Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Let's consider a RIPP supercharger.

If handled correctly, it won't void warranty, and it doesn't have any negative side effects on the V6 engine and components. In fact, baseline you'll see 1.5MPG avg increase, up to a max of 8MPG increase, depending on driving patterns. Of course there is also an increase of 200+horsepower, and 150ftlb of torque. They run around 5k for other vehicles but could be higher as they're not yet available for JT.

I bet I could make some of that money back on the drag strip against some raptor or charger owners.

What do you guys think? To me, right now, it's a no-brainer.
At first I thought this was an April Fools joke, but it was posted a few days late.

ANY mods to the engine and warranty = gone.

Forced induction has proven to be risky on this engine, due to it's aluminum block, open deck design, and already very high compression.

You won't gain MPG, you'll lose it. It's the stoichiometric ratio. More air in = more fuel in. It's that simple.

For $5k plus labor plus tuning costs...I'd be looking at a junkyard 6.4L engine to swap in myself and then have the tuning/wiring finished at a shop.

the-dude-abides

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020
Forced induction has proven to be risky on this engine, due to it's aluminum block, open deck design, and already very high compression.
To educate my n00b self, do you happen to have links to this proof? I remember on this forum one incident where a turbo blew up someone's engine but I'm dubious they weren't fiddling too much with the tune. Are there incidents over on the wrangler forums or elsewhere I haven't seen?

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
You won't gain MPG, you'll lose it. It's the stoichiometric ratio. More air in = more fuel in. It's that simple.
You're assuming that the stock tune runs a consistent 14.7:1 AF ratio. If stock tune is running 11:1 and the RIPP tune runs 13:1, then theoretically the RIPP tune will allow you to gain MPG. This of course ignores all other variables that go into tuning (such as if it's a safe AF ratio for the engine)

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've been enjoying RIPPs YouTube on the JL and 3.6s. They did show some steady torque increases from idle. Gonna be fun to see how FCA and Mopar respond in a few years for a V-8. The 3.6 and 8 sped are fun, quick w 4.10 and stock tires , 23-23 MPG, but It's no V-8 (2103 F150 302). I still love it though!

Sponsored

the-dude-abides

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020
I've been enjoying RIPPs YouTube on the JL and 3.6s. They did show some steady torque increases from idle. Gonna be fun to see how FCA and Mopar respond in a few years for a V-8. The 3.6 and 8 sped are fun, quick w 4.10 and stock tires , 23-23 MPG, but It's no V-8 (2103 F150 302). I still love it though!
It must be the Missouri hills where I live but I'm lucky to get 17mpg. It's more like 16mpg consistently.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have been 19-20 since I got back from Tenn and Shenandoah trip.average 20 all work week w i 95 stop go. Just got 23 highway and some 24 on that trip. Just realized the truck is rated for 23 hiway so not too much better.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
It must be the Missouri hills where I live but I'm lucky to get 17mpg. It's more like 16mpg consistently.
Are you using auto stop / start? I'm still on factory tires and last tank was 19.8 mpg with no highway driving

Sponsored

the-dude-abides

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020
If you're disabling auto stop/start then that would explain your MPGs. Expect ~2-3 MPG less than if you used it.
I doubt that but I’ll give it a shot for a tank and let you know. Also, sorry to derail this thread. Will take continued discussion elsewhere.

gladiatormotorsports

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gladiator-motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch
Occupation
Owner
Stay tuned for some craziness. Gladiator Motorsports just talked with RIPP Superchargers and a kit is on the way!!!!

This is the way to go, do not spend all that money on swapping engines when it is as simple as this!!

We will be creating a thread in our vendor marketplace for RIPP, so be sure to follow.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
These blower kits are all sounding fun, but I still want to see a LOT of these engines running them for tens of thousands of miles without issue before I'd consider it. Longevity is the key for truck guys.

jjmstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
The key will be making the transmission live behind the added torque and not blow up.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The key will be making the transmission live behind the added torque and not blow up.
The newer ZF-based 8-speed transmissions FCA is using now are put behind everything from Wranglers to Rams to Challenger Hellcats. I don't think handling power is ever going to be a concern for the transmissions.

The engine, on the other hand, is sketchy. It's already 11:1 compression, aluminum block and heads, and a lightweight open deck design. A forced induction kit will have to be tuned perfectly if the engine is going to survive long term.
Sponsored