Sponsored

Any have the RIPP on their JT yet and whats been the experience so far ?

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Amazing power . I feel the power is pretty instant and definitely linear - I think most chargers are if u compare them to turbos.... With the right tune it hasn’t bucked at all , but early on I was running a tad rich and there was some stuttering associated with that . With the right tune you shouldn’t have any issues like that . The trans and shift points are spot on as well - much better then stock tbh .
Thanks for the reply. Who did the engine and trans tuning on your kit? Ripp website says they only do a basic engine tune and no trans tuning?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Cburgess33

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator rubicon and 2018 Rubicon JL
Thanks for the reply. Who did the engine and trans tuning on your kit? Ripp website says they only do a basic engine tune and no trans tuning?
The tuning : http://www.hillside4x4.com/ went back n forth with Ripp to get the tune dialed in. And i think you are correct that the trans wasn’t tuned but I just had to go through a re-learning path. I had what is probably a common issue with stock shifting between like 4th and 5th where u would almost have to let of the gas and then re-apply throttle to get a decent shift between those gears (that doesnt happen for me any more but maybe it was the relearn ). Lets just say getting into 8th is a lot easier now too

JDawg11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubi Diesel
The tuning : http://www.hillside4x4.com/ went back n forth with Ripp to get the tune dialed in. And i think you are correct that the trans wasn’t tuned but I just had to go through a re-learning path. I had what is probably a common issue with stock shifting between like 4th and 5th where u would almost have to let of the gas and then re-apply throttle to get a decent shift between those gears (that doesnt happen for me any more but maybe it was the relearn ). Lets just say getting into 8th is a lot easier now too
I just sold my 2020 Gladiator. In nov of 2019 I installed the RIPP which was one of the first ones out in the wild. I had a local performance shop do it. I put 35k miles on it. I did get decent power but at a cost. Had issues with original tune and blew smoke out exhaust when I accelerated. It drove me nuts. Also figured out the hard way that the transmission relearns and overrides tunes which sucks for shift intervals. Also did well to get 12mpg. Horrible. I took it back to my shop too many times until I just couldn’t stand it any more. I loved it up front until I just couldn’t anymore. I just got rid of it and ordered a new sarge green Rubi with ecodiesel which I had in a grand Cherokee a few years back. I lifted it immediately and put my 37s on. I absolutely love it. All the power I need and average 20mpg.

15D88EE6-FEE5-4D68-8ADB-4E78B0CE7B92.jpeg

3C851E1E-C2B5-4585-A9F5-D133A6BB5482.jpeg

OP
OP
Cburgess33

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh wow that’s too bad . Once I got the tuned dialed I’ve had no issues . I get 20mpg highway driving and do get around 12mpg just around town . No issues shifting and easily gets into 8th.
Tune is def critical .

Sponsored

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
Oh wow that’s too bad . Once I got the tuned dialed I’ve had no issues . I get 20mpg highway driving and do get around 12mpg just around town . No issues shifting and easily gets into 8th.
Tune is def critical .
Thats encouraging to hear. Who did the tuning for you?

OP
OP
Cburgess33

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats encouraging to hear. Who did the tuning for you?
I worked with RIPP. You apply out of box tune , run with data logging , and go from there . They are very responsive . Or some people trade out the diablo based tune and use HP - from there they can do their own tuning or go to a shop (tune / dyno etc) . The diablo tune worked for me after second tune so I just kept rolling with it since i was happy with results .

OP
OP
Cburgess33

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I said I would post updates and its been well over a year of install , decent amount of hwy driving and decent amount of off roading :

1)Still recommend this to those interested
2)Tune has been solid and no cels and I run it hard at very high evaluations (9k)
3)Awesome power still
4)Around town getting about 12mpg
5)Hwy very nice and around 18mpg
6)Use to have squeaky belt on cold start for a bit but that has gotten a lot worse lately . Its actually very annoying and takes a bit of driving before it goes away. I guess its way worse when I haven’t driven it in a bit on cold start . Right now this is biggest complaint with this setup

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
New to the JT forum, but have been over on the JL forum for a few years. My friend put a Ripp on his JTR last summer, and blew the engine in the first 500 miles. Never could get the tune right with Ripp, spent 1000's trying to diagnose the issue, then finally discovered all 3 rings on the left bank were damaged and cylinder walls scarred. They just buttoned up putting new engine yesterday, and pullied down for less boost, so I am anxious to see how this set up works.

OP
OP
Cburgess33

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New to the JT forum, but have been over on the JL forum for a few years. My friend put a Ripp on his JTR last summer, and blew the engine in the first 500 miles. Never could get the tune right with Ripp, spent 1000's trying to diagnose the issue, then finally discovered all 3 rings on the left bank were damaged and cylinder walls scarred. They just buttoned up putting new engine yesterday, and pullied down for less boost, so I am anxious to see how this set up works.
So your friend damaged his engine in first 500 and believes it was the tune ? But he still gonna run a RIPP again on the new replacement engine ?

Sponsored

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So your friend damaged his engine in first 500 and believes it was the tune ? But he still gonna run a RIPP again on the new replacement engine ?
I short, yes, but the cause of the actual damage was never really discovered?!
Being familiar with other FI on corvettes and Ls cars, my guess was too much boost; but I don’t really know?!

OP
OP
Cburgess33

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I short, yes, but the cause of the actual damage was never really discovered?!
Being familiar with other FI on corvettes and Ls cars, my guess was too much boost; but I don’t really know?!
brave!!!!! But there have been some issue from manufacturing with misfires and stuff on the JT. Who knows if it had those types of problems from the start and then to toss boost on top of that

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
My guess knowing what I know now and a very super brief description of the issues, my guess would be variable valve timing not set ideally along with ignition timing causing brief moments of super high cylinder pressures, that will lock the rings into the cylinder wall. Once I got airflow correct I logged brief instances of knock and fuel derate along with a lean condition. Extensive logging of the cam position during this period showed that the system was decreasing overlap at almost the exact opposite time than would be ideal, and adding timing. This would be ok on NA cars as you want some of that at accel and WOT. But not when you are adding manifold pressure and now those operating conditions are mid power band.

Last edited:

Eme

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gator green
I as well put a ripp on my new glad. I am not sure if I made 500 miles and a rod went through the block. I am waiting to see Ripps reply. The unit does provide an impressive feel but with the squeeks and the rod problem I will not be putting it back on. I found a hungry buyer currently and after the new engine is installed I will be moving on from Jeep.

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I as well put a ripp on my new glad. I am not sure if I made 500 miles and a rod went through the block. I am waiting to see Ripps reply. The unit does provide an impressive feel but with the squeeks and the rod problem I will not be putting it back on. I found a hungry buyer currently and after the new engine is installed I will be moving on from Jeep.
Update on my friends Ripp with the new engine, and they still can't get it right with the tune. He says he's over it, and is looking for a diesel.
Not sure if it's mechanically sound or not? He had a tuner shop install the new crate engine and re-install the Ripp, so I'd presume the install is legit. Sounds like the problem is tuning, and cannot seem to find anyone to get it right?!
Sponsored