Sponsored

Roaming Portugal: Jeep Gladiator or Alternatives?

OP
OP

joseeph

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
i grew up in Europe. (perks of being an air force brat). For the most part of it, especially on the Atlantic coast side, Public transportation is fantastic. It's almost stupid to own a car there, depending on where you live. I have 12 siblings, and when my parents ordered a 15 passenger chevy 3500 van from back home to the netherlands where we lived. Let me just say that was a lot of vehicle for there. 6.0 liter V8 and a massive fuel tank. got like 10mpg. not cheap in the EU. but a tank lasted us 2 weeks. we could most anywhere in a few hours. 500 mile range is fantastic over there. but anyway, a glady is cool but i'd only get one over there if i wanted to wheel/explore a lot of spain since its empty for the most part but very pretty. Portugal, I'd just rent bicycles or mopeds as needed.
That's a great perspective on transportation options in Europe from someone who grew up there. Renting bicycles or mopeds does seem like a more affordable and authentic way to get around Portugal's coastal areas. Public transportation is also very convenient in many European cities.

One potential downside is that exploring more remote areas away from the cities may be harder without a vehicle. But for most tourism within Portugal, alternate options like bikes, scooters or trains/buses should work well. Appreciate the insights into why a larger vehicle may not make as much sense there compared to the US. Will definitely factor these local transportation norms into my rental car decision-making and itinerary planning. Thanks for the useful tips, @PuddleJumper!
Sponsored

OP
OP

joseeph

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a lot to see and do in Lisbon. Food is good and cheap as well. I must’ve had a dozen egg tarts in the week I was there. Im sure you’ve got an itinerary but I can give you some recommendations if you are just starting to plan your trip.
Thanks for the tip about egg tarts in Lisbon! Are those the same as 'pastéis de nata'? I'd love to hear any other recommended restaurant where I can enjoy these egg tarts and Fado music at the same place. My itinerary is still fairly open. So far, I have a few days planned in Lisbon to explore downtown, the Alfama district, and Belém. I'm also eager to visit other areas with day trips to Sintra, Monsanto, Monsaraz, and Peniche.

GeneralMaximus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM
Thanks for the tip about egg tarts in Lisbon! Are those the same as 'pastéis de nata'? I'd love to hear any other recommended restaurant where I can enjoy these egg tarts and Fado music at the same place.
Yes I just called them egg tarts because thats what they are to us here in ‘murica. They are sold everywhere but the most popular place I saw was called Manteigaria near the Chiado subway stop

Go check out the Time Out Market near the water. It seemed like a local’s after-work gathering spot for food and music. I ate the best sardine i’ve ever had there. Very simple, baked on top of a slice of bread with a little red pepper. And of course, every meal I ate was complimented with a glass of Vinho Verde wine.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
I would try to rent a new Suzuki Jimny, since we're probably never going to get them in the states. Have some fun driving something different.
Jeep Gladiator Roaming Portugal: Jeep Gladiator or Alternatives? IMG_8388

OP
OP

joseeph

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I just called them egg tarts because thats what they are to us here in ‘murica. They are sold everywhere but the most popular place I saw was called Manteigaria near the Chiado subway stop

Go check out the Time Out Market near the water. It seemed like a local’s after-work gathering spot for food and music. I ate the best sardine i’ve ever had there. Very simple, baked on top of a slice of bread with a little red pepper. And of course, every meal I ate was complimented with a glass of Vinho Verde wine.
Thanks so much for the recommendations! Being able to try the best sardine you’ve ever had sounds perfect with a glass of wine. I'm glad to know egg tarts/pastéis de nata are sold almost everywhere, but also appreciate you calling out Manteigaria as the most popular place to get them. I'm excited to experience the flavors and culture of Lisbon. Your tips will really enhance my visit - much obliged for taking the time to share!

OP
OP

joseeph

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would try to rent a new Suzuki Jimny, since we're probably never going to get them in the states. Have some fun driving something different.
Jeep Gladiator Roaming Portugal: Jeep Gladiator or Alternatives? IMG_8388
The Suzuki Jimny is a great recommendation as an alternative to the Jeep Gladiator in Portugal. I've heard such good things about the Jimny's off-road capabilities despite its smaller size. Renting one would be a unique opportunity to drive a vehicle not available back home. And I'm sure it would be perfectly suited to navigating the terrain in rural parts of Portugal. Thanks for the suggestion, @azmojave! I'll definitely look into renting a Jimny for my trip. Driving something different is half the fun of an international road trip. I'm looking forward to exploring Portugal's scenic roads in a trusty Suzuki.
Sponsored