Sponsored

RSI Smart Cap -- which hard shell roof top tent RTT to use with it?

Its_Mr.Rogers

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Oil & Gas
I'm considering in my build of not going with a bed rack, but the the RSI Smart Cap. I'm.curious on what hard shell roof top tent you are running?
Sponsored

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
If I were looking at a smart cap with the intent to RTT I would wash it and get the GFRC…. Cost of a GOOD clamshell and an rsi is not a ton less than the gfrc…

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave
If I were looking at a smart cap with the intent to RTT I would wash it and get the GFRC…. Cost of a GOOD clamshell and an rsi is not a ton less than the gfrc…
I choose not to go with the GFC topper/camper combo due to reports of condensation issues. Something like the iKamper BDV Duo that keeps an air gap between the tent fabric and the roof seems like a better design. Cost for the GFC setup is actually is quite a bit more than a cap plus RTT: $10,350 installed when configured with similar options to an RSI Smartcap plus BDV Duo (self-assembled version), which totals around $6,600. And the BDV can be changed out independently if I decide I want a different RTT.

Biggest plus for GFC setup is the ability to stand up in it, but I sure don't want to wake up in the morning with it having "rained" on my feet during the night due to condensation. I still might consider GFC, but I want to wait for their next generation.
Sponsored

Last edited: