First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Well, I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a rtt. My plan is wife and small kids up top, teen and myself in an annex.

I was looking at the roam vagabond w/annex. I like the layout and the black version would match my truck great. Seems to have the right balance of feature and price.
$2,100 shipped (30 days out or so for black, forest green in stock)

Then I saw the 23zero had that light suppression and that's my jam (if I ever get to sleep up there lol).
Walkabout 62 queen
$2,468.00 shipped (unknown ship date)

Are there any others I should consider in this price/feature range?
Sponsored

MMMII

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR - 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Redfin - Real Estate Consultant
I have that ROAM tent and didn't consider where the annex goes in relation to the ladder before buying (I'm old what can I say). For my use, I got lucky.

The ROAM tent ladder goes inside the annex so your annex footprint is larger (useable space is debatable) vs. a RTT where the annex goes under the ladder.

I'm able to get two cots in the annex with space for "things". I would think that 3 sleeping bags would be no problem. YMMV.

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I have that ROAM tent and didn't consider where the annex goes in relation to the ladder before buying (I'm old what can I say). For my use, I got lucky.

The ROAM tent ladder goes inside the annex so your annex footprint is larger (useable space is debatable) vs. a RTT where the annex goes under the ladder.

I'm able to get two cots in the annex with space for "things". I would think that 3 sleeping bags would be no problem. YMMV.
Yeah I want the ladder inside for sure.
The annex would pull double or triple duty, sleep area, hangout area.
I think the roam is a good fit (in stock is a huge plus right now) but I'm not sure about getting the XL or not.
I have the softopper and the datin Fabrications cage/rack I'm not worried about height too much as I already don't fit in the garage (door hangs too low). But I'm not sure how excessive overhang in the back would effect things.

d0n

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I think the answer depends greatly on where you intend to use it. In much of the west an annex is nothing more than a giant wind sail so my solution is smaller footprint RTT + ground tent. I can properly stake out a low profile 2-person ground tent, while staking out an annex out here is quite difficult and not something that I would ever leave set up when I'm not around. Then it comes down to hard shell vs. soft shell vs. hybrid. Lots of very good soft options from Front Runner, Smitty, 23Zero and others that would have annex options. The hybrids, like from iKamper, seem decent although I've never used. FWIW I'm in a hardshell Rooftnest Falcon on top with a 4-season ground tent when we are off piste and can't bring the trailer. I'm personally not a fan of the soft shell options as they are a huge pain to stow which largely defeats the cost of carrying a very heavy, very expensive, high profile stack of canvas on your rig.

+ Keep in mind all of this is attached to your vehicle. Unless you are staying put or moving camp every day, you have a bit of work to stow the RTT in order to use the vehicle for day trips, resupply, etc. and why a hard shell + ground tent works for me.

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I think the answer depends greatly on where you intend to use it. In much of the west an annex is nothing more than a giant wind sail so my solution is smaller footprint RTT + ground tent. I can properly stake out a low profile 2-person ground tent, while staking out an annex out here is quite difficult and not something that I would ever leave set up when I'm not around. Then it comes down to hard shell vs. soft shell vs. hybrid. Lots of very good soft options from Front Runner, Smitty, 23Zero and others that would have annex options. The hybrids, like from iKamper, seem decent although I've never used. FWIW I'm in a hardshell Rooftnest Falcon on top with a 4-season ground tent when we are off piste and can't bring the trailer. I'm personally not a fan of the soft shell options as they are a huge pain to stow which largely defeats the cost of carrying a very heavy, very expensive, high profile stack of canvas on your rig.

+ Keep in mind all of this is attached to your vehicle. Unless you are staying put or moving camp every day, you have a bit of work to stow the RTT in order to use the vehicle for day trips, resupply, etc. and why a hard shell + ground tent works for me.
I'm in Kentucky.
Ikamper etc are just out if my budget currently. Also I don't want to spend too much as sometimes the rest of my family may end up not liking the "rough it" aspects as much as me. Lol
We want to do some runs to the beach and a few local spots where there is a campground but also a nice community pool/fishing/hiking setup. I've got a piece of property deep in the country I'd like to spend the night at myself. Stuff like that.

Sponsored

oemacdonald

First Name
Uffda.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Lady of Many Hats, Home Life Executive đź‘’
We just bought a roam vagabond with annex directly from rebel off road, ordered a few minutes before closing last Friday- it shipped out Monday from AZ and I scheduled pick up Wednesday in WA/ID. Waiting on our rack still to be able to install, but hands down would recommend giving them a chance at your business. I had many questions as a newbie to all this and every call and email was answered by a real (very helpful) person who has real life experience to be able to help me decide when I was stuck debating on a few things! I can’t wait for the rest of this order to show up, and to make my next!

Edited to add- it is a HEAVY ASS awkward box and you should have help moving it. I did it myself (5’7” woman) with a two year old “helping” me get it from the back of my SHIELDMAIDEN up the steps into the house and I don’t recommend it to anyone.

d0n

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Then I think Smitty, Tuff Stuff, 23Zero, Roam or Front Runner could probably work. Will be high profile and hard to stow but generous footprints, annex options and priced right.

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
We just bought a roam vagabond with annex directly from rebel off road, ordered a few minutes before closing last Friday- it shipped out Monday from AZ and I scheduled pick up Wednesday in WA/ID. Waiting on our rack still to be able to install, but hands down would recommend giving them a chance at your business. I had many questions as a newbie to all this and every call and email was answered by a real (very helpful) person who has real life experience to be able to help me decide when I was stuck debating on a few things! I can’t wait for the rest of this order to show up, and to make my next!

Edited to add- it is a HEAVY ASS awkward box and you should have help moving it. I did it myself (5’7” woman) with a two year old “helping” me get it from the back of my SHIELDMAIDEN up the steps into the house and I don’t recommend it to anyone.
Could a dolly be used to make it easier? I'll just be sitting it in the garage, probably make hoist eventually. Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:

oemacdonald

First Name
Uffda.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Could a dolly be used to make it easier? I'll just be sitting it in the garage, probably make hoist eventually. Thanks for the heads up!
It would make it easier once it’s out of whatever it’s delivered in! I had to go to fed ex to pick it up because I was in an area they couldn’t bring a big truck to! If you’re in a deliverable area I bet they could just run it into your garage with their pallet jack! Also, the box fits inside the bed of the gladiator with the tailgate closed- was my first big item “haul” made me happy!

BE1F6220-7675-42E1-BEA2-7F3556F0D1A4.jpeg

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
It would make it easier once it’s out of whatever it’s delivered in! I had to go to fed ex to pick it up because I was in an area they couldn’t bring a big truck to! If you’re in a deliverable area I bet they could just run it into your garage with their pallet jack! Also, the box fits inside the bed of the gladiator with the tailgate closed- was my first big item “haul” made me happy!

Jeep Gladiator Rtt suggestions/opinions BE1F6220-7675-42E1-BEA2-7F3556F0D1A4
lol nice! they drive their normal big trucks down my flat driveway all the time. I dont think id have any issues with delivering it. Im actually not sure it would fit that way on my truck because i have the softopper and cage on. but I have a trailer too so im sure it would work.
so did you like it? love it?

Sponsored

oemacdonald

First Name
Uffda.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
lol nice! they drive their normal big trucks down my flat driveway all the time. I dont think id have any issues with delivering it. Im actually not sure it would fit that way on my truck because i have the softopper and cage on. but I have a trailer too so im sure it would work.
so did you like it? love it?
Sadly it’s still hanging out in the box, but I have myself believing I’m going to love every bit of it. Waiting on my rack (bumper and winch lol) to come in and I’ll have a definite answer!

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Sadly it’s still hanging out in the box, but I have myself believing I’m going to love every bit of it. Waiting on my rack (bumper and winch lol) to come in and I’ll have a definite answer!
ah I see, nice!

tabrods

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport s
Occupation
Retired
Got a Yakima RTT two years ago from REI on sale for $750.00. Holds two adults comfortably and takes me 15 minutes on a slow day to setup. You can spend a lot more but not sure what you get for all that extra money.

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
I just purchased/installed a roam with the annex. Haven't camped in it yet... but I can say 100%, the quality exceeded my expectations. I am happy enough with my purchase that I ordered a matching awning yesterday.

Will also confirm... super heavy, bulky box. I managed to get it mounted on my own but it was no joke.

Jeep Gladiator Rtt suggestions/opinions 20210505_133006
Jeep Gladiator Rtt suggestions/opinions 20210505_151527
Jeep Gladiator Rtt suggestions/opinions 20210505_154044
Jeep Gladiator Rtt suggestions/opinions 20210505_154059
Jeep Gladiator Rtt suggestions/opinions 20210505_154116
Jeep Gladiator Rtt suggestions/opinions 20210505_154136

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I just purchased/installed a roam with the annex. Haven't camped in it yet... but I can say 100%, the quality exceeded my expectations. I am happy enough with my purchase that I ordered a matching awning yesterday.

Will also confirm... super heavy, bulky box. I managed to get it mounted on my own but it was no joke.

is this the XL?
Im basically just sitting here with tape measures in the living room floor trying to visualize the sleeping area's of several tents. lol My wife is just like "well we have to have the king ultra 6000"
I really like the vagabond - just has that look that is nice.
But I also cannot deny that I would absolutely love the light blocking tech the 23zero has, sadly they are like $300 shipped vs the vagabond shipped for $5. $300 shipped just pushes it out I think because that isnt $300 worth of usefulness you get to use, if that makes sense. I could stick that $300 into something else (fridge, solar for fridge etc)
Im looking at overland vehicle systems and they seem really nice too, 4 year warranty too I think. : O
Sponsored