San Diego

jfontain

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hi, I am interested in a Gladiator, but am completely new to Jeeps. I've never owned one and don't know anyone that has.

I am in the market for a vehicle and came across the Gladiator primarily due to it being one of the few remaining cars with a manual transmission. I have read plenty of posts and articles about how you lose significant towing, how nice the auto is and how a jeep/gladiator manual is NOT a sports/muscle car transmission, but I miss rowing through the gears way too much and the days of a manual are numbered. My previous 2 cars were a 500WHP Mustang Cobra and then due to kids made the switch to a crew cab F150. The Gladiator ended up checking off a lot of wants:
  • Manual Transmission
  • Seats 5 relatively comfortably? (no experience, but hopefully more comfortably than a muscle car or sports sedan, especially if they're children)
  • I loved my F150 and was a Home Depot Hero before it was totaled
  • Jeeps are famously fun to drive
I was hoping to meet up with someone around the San Diego area and go for a ride along to actually see the vehicle. I could just test drive it at a dealership but I hate the pressure and you really only get to be in the car for a 5 min loop. I'd be happy to buy a beer or coffee or whatever. Manual isn't a must, I'm assuming they're extremely rare. The closest I can find right now to test drive is in Vegas.
Sponsored

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Hi, I am interested in a Gladiator, but am completely new to Jeeps. I've never owned one and don't know anyone that has.

I am in the market for a vehicle and came across the Gladiator primarily due to it being one of the few remaining cars with a manual transmission. I have read plenty of posts and articles about how you lose significant towing, how nice the auto is and how a jeep/gladiator manual is NOT a sports/muscle car transmission, but I miss rowing through the gears way too much and the days of a manual are numbered. My previous 2 cars were a 500WHP Mustang Cobra and then due to kids made the switch to a crew cab F150. The Gladiator ended up checking off a lot of wants:
  • Manual Transmission
  • Seats 5 relatively comfortably? (no experience, but hopefully more comfortably than a muscle car or sports sedan, especially if they're children)
  • I loved my F150 and was a Home Depot Hero before it was totaled
  • Jeeps are famously fun to drive
I was hoping to meet up with someone around the San Diego area and go for a ride along to actually see the vehicle. I could just test drive it at a dealership but I hate the pressure and you really only get to be in the car for a 5 min loop. I'd be happy to buy a beer or coffee or whatever. Manual isn't a must, I'm assuming they're extremely rare. The closest I can find right now to test drive is in Vegas.
I’d say check this one out. Used but should be a perfect preview. Plus Carmax is very low pressure.

32EE7A89-7E47-40FD-82D6-B03EC736E822.png

OP
OP

jfontain

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks, that's perfect to test out. I haven't been to a Carmax in a long, long time and they didn't come up in my auto trader search. Kinda forgot all about them.

mtngoat92081

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow, Mazdaspeed 3
Where are you located in San Diego. I am in North County and work around the UTC area. Happy to show you mine. This is #4 for me, you're right on all acounts on expectations. Mine isn't a manual, but you could at least get an idea of ride etc... LMK

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
If u wanna try a diesel on big tires I’ll answer questions for beer anytime

Sponsored

TEvs

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Sting Grey
Occupation
Business Broker
North County in a manual rubicon-- down to meet up if you would like

OP
OP

jfontain

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks all. I'm pretty close to putting in a build order, I just need to go back to check if 2 car seats and a booster will fit in the back seat. If anyone is free this week to meet up, instead of me going to CarMax, that'd be great to meet an owner. I saw SolarWizard was trying to organize a wrench party too, which I'm all for once I get a JT. If you 3 want to meet somewhere convenient for everyone, maybe Encinitas Ale House, Viewpoint Brewery or Gravity Heights would be good halfway points?

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
I am in poway pretty close to Peddar Jeep!

TEvs

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Sting Grey
Occupation
Business Broker
Work is kinda crazy for me this week, so Ill be stuck in Escondido/ San Marcos but can maybe come down the 15 a bit if necessary

OP
OP

jfontain

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
No worries. Maybe next week sometime or if the weekend is easier, I could try to sneak away from family for an hour or 2?
Anyone else free? There's also Second Chance Brewery near Poway if that's easier for you and @AstroZombie.
@mtngoat92081 must be Vista or that's an old zip code.

I'm really torn on the models, and have 0 prior Jeep experience.
I'm trying to research if it is cost effective to go more base model or if putting in lift + gears, etc ends up costing close to the upper models, that I might as well get that plus the benefit of the locking diff(s), skid plates, factory lift, etc.
Unfortunately, I didn't get an order in and just this weekend Jeep up'ed prices about $2k around the board, at least for the 2 builds I got quoted on. Little bummed...

Sponsored

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I am in Escondido and drive a manual Rubicon. We can meet up at The Oasis in Escondido and trade beers for info.

mtngoat92081

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No worries. Maybe next week sometime or if the weekend is easier, I could try to sneak away from family for an hour or 2?
Anyone else free? There's also Second Chance Brewery near Poway if that's easier for you and @AstroZombie.

I'm trying to research if it is cost effective to go more base model or if putting in lift + gears, etc ends up costing close to the upper models, that I might as well get that plus the benefit of the locking diff(s), skid plates, factory lift, etc.
Unfortunately, I didn't get an order in and just this weekend Jeep up'ed prices about $2k around the board, at least for the 2 builds I got quoted on. Little bummed...

That works for me, I'm actually in Fallbrook now, but I work in UTC, so I can just plan my day to head home whenever you wanna meet up.

There are so many ways you can go with the build. I wanted mine to be as capable as possible so that meant the sport s with max tow package at a minimum. I've built 3 Jeeps, (2 TJs and a JK) and although there aren't plans to build this gladiator for rock crawling, I wanted the most towing capability, 4:10 gears and wider axles. The front disco on the rubi wasn't worth losing the towing capability, plus, for a couple hundred, I installed the good old manual disconnects just in case. My sport is now basically a rubicon minus the electric disconnects, and higher wheel wells. But I have more towing capability (payload), and 4:10 gearing.

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support

i was always torn too on what to get. What drove me to the rubicon is it has just about everything I would have wanted to add already, skid plates and lockers. I add the fact i have a wife 3 kids and a house finding money to upgrade isn't in my bank roll and add the car payments for a 60k vehicle just yet. I will probably add the mopar lift and change the gears and that's it. as of now i am really happy with what it has. Even the automatic. I always wanted a manual trans and think its way more fun off-roading but wife and kids factor, even though they can drive stick just add piece of mind if anyone else is driving it. Yup, my wife and kids can drive a manual trans vehicle HAHAHA.

OP
OP

jfontain

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
i was always torn too on what to get. What drove me to the rubicon is it has just about everything I would have wanted to add already, skid plates and lockers. I add the fact i have a wife 3 kids and a house finding money to upgrade isn't in my bank roll and add the car payments for a 60k vehicle just yet. I will probably add the mopar lift and change the gears and that's it. as of now i am really happy with what it has. Even the automatic. I always wanted a manual trans and think its way more fun off-roading but wife and kids factor, even though they can drive stick just add piece of mind if anyone else is driving it. Yup, my wife and kids can drive a manual trans vehicle HAHAHA.
Yea, that's my struggle not being a Jeep (or even off-roader in general), I don't know what things cost. If I go base model, are gears, lockers, lift kit, skid plates, rock sliders, etc all add up to a Rubi/Mojave anyway? Or will I determine I really don't need most of it.
I'm pretty realistic in that the majority of the time I'm a child Chauffer, with the goal to start off-roading a bit. But from the limited research I've done, I know I'm going to want to put on at least 35s, so with the base I'd need a lift and gears. With the upper models I wouldn't need to do anything for a while.
I'm also dealing with a bit of Jeep brand sticker shock...

Love that your family can drive manual. I really respect that. My sister and I grew up on it, and she still rocks a manual 2005 WRX. I taught my wife 20 years ago, but it's been many a year. I think that'll be fun though, to re-teach her and get the kids into it. Luckily my oldest is 7 so I have a few years.

I'm sure someone has an explanation to this and I haven't bothered to research yet but I'm also a bit shocked that the manual cuts towing down 50%. I don't have anything to tow (yet), so I'm not as worried about it. But there are plenty of transmissions (tremecs, etc) that can handle 500-1000HP and more importantly torque, I'd think they could handle the payload/tow.

mtngoat92081

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea, that's my struggle not being a Jeep (or even off-roader in general), I don't know what things cost. If I go base model, are gears, lockers, lift kit, skid plates, rock sliders, etc all add up to a Rubi/Mojave anyway? Or will I determine I really don't need most of it.
I'm pretty realistic in that the majority of the time I'm a child Chauffer, with the goal to start off-roading a bit. But from the limited research I've done, I know I'm going to want to put on at least 35s, so with the base I'd need a lift and gears. With the upper models I wouldn't need to do anything for a while.
I'm also dealing with a bit of Jeep brand sticker shock...

Love that your family can drive manual. I really respect that. My sister and I grew up on it, and she still rocks a manual 2005 WRX. I taught my wife 20 years ago, but it's been many a year. I think that'll be fun though, to re-teach her and get the kids into it. Luckily my oldest is 7 so I have a few years.

I'm sure someone has an explanation to this and I haven't bothered to research yet but I'm also a bit shocked that the manual cuts towing down 50%. I don't have anything to tow (yet), so I'm not as worried about it. But there are plenty of transmissions (tremecs, etc) that can handle 500-1000HP and more importantly torque, I'd think they could handle the payload/tow.
Depending on what brand/quality of aftermarket parts you get the sky's the linit with cost. Reliable /good aftermarket equipment might put you slighy over what you would've paid to get it from factory. My guess is that if you are not realistically buying this for any type of rock crawling, it really is a waste of $ to get the rubi. Because of the long wheelbase it's generally not a good choice for serious rock crawling anyway. You would need at least 42" tires in my opinion to get a decent breakover angle. I agree that the non rubi tire packages are pretty emabarrasing from the factory, but you can actually put 35's on the stock non rubicon models. For everyday driving they will be fine and not rub. Taken off road with moderate articulation, they will rub, but all you need is a 3/4 teraflex spring spacer front and vack and you're good to go. Those are pretty cheap. Rubi fenders are also pretty easy to find around here too. I put 33" tires on mine and The spacer lift and I think it's the perfect combo for daily driving. I drive from Fallbrook to UTC and I'm getting a solid 19-20 mpg's stop and go mileage is 16-17 mpg. Hope that helps. Love talking about this stuff!
Sponsored