Saw FIVE in 3 hours!!

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
So plywood wins the deeebate! And, I tracked the price part of this. Jeep knows it won't sell a million new, so priced it high. Buyers think it will hold resale value. But I'm watching Avis. If Avis or the like sell a used LE or a M/T, that could fall into my price range and one of my builds that I would buy. There is a large crowd that is price sensitive, so the bottom of the market, that lower price point, is extremely strong. And, nobody predicted 30 on one lot and 20 on another lot this early. So nobody can say pent up demand anymore. This is a pricing problem. The price solution is lower priced than currently, given they are not moving. Wait and see...
Sponsored

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
For the sake of conversation, what you're describing would be then be analogous to the WK/XK conversation, correct? I had a WK when I purchased my XK (still own). XK's did not draw new buyers into the Jeep segment because there were plenty of other competitors to the XK when it was produced. That is an accurate statement and Jeep released the numbers publicly when they discontinued XK production. So, if we assume you're point about JL's/JT's drawing from the same pool of Jeep owners is accurate, therefore they will need to be discounted to sell, we would have to assume that other competitors to the JT exist, correct? This is where I would then ask "who is the competition today?"

There is not another vehicle that offers the experience/heritage, which I would wager is the main motivating factor in Wrangler/Gladiator purchases.
  • I confidently say the above from practical, professional experience as demonstrated by another company. I worked at John Deere corporate for many years within the software engineering practice. Year after year, for decades upon decades, the number one reason that John Deere sells so well is that their customer base wants Green (literally, the color green) equipment. This in the face of competition that many times offers a superior product.
After the aforementioned, it then becomes a prioritized list that is a little more personal to each customer. Perhaps, off road ability, a truck bed, options offered, being a part of the 'Jeep Family', etc.

Do I think there are Wrangler (JL, specifically) owners who will move to a Gladiator, yes. Is this the primary customer base for a Gladiator, no in my opinion. I think that's why we see/hear about the Ford Bronco and some of it's rumored offerings (removable doors, top, future truck, etc.)

At this point, if I were a dealer, there isn't an incentive to negotiate. The marketing and advertising campaigns haven't even begun yet. Which is also why I would encourage all current owners to bask in the glory of being very unique at the moment because that won't be the case at some point in the future.
https://amp.detroitnews.com/amp/1858415001

I would say the aforementioned link, on some level, substantiates my conversation.

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just don’t think these are gonna sell without some kind of incentive, stock is already starting to build up on dealers lots.

This is a very specific vehicle for a very specific person, most will just opt for the cheaper wrangler, it’s only 2.5/ft shorter.

It’s like Jeep is competing against itself with the Wrangler and Gladiator, idk maybe this is all just wishful thinking on my part cause I want it a little cheaper.
https://amp.detroitnews.com/amp/1858415001

Kjm18

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JT Rubicon - Delivered 7/23
Occupation
Attorney
I REALLY wish I could tell you I did. This is the only jeep that I haven't completely de-badged. Reasoning: I had to leave the Trail Rated badge on due to the indent in which it sits. Given that, we decided to leave the Launch Edition and JEEP badge on the tailgate. I will say, I can see the JEEP badge coming off soon. I just think it's a much cleaner look! I convinced darn near every sales, parts and service person at the dealership to do the same but I understand it's not for everyone. On the flip side, which drives me nuts, when I de-badged my XK Overland, a fellow forum member there purchased all of my badges and put them on his base model XK.....WHY?
Just be aware that there are two holes in the tailgate behind the "e"s in JEEP. If you take them off the holes will show unless you have an idea to fill them in.

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just be aware that there are two holes in the tailgate behind the "e"s in JEEP. If you take them off the holes will show unless you have an idea to fill them in.
It's my understanding that the holes are behind the J and the P. Once I found this out, leaving as is for now.

Sponsored

Kjm18

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JT Rubicon - Delivered 7/23
Occupation
Attorney

Mkcatl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500

Lets see if they can keep up those numbers for July and beyond after all the people that have been patiently waiting for this vehicle for well over a year have bought one. I still believe they will have to have off some type of incentive to move these within the year. We shall see, I'm gonna wait til the New Year before I buy mine.

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Saw my first in the wild! It was on a middleman truck headed overseas to it's new owner.

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
I am not going to pretend I am intimately familiar with the mid size market as a whole. I would hope (confidently say this is a reality) that Jeep did it's due diligence over the last 10-15 years since this was a concept and made an extremely educated decision when deciding to enter this segment. I will share that the sample of other owners who have approached me is represented by the following:

1 = Brand new JL owner said he's kicking himself for not waiting for the Gladiator but he can't afford to sell and buy
3 = Colorado owners who said they will be switching as soon as they can (+1 for my dad, but I did not include him in the aforementioned 3)
3 = Ranger owners who all said they had no clue this 'was a thing' and will, also, be switching as soon as they can
1 = Tesla owner (former Jeep guy) said he had no clue Jeep was building a truck and is giving his Telsa to his wife now

The aforementioned means nothing, I know. Just sharing....

If Gladiator runs for 5 years, at the end of the day, I am ecstatic that I got one of them! The Jeep brand carries FCA and the Wrangler is always going to be the flagship of the brand. I suspect Jeep knows what they're doing with this truck.

It'd be interesting to have the current JL owners chime in. For me, I'd take one of both (JL & JT) as they are different enough that I would use them in different ways. I am sure we'd all take both!
We bought a fully loaded JL Moab as my "wife's" SUV. This is our first Jeep and fell in love. My next vehicle will be the Gladiator. Why? Well, since I have been bit by the DIY bug, I need that extra 2.5 feet of extra length in the Gladiator to haul stuff to and from Lowes and my home. Lol.

Also, we are just now getting into camping since our kids are getting older. I think the Gladiator has more flexibility/utility in terms of Overlanding. I have been in a Tacoma and a Bison. No other mid size truck offers the elbow room and comfort the Gladiator does. For a family of four, elbow room is huge.

Just need to decide if the Rubicon is worth the extra $4K over the Sport S with Max Tow. I keep going back and forth.
Sponsored