Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So explain how plowing unsalted snow is bad and causes rust? How is that worse than driving through SALTED snow and having it all over the truck, including inside the truck as you walk through it at a parking lot and track it in?
I'd much rather plow clean unsalted snow than drive on roads in the winter.
I've plowed snow with my JD lawn tractor for several years and yet my blade has no rust, and my tractor frame and fenders have no rust.
You are contradicting yourself when you suggest that rust is bad but the snow you are plowing has no salt.
It's no worse than driving through water. It's clean snow.
You are saying that rust is bad - yes, I agree - so then by that logic you should be fine to plow with it as long as you keep it off the streets and parking lots with salt.

Moving clean snow with a plow is no worse than driving through rain water in the summer.

I'm strongly considering a plow for my own JT...... driveway about 130 feet or so, then I have my shop approach to plow. Tired of using my lawn tractor and freezing my tail off.
Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
It's funny because I actually plow snow and there is no pre-salted snow I've ever seen and I think I've seen all the types.

Driving on treated roadways is going to do far more undercarriage degredation rust wise than plowing driveways. Salt comes from pre and post treatment so if they didn't salt before hand and didn't salt after, there's no salt under or in the snow.

As for tracking treated material in and out, yes that's a reality and you need to be prepared to clean your carpets, use slush mats etc and wash the damn rig after the storm. My big internationals get a full steam wand wash to strip all the crud and then a hose flood to get everything else, cabs vacuumed and glass cleaned.

Yes plowing is rough but you can prepare in advance and act to preserve the equipment.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's funny because I actually plow snow and there is no pre-salted snow I've ever seen and I think I've seen all the types.

Driving on treated roadways is going to do far more undercarriage degredation rust wise than plowing driveways. Salt comes from pre and post treatment so if they didn't salt before hand and didn't salt after, there's no salt under or in the snow.

As for tracking treated material in and out, yes that's a reality and you need to be prepared to clean your carpets, use slush mats etc and wash the damn rig after the storm. My big internationals get a full steam wand wash to strip all the crud and then a hose flood to get everything else, cabs vacuumed and glass cleaned.

Yes plowing is rough but you can prepare in advance and act to preserve the equipment.
The voice of reason (not being sarcastic, etc - very serious, thank you)

I'm seriously thinking of a receiver type plow for my JT. Not dead-set on it but seriously thinking about it, especially after my wife has twice said "too bad you don't have a plow on that truck" after watching me use our JD with plow to clean things up.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
As another guy who plows (my paying job is a municipal maintenance supervisor), when it comes to rust, it's not the plowing that causes it. It's getting back and forth to the plow sites. And chances are, a plow driver is doing WAY more driving on pre/post treated roads then the average person. When the governor is calling a state of emergency and telling everyone to stay off the roads, I'm heading into work with a change of clothes and a plan to be behind the wheel until the rest of you are finally clearing off your windows and venturing out.

Like @ACAD_Cowboy said, the key is washing the salt and chemicals off. I'll add that we also spray down everything that might rust with Fluid Film before the first snow. I know some private guys use waste oil; it's an environmental nightmare, and you need to reapply it after every washing, but it's basically free. Doing nothing isnt a realistic option. I have a friend who's a private contractor, and he's pulling the engine in a 4yr old Ram to replace the rotted out oil pan.

Now, don't get me wrong. Commercial plowing is hard on a truck. Plowing for hundreds of hours a year is a lot different then doing your driveway and the neighbor's. Stuff happens. Catching a storm drain, or a raised manhole, or a curb hiding in a snowdrift at 25mph is not good for the truck, or your ribcage, but it happens. And don't get me started on tires. If I get 10 or 15 thousand miles on a set of tires it's a good winter.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
As another guy who plows (my paying job is a municipal maintenance supervisor), when it comes to rust, it's not the plowing that causes it. It's getting back and forth to the plow sites. And chances are, a plow driver is doing WAY more driving on pre/post treated roads then the average person. When the governor is calling a state of emergency and telling everyone to stay off the roads, I'm heading into work with a change of clothes and a plan to be behind the wheel until the rest of you are finally clearing off your windows and venturing out.

Like @ACAD_Cowboy said, the key is washing the salt and chemicals off. I'll add that we also spray down everything that might rust with Fluid Film before the first snow. I know some private guys use waste oil; it's an environmental nightmare, and you need to reapply it after every washing, but it's basically free. Doing nothing isnt a realistic option. I have a friend who's a private contractor, and he's pulling the engine in a 4yr old Ram to replace the rotted out oil pan.

Now, don't get me wrong. Commercial plowing is hard on a truck. Plowing for hundreds of hours a year is a lot different then doing your driveway and the neighbor's. Stuff happens. Catching a storm drain, or a raised manhole, or a curb hiding in a snowdrift at 25mph is not good for the truck, or your ribcage, but it happens. And don't get me started on tires. If I get 10 or 15 thousand miles on a set of tires it's a good winter.
My neighbor is a retired county plow driver - oh, the stories he can tell. Oh, yeah, you sound like him.
I had a boss who brought his 50-something Buick into the shop every fall to spray the underside down with linseed oil. Hey, not only was there no rust- but the springs didn't squeak, either! LOL

Privately owned plows that see limited use are not any comparison to the commercial guys who do several drives and lots a day after a storm. And they aren't any comparison to the county and state plow drivers and their equipment. They not only drove but were responsible for any repairs needed, too - if it breaks, you fix it. My neighbor is a damned good fixer and fabricator. It's amazing what he's done and can do.

Sponsored

21Glad

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Occupation
Vice President
Just FYI for those looking at plows, Boss does have push plates and wiring harness specific to the JT/JL. Had one mounted up today and everything seems to fit fine.

Note I do have a 3 in. lift and 34's so the push beam sits a tad high even in the lowest setting. TBD how it goes when snow flies.

PXL_20201022_175009480~2.jpg

I also wanted one but then I received this picture. I have a friend with a Tahoe and he did this to the from hitch snow plow.
Jeep Gladiator Snow Plow for JT 1629739885497

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Wow... ripped the rosebud on that one. Boy howdy that must have been a noise.

Looks like a high speed clip of a fixed object.

L337Quaker

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S
Occupation
Sheet metal fabrication
Just FYI for those looking at plows, Boss does have push plates and wiring harness specific to the JT/JL. Had one mounted up today and everything seems to fit fine.

Note I do have a 3 in. lift and 34's so the push beam sits a tad high even in the lowest setting. TBD how it goes when snow flies.

Jeep Gladiator Snow Plow for JT 1629739885497
Heya, I just spent most of Sunday working getting a Boss plow wired in, any chance you could shoot me a picture of where your solenoid for the wiring relay is attached? I ended up going to the side of the airbox, but maybe there is a better place.
Sponsored