Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Anybody know if my TL rebate will work if I buy them from Gupton?
Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Grabber ATX all day long. The 80 pounds is wrong, that's an error from discount tire the actual weight in 37 is 70-71 as measured by tire rack and myself. Beyond that it's literally just a better k02 in basically every way other than a few pounds heavier. It's closer to actual size, quieter, better traction hard wearing and 3 peak rated which not all ko2s are. There is a reason they're the highest rated AT on tire rack and it's well deserved.

The ko2s are basically the Tacoma at this point, when it came out it was the best and it developed a well deserved following but at this point it's been passed by newer stuff.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I buy these tires from Gupton anybody know how to get warranty claims or balancing rotations done if Im out of state?
Tire warranties are handled by tire dealers. Any tire dealer. Even new tires on a Jeep aren't actually warranted by Jeep. They are warrantied by the tire maker.

That's why there is a tire warranty pamphlet in your owners packet.

So if you buy BFGs, and you have trouble with them, you bring them to any BFG dealer.

As for rotations - as a man, you should own the tools and have the skills to rotate tires. Buy a jack and an 18V impact driver and rotate them yourself. Its a 30 minute chore.

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Tire warranties are handled by tire dealers. Any tire dealer. Even new tires on a Jeep aren't actually warranted by Jeep. They are warrantied by the tire maker.

That's why there is a tire warranty pamphlet in your owners packet.

So if you buy BFGs, and you have trouble with them, you bring them to any BFG dealer.

As for rotations - as a man, you should own the tools and have the skills to rotate tires. Buy a jack and an 18V impact driver and rotate them yourself. Its a 30 minute chore.
I can do that but the balancing I cannot. Great to know I can go to any manufacture dealer and get the tires worked on.

Has anyone put 37s on the stock wheel before? Is it the correct bs in order for it now to rub, and or have problems?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can do that but the balancing I cannot. Great to know I can go to any manufacture dealer and get the tires worked on.

Has anyone put 37s on the stock wheel before? Is it the correct bs in order for it now to rub, and or have problems?
You don't need to balance every time you rotate. So just get them mounted and balanced and rotate every 10k miles or so.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
You don't need to balance every time you rotate. So just get them mounted and balanced and rotate every 10k miles or so.
right... so where would i get them balanced at?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
right... so where would i get them balanced at?
The place that mounts the tires on the rims will balance them. Its part of the process of mounting the tires on the rims. So if you buy the tires from Gupton, they will mount and balance them.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I would rotate every 5K, I have had a few sets of different ATs and 5K seems to work well for keeping even wear. I have never had to rebalance any tires either for the life of the tire.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I have never had to rebalance any tires either for the life of the tire.
You’ve had good luck, then.
I usually end up needing at least 1 rebalance.
Sometimes it’s a thrown weight, sometimes just due to wear.

Kevin

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
The place that mounts the tires on the rims will balance them. Its part of the process of mounting the tires on the rims. So if you buy the tires from Gupton, they will mount and balance them.
I would rotate every 5K, I have had a few sets of different ATs and 5K seems to work well for keeping even wear. I have never had to rebalance any tires either for the life of the tire.

What about after... Ive knocked weights off of my wheels when crawling and then I have a death wobble like drive home which is never fun.

Sponsored

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I would go with the MT's. My wife has KO2's on her Jeep. They do well off-roading but MT's are for more rugged off-roading and that is where I'm at. So really it just depends on what type of off-roading you are going to be doing. If it's light then.go with the KO's, if it's rough and rugged then the MT's. The KO2'S are are great all around tire.

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
I normally use kevlar MTRs on my fj40, but I am planning on doing a long trip home which will be mostly highway so the ATs will prob be my first choice.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
What about after... Ive knocked weights off of my wheels when crawling and then I have a death wobble like drive home which is never fun.
Definitely need to rebalance if weights get knocked off, I guess I have been lucky as I have never knocked a weight off, I do not do any type of hard core off roading where weights would get knocked off.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any tire shop could balance them.

bring44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professor
Wow the ATX are 80 lbs the ko2 65lbs and the MTs 78. Thats a crazy amount of difference for the ATs 15 lbs has got to help with your mpgs, braking, and acceleration... But does this mean its an overall weaker tire?
The KO2s run smaller...that is probably one of the reasons.
Sponsored