Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I started this thread months ago to get input on which cover to get for my Gladiator. I decided on a Bestop soft rolling cover with the black twill fabric. My reasoning went this way:
  • I wanted to minimize the weight of the cover. Evey pound cuts into towing and cargo capacity and city MPG. Soft covers weigh 40-50 lbs less than most hard covers.
  • I wanted to maximize the bed height and I wanted to make sure I could still carry coolers and propane tanks when I need to.
  • Security is a partial illusion with most hard covers. The only ones that seem resistant to a pry bar attack is the Diamondback cover, and the possibly the various hard retracting covers. The others can be popped open with a pry bar.
  • I don't regularly carry expensive stuff in my bed. If I did then I would get a Diamondback.
  • A locking soft rolling cover is likely to keep "honest people honest" because they can't peek inside.
I chose the Bestop cover because its fabric matches my Sunrider top, it locks, and it maximizes the bed height. My other choices:
  1. My second choice was the Mopar soft rolling. It has no rails for added weight and its fabric also matches the Sunrider. It's more expensive, and it doesn't lock unless you add tiedowns, you need to buy rivnuts to bolt the roll in place for 2022/2023 models. It's a shame Mopar doesn't fix this. (EDIT: I just read the Mopar instructions and the rivnuts are now included in the kit. I don't remember this back in November. It looks like Mopar did finally fix this!)
  2. The other soft rollup on the short list was the Rugged Ridge Armis cover. The Truxedo X15 is a good low profile cover but reduces bed height by a small amount.
  3. The Tyger covers never made my list because I'm willing to pay a little more for better quality (buy once) and I avoid made in China stuff when there are better alternatives.
how did that cover work out for you? I got one when they very first came out and I got their bed topper and was 100% disappointed in the quality. The edges never flattened out and it just was not very good looking in my opinion.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RJinPV

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired
how did that cover work out for you? I got one when they very first came out and I got their bed topper and was 100% disappointed in the quality. The edges never flattened out and it just was not very good looking in my opinion.
First I'd like to thank you for opening up my thoughts on the Mopar cover a few months back. I remember you were the one that mentioned how much you liked them. Following that I was able to look at a few at a Jeep event a few weeks later.

I like the Bestop cover so far. The corners are staying neat and the fabric stays flat and stretched when it's dry. I like the way it looks. After a rain the fabric will sag a little but not really puddle too badly. There is a small amount of water seepage at the front. I suspect it is because the texture of the spray-on bedliner does not allow the seal to seal perfectly. The only thing I don't like about the appearance is the rail's rear corners come right up to the edge of the bedrail cap. Almost overhanging a bit. It just looks a little odd.

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
So I have the BAK 4Xs roll-up tonneau cover and it's been one of my best upgrades. I've had absolutely no issues, was easy to install and I like that it is a hard surface and that when it rolls up - I don't loose the functionality of the whole bed, and I can see out my back window.

Bak 1.jpg

Bak 2 (2).jpg

OP
OP
RJinPV

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired
So I have the BAK 4Xs roll-up tonneau cover and it's been one of my best upgrades. I've had absolutely no issues, was easy to install and I like that it is a hard surface and that when it rolls up - I don't loose the functionality of the whole bed, and I can see out my back window.
I almost bought one of these. This was my favorite hard roll up. I liked the idea of the slots for T-nut based racks and its sleek styling. But the rails extend into the bed a lot and the low profile takes away bed height. The weight was the final negative for me. I could never get an accurate number but it was somewhere around 60-70 lbs if I remember correctly.

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I almost bought one of these. This was my favorite hard roll up. I liked the idea of the slots for T-nut based racks and its sleek styling. But the rails extend into the bed a lot and the low profile takes away bed height. The weight was the final negative for me. I could never get an accurate number but it was somewhere around 60-70 lbs if I remember correctly.
Hope you find one that you like. Way to many choices and opinions out there.

Sponsored

IPRoutes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave 2023 Bright White
Occupation
Sr. Network Architect
If you are weight conscious - soft cover.
Otherwise hard is more secure and durable.

I got a Bestop EZ-Roll twill that matches my Bestop Sunrider twill. The installation was very easy, just took my sweet time on alignment. It also has a bolt that can be loosened or tightened to adjust the top's tautness for seasonal variation.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
I have an Extang 2.0 Hard folding cover on my Ram 1500. It has leaked at the hinge points and around the perimeter in places, and it is a PITA to remove when you have to use the entire bed. Needless to say, that will not be my choice when my new 2023 Gladiator gets here. I bought a hard cover for the security but there have only been a few times I thought I needed the security. Most of the hard covers could be easily defeated with a crowbar anyway. I'm considering a soft cover because they're lighter and less expensive, but I'm still concerned thieves are slicing them open even if nothing is in the bed because it's so easy to do. I'm interested in other people'e experiences.
  • What are your favorite soft covers and has anyone with a soft cover regretted buying it because someone sliced it open in search of stuff anyway? Would you buy a soft cover again?
  • What are your favorite hard covers and has anyone with a hard cover happy they had one for that step up in security? Other reasons to buy a hard cover again?
I have the Mopar soft rolling tonneau. It’s the most flexible IMO. Sure it leaks a little bit and it’s not really secure but what I use it for it works and it allows me to use my bed at the drop of a dime.

AdamH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon, 23 Wagoneer, 83 Scrambler
I also have the Bestop soft roll up cover. So far so good on fitment and no leaks.

I’ve had hard covers in the past on trucks. My issue was it never failed that I’d need to haul something that was juuuussssttt a tad too tall and there isn’t any movement in a hard cover. With soft covers (I’ve had multiple ones now on 3 different trucks) you have some wiggle room with height. Not much but for me enough to get to and from still covered.

GladLad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
Is the Mopar soft rollup the only rollup style tonneau that doesn't add rails to the top of the bed sides?

I know trifolds don't, but haven't seen any rollups that don't other than Mopar. I've had good experience with trifolds, but would like to go with one that gives full bed access without having to remove it.

Mopar is my top choice at the moment, but interested to consider my options if there are others that don't add rails.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Is the Mopar soft rollup the only rollup style tonneau that doesn't add rails to the top of the bed sides?

I know trifolds don't, but haven't seen any rollups that don't other than Mopar. I've had good experience with trifolds, but would like to go with one that gives full bed access without having to remove it.

Mopar is my top choice at the moment, but interested to consider my options if there are others that don't add rails.
the bestop has tails but they sit on top of the bed sides and don’t interfere with the bed.

I still hold the mopar soft rolling cover is the best.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought a soft toneau while I was waiting for my RSI SmartCap to come in. I got a Gator and was very pleased with the quality.

I paid about $240 for it and it was well worth it.

However, if I was going to have a toneau forever, I'd probably want a hard one. I'd just feel safer putting valuables in it.

GladLad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
the bestop has tails but they sit on top of the bed sides and don’t interfere with the bed.

I still hold the mopar soft rolling cover is the best.
If it's the only one without rails, it's the best on my paper to me. Seemingly is, as I've looked at as many as I can find on the usual sites. Odd, as you'd think they'd copy the simplicity. But I guess they have to fill other niches: inexpensive, lightweight, sealed all the way down, etc.

CroweGladiator

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator

Jeep Gladiator Soft or Hard Tonneau Cover? Bak 2 (2)

Jeep Gladiator Soft or Hard Tonneau Cover? Bak 2 (2)
I’ve heard these have some leaking issues. How has your experience with water intrusion been?

Really on the fence about it based on those reviews.

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve heard these have some leaking issues. How has your experience with water intrusion been?

Really on the fence about it based on those reviews.
I haven’t had issues when it rains, only when I wash my Gladiator. I get some water intrusion at the tailgate. Not sure how to fix that though. Overall very happy with the purchase.
Sponsored