Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I’m still trying to decide if I’m going to get the softtopper or the bestop for the bed of my truck. So im kind of hoping somebody with a softtopper can answer a couple questions for me.

-how does the front window panel secure to the bed? (Windown closest to the truck cabin)

-does the front window panel even need to be secured?

-how easy is it to take on and off? I Intend to only use it while towing my tt.

-are the mesh rear windows worth-it or not?
Sponsored

alwhite

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, Honda Element
Occupation
Librarian
I’m still trying to decide if I’m going to get the softtopper or the bestop for the bed of my truck. So im kind of hoping somebody with a softtopper can answer a couple questions for me.

-how does the front window panel secure to the bed? (Windown closest to the truck cabin)

-does the front window panel even need to be secured?

-how easy is it to take on and off? I Intend to only use it while towing my tt.

-are the mesh rear windows worth-it or not?

If you have the trail rail system, the front window needs to be secured with velco in order to stay in place. Its not absolutely neccessary, but the front has a tendency to flip up if its not secured. If you dont have the trail rail, snaps are provided to secure it to the bed i believe.

super easy to take on and off, ive gotten it down to a couple minutes by myself. I would recomend the optional cover for storing it or even riding with it in the collapsed position.

mesh rear isnt worth it for me. I got it primarily for the dogs, and i just open some of the corners when theyre in the back.

I enjoy mine. I wanted the bestop, but didnt want to wait. the folding mechanisim on the bestop looks nicer, but i like that i dont have to take the sides off of the softopper to collapse it. However, I think since the bestop doesnt have vinyl windows, you could do the same with it.

I also like that it fits the lines of the hardtop really well. Biggest complaint is how it terminates at the tailgate. I just cant seem to get velcro to hold it properly. Still pretty water tight tho, no complaints on that front.

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2018 Desert Sled
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
There are trade offs either way. I like the Bestop front and rear closures better- but the system over all seems fussier. I just drove 5 hours to the beach (where it’s pouring rain) and I’ve never attached the rear Velcro or done anything about the front connection on my softopper. It’s inexplicably dry in the bed. I can pull the two clip rings on the softopper and have it out of the bed in under a minute. Once I build my bedrack I’ll probably attach the front window- but I’m not sure I’ll worry about the Velcro at the rear. I’m still brainstorming a magnet solution like the tacoma guys use, but I’d have to add some steel inside the tailgate since it’s aluminum.....
Only other note is that the bestop will play nice with a decked box/ molle panel system and the softopper mechanism interferes (without some engineering)
Sponsored