[SOLVED] Remote tailgate not working

Carlos_lara96

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
So as the title says, my power tailgate locks are not working. I figured it’s probably because yesterday I had my bed Line X’d. From my understanding they take apart some of the tailgate components and they’re supposed to mask everything that’s not supposed to get sprayed. My best guess is that they just forgot to plug something back in, but the backup camera is working just fine.
Worth noting that when I tried to lock the tailgate manually with the key it felt a little hard. But now I’m able to lock and unlock it with the key.
Btw I do not hear anything on the tailgate whenever I lock or unlock the truck with the remote, that’s why I think they might have forgotten to plug something back in.
Also, when I called the line x shop they told me that it might take a couple days for the controls to reset, which tbh sounds like bs.
Sponsored

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
So as the title says, my power tailgate locks are not working. I figured it’s probably because yesterday I had my bed Line X’d. From my understanding they take apart some of the tailgate components and they’re supposed to mask everything that’s not supposed to get sprayed. My best guess is that they just forgot to plug something back in, but the backup camera is working just fine.
Worth noting that when I tried to lock the tailgate manually with the key it felt a little hard. But now I’m able to lock and unlock it with the key.
Btw I do not hear anything on the tailgate whenever I lock or unlock the truck with the remote, that’s why I think they might have forgotten to plug something back in.
Also, when I called the line x shop they told me that it might take a couple days for the controls to reset, which tbh sounds like bs.
There are two connectors just underneath the rear of the truck attached to a black plastic plate, in the center, underneath the truck. Pop your head under there, in the center, and look. One white connector, one black. You can also check from the top with tailgate down. Pop out that black plastic plate in the center from the right side of it. Both the camera connector and lock connector are on the other side.

OP
OP
Carlos_lara96

Carlos_lara96

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are two connectors just underneath the rear of the truck attached to a black plastic plate, in the center, underneath the truck. Pop your head under there, in the center, and look. One white connector, one black. You can also check from the top with tailgate down. Pop out that black plastic plate in the center from the right side of it. Both the camera connector and lock connector are on the other side.
Thanks man I’ll make sure to check on that!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Carlos_lara96

Carlos_lara96

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most definitely what it is imo. They would remove the tailgate for sure when doing the Line X.

Does the backup camera work?
Wow thanks a lot bro, i just checked and it seems that the guys forgot to plug the harness all the way in and now it’s working again. Thanks for the info bro. Sick Mojave you got yourself!

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
I had an issue with mine not locking, and it was the plastic connectors inside the tailgate that connect the rods to the locking mechanism. My tailgate was stuck closed (handle stopped working) and my tonneau was closed and locked- I had to fish out the tonneau pulls and pop it, then get in the bed and take the inside tailgate cover off. The rods had popped off the clips. Popped them back on and the electronic lock has worked fine since...

DunChasnPyro

First Name
Ricke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
I had the same thing occur on my JTRD after getting Line X sprayed to the bed. It turned out that the Line X franchisee didn't tape off the actuator inside the tail gate and Line X material infiltrated the power connector to the solenoid on the actuator. After scraping away the Line X material and making sure the connector was fully seated, everything worked. I also had to clean off a bunch of Line X material from the actuator to restore smooth operation. All is under the access plate on the tail gate and easy to get to. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Carlos_lara96

Carlos_lara96

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the same thing occur on my JTRD after getting Line X sprayed to the bed. It turned out that the Line X franchisee didn't tape off the actuator inside the tail gate and Line X material infiltrated the power connector to the solenoid on the actuator. After scraping away the Line X material and making sure the connector was fully seated, everything worked. I also had to clean off a bunch of Line X material from the actuator to restore smooth operation. All is under the access plate on the tail gate and easy to get to. Hope this helps.
Sounds like hell but I’m glad you got it figured out. Seems like mine was just unplugged.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Carlos_lara96

Carlos_lara96

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had an issue with mine not locking, and it was the plastic connectors inside the tailgate that connect the rods to the locking mechanism. My tailgate was stuck closed (handle stopped working) and my tonneau was closed and locked- I had to fish out the tonneau pulls and pop it, then get in the bed and take the inside tailgate cover off. The rods had popped off the clips. Popped them back on and the electronic lock has worked fine since...
Yeah that’s a pretty common problem with tailgates in general. I’m glad you got them popped back on.

JTbuttcheeks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I know, old thread but just got my Gladiator and power tailgate lock wasn't working. Quick search and came across this thread. Thank you, ecidiego - this was my exact issue.

To expand on the fix for those who come across this in the future - it's easiest to access the connectors from the top with the tailgate down. Facing the bed you'll see the black plastic panel in the middle on the bedside of the truck where it meets the bottom of the tailgate. On the right side of the plastic panel, under where the cables pass through, is a tab. Press that tab to release the panel and it's easy to remove from there. My issue was that the black connector (the bigger of the two) was not fully seated. After clicking it firmly into place, I was able to get the tailgate to lock with my key fob. I would assume that this means the white connector is for the backup camera.
Sponsored