Sponsored

Spare Suggestion for 20s w 35s

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
It is fine to run a different sized spare as long as its not a limited slip diff, (lsd) or you’ve lock a Differential as in the Rubicon or Mojave.

So an open differential is ok to run different diameter overall wheel and tire combo.

My understanding of the Rubicon differentials are that when unlocked they run as a limited slip differential, and then of course you can lock them electrically.

A different size diameter wheel tire diameter will wear clutches on an lsd and beak a locker.
The rubi, when unlocked, is an open diff.

The traction control system is all that’s available when unlocked. Just like any open diff gladiator.
If there is too much of a difference in tire size, traction control could get a bit wonky. An inch of difference goes unnoticed. How much of a difference can the system take before the electronics of traction control want to step in? I dunno.
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
The rubi, when unlocked, is an open diff.

The traction control system is all that’s available when unlocked. Just like any open diff gladiator.
If there is too much of a difference in tire size, traction control could get a bit wonky. An inch of difference goes unnoticed. How much of a difference can the system take before the electronics of traction control want to step in? I dunno.
Which is one of the reasons why you don't want to run a mismatched spare on the front.

Turning is another reason.