Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired
So I upgraded my tires, 35 inch. For my situation, I am usually very close to home and dont need a spare. I know, its specific to me. If Im offroading or going on a long trip, I can throw the spare in the bed on most occasions.

My question, is anyone in a similar situation using the space under the truck where the spare used to be? Perhaps to attach a compressor for inflation? I know most people do that under the hood though. Just asking if anyone else has this set of circumstances.
Sponsored

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I heard somewhere that someone was working on an extended range spare fuel tank to go in that location, but nothing has been confirmed online anywhere, that would be ideal for me as I am going to be buying either the JCR or ExpeditionOne rear bumper with swing arms for my full size spare...getting those extra gallons of fuel would be very good for long distance overlanding that I eventually want to do.

OP
OP
Clendennan

Clendennan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired
I heard somewhere that someone was working on an extended range spare fuel tank to go in that location, but nothing has been confirmed online anywhere, that would be ideal for me as I am going to be buying either the JCR or ExpeditionOne rear bumper with swing arms for my full size spare...getting those extra gallons of fuel would be very good for long distance overlanding that I eventually want to do.
Now thats a good mod for certain! I could get behind that.

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Now thats a good mod for certain! I could get behind that.
I know right.....If I was a metal fabricator, I would work on that.....patent and sell my brains out at Overland expos, lol

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I know my math on this is rough but rough estimate is an additional 7-8 gallons or 26-28 litres if it sits flush with the heat shield, equating to about another 124 miles or 200km.....very rough. Just taking my tire dimensions and depth of heat shield

Sponsored

OP
OP
Clendennan

Clendennan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired
I know my math on this is rough but rough estimate is an additional 7-8 gallons or 26-28 litres if it sits flush with the heat shield, equating to about another 124 miles or 200km.....very rough. Just taking my tire dimensions and depth of heat shield
Youre right. Add a tank, a switchover(maybe manual and electric option) and a skid plate(cant be too difficult). I gotta believe someone would fill that void. Usually when I go down these paths I just assume it must be a horrible idea for some reason im not thinking of, or else someone would have done it. I wonder if Ive missed out on any riches.

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Youre right. Add a tank, a switchover(maybe manual and electric option) and a skid plate(cant be too difficult). I gotta believe someone would fill that void. Usually when I go down these paths I just assume it must be a horrible idea for some reason im not thinking of, or else someone would have done it. I wonder if Ive missed out on any riches.
I just do not have the space, or skills to fabricate.....I would put a pump and tubing so that it could transfer out to main tank when needed, with a method of filling both main tank and additional with the same factory fill location (this I think would be the tricky part), but I'm not a fabricator so I could be wrong..lol

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Extra batteries of overlanding power source?
that is another good idea for the space, place all of your overlanding power equipment in that location and just have the solar panels visible. Have it on a hinged plate so that you can just unhook and it swings down for access while maintaining

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
I just do not have the space, or skills to fabricate.....I would put a pump and tubing so that it could transfer out to main tank when needed, with a method of filling both main tank and additional with the same factory fill location (this I think would be the tricky part), but I'm not a fabricator so I could be wrong..lol
I like that as a plan but I think most people would not want to modify the stock tank for a secondary fill line. The easiest way to add a supplemental tank would be to have a separately mounted unit with its own fill and pump, run wiring for the second pump and an aux fuel gauge, and t the line into the stock engine supply. Then you would need to rewire the stock pump control to a switch that would send power to either the stock tank or supplemental. My '95 F150 had factory switchable tanks like this...was always a nice surprise when I was running low, flip to the secondary and have half a tank already there (would fill up with cash and any overrun went into tank 2).

The main problem I can see with running a complete second tank is if the PCM is somehow looking for activity from the pump and would shut things down if it wasn't working. And it would definitely screw with the main fuel gauge (all digital) and MPG readings, but those are expected and the whole reason for the mod

Sponsored

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I like that as a plan but I think most people would not want to modify the stock tank for a secondary fill line. The easiest way to add a supplemental tank would be to have a separately mounted unit with its own fill and pump, run wiring for the second pump and an aux fuel gauge, and t the line into the stock engine supply. Then you would need to rewire the stock pump control to a switch that would send power to either the stock tank or supplemental. My '95 F150 had factory switchable tanks like this...was always a nice surprise when I was running low, flip to the secondary and have half a tank already there (would fill up with cash and any overrun went into tank 2).

The main problem I can see with running a complete second tank is if the PCM is somehow looking for activity from the pump and would shut things down if it wasn't working. And it would definitely screw with the main fuel gauge (all digital) and MPG readings, but those are expected and the whole reason for the mod
I saw one that is similar set up (that I described) on a JK that Chris from "Venture4wd" had installed. He had a switch on his dash that he flipped and had it transfer fuel from one tank to another and seemed to work without issues. I'm not positive on the single fuel fill port though

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
I saw one that is similar set up (that I described) on a JK that Chris from "Venture4wd" had installed. He had a switch on his dash that he flipped and had it transfer fuel from one tank to another and seemed to work without issues. I'm not positive on the single fuel fill port though
I think dual fills with a transfer pump (automatically triggered ideally) would be the best overall solution but I wonder about most people's desire to modify the stock fuel tank. I guess it could be tied into the stock filler neck which is more easily removable and replaceable.

OR! a replacement for the stock filler neck that would 1. have a diverter valve that would operate automatically to fill both tanks and 2. would have a built-in line from the secondary tank. I like this idea

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I think dual fills with a transfer pump (automatically triggered ideally) would be the best overall solution but I wonder about most people's desire to modify the stock fuel tank. I guess it could be tied into the stock filler neck which is more easily removable and replaceable.

OR! a replacement for the stock filler neck that would 1. have a diverter valve that would operate automatically to fill both tanks and 2. would have a built-in line from the secondary tank. I like this idea
like your "or" version

Bacon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR-LE
I bet you could squeeze a decent air compressor and pancake or two small cylinder tanks in there.

I also like the idea of overland batteries there. Two decent LiFePO4 batteries would fit nicely in there.
Sponsored