Sponsored

Spare Tire Wheel

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2020 Gladiator, 2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2020 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke
I am currently about to get a Metal Cloak Game Changer 3.5" lift and 37x12.5xR17 Nitto Trail Grappler tires. I have my heart set on the XD 137 FMJs wheels. So I want to get onto ordering these but before doing so, I had questions about the spare.

I am really looking at a 4 wheel rotation and having the spare live in its current location under the JTR. The spare will be only used in an emergency to get me out of the back country or roads and get to a shop to replace/repair the damaged tire.

I don't really want to buy a 5th wheel if its just living under the JTR. I want to buy the aforementioned tire above, but have a spare that is 37" in diameter that will fit the factory steel spare wheel.

So here are my questions:

1 - Does anyone do exactly what I want to do... 37x12.5xR17 tire on the factory steel spare rim for emergency purposes only?

2 - Do I need a thinner tire than 12.5 to make it happen? If so, who makes those? Nitto doesn't seem to make an 11.5 in a 37.

Dumb questions, I know... but trying to do the right thing before ordering all of this stuff :)
Sponsored

TheProdigalBastard

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I don't know about that tire size on the stock rim but something else to consider is that you may have to order the matching tire and wait for days or longer. A full sized spare relieves the possibility of riding an off sized tire/wheel during that wait. Its an investment some don't consider necessary but something to consider.

OP
OP

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2020 Gladiator, 2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2020 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke
I don't know about that tire size on the stock rim but something else to consider is that you may have to order the matching tire and wait for days or longer. A full sized spare relieves the possibility of riding an off sized tire/wheel during that wait. Its an investment some don't consider necessary but something to consider.
Right... which is the crux of my question. Will a full sized 37x12.5xR17 fit the spare steel factory wheel? I can always put the tire on the normal wheel while waiting for a new one.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
There should be no reason a 37x12.5r17 wouldn’t work.
The stock spare steel wheel will have stock back spacing; so, worst case scenario, you can only use it on the rear if your lift kit requires a different back spacing. This requirement is usually for the front only.

so, you get a flat up front, move a good rear wheel up there abs put the spare on the rear.

Go for it!

OP
OP

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There should be no reason a 37x12.5r17 wouldn’t work.
The stock spare steel wheel will have stock back spacing; so, worst case scenario, you can only use it on the rear if your lift kit requires a different back spacing. This requirement is usually for the front only.

so, you get a flat up front, move a good rear wheel up there abs put the spare on the rear.

Go for it!
Awesome! That was the answer I needed!
Sponsored