Lucifer

Lucifer

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
they don't fit the screw patterns, so i just screwed them right into the plastic. they sound great
Sponsored

JDawg11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubi Diesel
they don't fit the screw patterns, so i just screwed them right into the plastic. they sound great
Really appreciate all of your input and advice in this thread. I ordered the Kenwoods and metras. I can’t wait to get them in and step up my sound.

OP
OP
Lucifer

Lucifer

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
you're welcome. you're going to be so surprised at the size of the magnets of the original compared to the new ones. plus the sound quality is so much better

JDawg11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubi Diesel
Really appreciate all of your input and advice in this thread. I ordered the Kenwoods and metras. I can’t wait to get them in and step up my sound.
I guess I spoke to soon. Vendor after taking my money got back and said they were out of stock.
Does anyone have any idea where I can purchase the Kenwoods?
Thanks

downtroddengoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2013 Outback
Occupation
Doing Goat things.
I guess I spoke to soon. Vendor after taking my money got back and said they were out of stock.
Does anyone have any idea where I can purchase the Kenwoods?
Thanks

I found a couple places that said they had them... but i was suspicious since no one else actually had them. After doing some of the sound tests on the Crutchfeld, crazy threads on Wrangler forums, and watching yourtube videos, I ended up going with the Infinity speakers for the dash corners. The kickers sounded too muddy to me.

I am going to start with those and see where it takes me. They should be here tomorrow from Amazon.

I did decide that I don't want to start hacking on the soundbar myself. So I think I am going to try and see what will fit with a little finagling. While part of me says that everything should match, my concern with using only the infinities in the soundbar is that the highs then become overwhelming for the anemic subwoofer and I am not really in the mood to tear the dash apart (today) to get at the knee speakers.

On one of the Wrangler forums, a number of people were putting one of the JL 3.5 in the sound bar for the 3.5 but I had to crash before I could see what they were doing for the 4 inch. I did see that Hypnotic makes a 4 from a youtube video it seemed to fit well so that may be a possibility.

Sponsored

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Crime fighter.
I found a couple places that said they had them... but i was suspicious since no one else actually had them. After doing some of the sound tests on the Crutchfeld, crazy threads on Wrangler forums, and watching yourtube videos, I ended up going with the Infinity speakers for the dash corners. The kickers sounded too muddy to me.

I am going to start with those and see where it takes me. They should be here tomorrow from Amazon.

I did decide that I don't want to start hacking on the soundbar myself. So I think I am going to try and see what will fit with a little finagling. While part of me says that everything should match, my concern with using only the infinities in the soundbar is that the highs then become overwhelming for the anemic subwoofer and I am not really in the mood to tear the dash apart (today) to get at the knee speakers.

On one of the Wrangler forums, a number of people were putting one of the JL 3.5 in the sound bar for the 3.5 but I had to crash before I could see what they were doing for the 4 inch. I did see that Hypnotic makes a 4 from a youtube video it seemed to fit well so that may be a possibility.
I had originally purchased the kickers for the dash, and like you, found them muddy with and without the crossover.
I then got the Infinity’s and they sound really good. Brought out the highs that are needed for rock music. If you have the Alpine system, don’t bother with the large capacitor in the box, just leave it off.

Texas_JT

First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
To anyone interested, I have a pair of Kenwood 3.5’s that I just replaced. Used for a couple months or so. PM if interested

Replaced whole system with 6.5” components in the dash, and 6” coaxial in the sound bar so no longer need em.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
you're welcome. you're going to be so surprised at the size of the magnets of the original compared to the new ones. plus the sound quality is so much better
That's because the stock 3½" speakers are only tweeters, and you're putting in full-range speakers.

I went with JBL GX328 in the dash, and Kicker DSC350 in the soundbar (all 3½".) The JBLs wouldn't fit in the soundbar because of the terminal location. I like the sound, but I'm going to have to add some bass-blockers because the replacement speakers will rattle on heavy bass.

Kevin

downtroddengoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doing Goat things.
I had originally purchased the kickers for the dash, and like you, found them muddy with and without the crossover.
I then got the Infinity’s and they sound really good. Brought out the highs that are needed for rock music. If you have the Alpine system, don’t bother with the large capacitor in the box, just leave it off.

Infinities are in the front dash and I drove a bit this weekend with them with the top down on the highway. I do understand what people mean with how "bright" they are. For the music i listen to, it needs to be brighter than stock but maybe not as bright as it is right now. (I listen to a lot of live music that is already muddy enough and I like the stringwork details).

I did see on one of the Wrangler forums that there is supposed to be a break-in period on the infinities of about 30 hours and then they should soften a bit. I am still playing with the settings to see if i can dial it in. One thing I noticed was that the automatic speed volume adjustment seems to make it shriller and that doesn't happen with me turning them up instead of it being automatic.

I will caveat the above with I need to check the polarity with a multimeter to be sure they are hooked up correctly. I was running out of daylight and the polarity apps seemed to indicate they were backwards with the adapters, so I switched the lines in the adapter without digging out the multimeter. FWIW -- I had one wire that had a bright red stripe on it on the drivers side and a green on the passenger side, both of which I took to be the positive wires.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
To anyone interested, I have a pair of Kenwood 3.5’s that I just replaced. Used for a couple months or so. PM if interested

Replaced whole system with 6.5” components in the dash, and 6” coaxial in the sound bar so no longer need em.
What are you asking for them? Shipped.

Sponsored

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
i just did a swap on my front dash top 3.5's. Was weird, i used a multimeter to check polarity. The passenger side, in the stock harness clip, positive was on the right side of it. The driver side the wires were completely opposite in the stock harness clip. The positive was on the left side of the stock harness clip.

Wet Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
i just did a swap on my front dash top 3.5's. Was weird, i used a multimeter to check polarity. The passenger side, in the stock harness clip, positive was on the right side of it. The driver side the wires were completely opposite in the stock harness clip. The positive was on the left side of the stock harness clip.
What speakers and wiring adapters did you end up going with?

downtroddengoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doing Goat things.
Infinities are in the front dash and I drove a bit this weekend with them with the top down on the highway. I do understand what people mean with how "bright" they are. For the music i listen to, it needs to be brighter than stock but maybe not as bright as it is right now. (I listen to a lot of live music that is already muddy enough and I like the stringwork details).

I did see on one of the Wrangler forums that there is supposed to be a break-in period on the infinities of about 30 hours and then they should soften a bit. I am still playing with the settings to see if i can dial it in. One thing I noticed was that the automatic speed volume adjustment seems to make it shriller and that doesn't happen with me turning them up instead of it being automatic.

I will caveat the above with I need to check the polarity with a multimeter to be sure they are hooked up correctly. I was running out of daylight and the polarity apps seemed to indicate they were backwards with the adapters, so I switched the lines in the adapter without digging out the multimeter. FWIW -- I had one wire that had a bright red stripe on it on the drivers side and a green on the passenger side, both of which I took to be the positive wires.
FWIW --- the speakers got much less "bright" after a couple weeks of breaking them in. I also noticed that everything was being double EQ'd. I use Android Auto, and things were being EQ'd through You Tube Music and then by the head unit. Simply killing the eq on the app improved things tremendously.

Also, I wasn't a big fan of cutting up the sound bar, and stumbled on these:

https://www.morris4x4center.com/jljt-pods-18-21-jeep-wrangler-jl-enclosures-only-pair-1.html

Supposedly it will allow for a 6.5 and tweeter like the other adapters without hacking things up. I was looking at the Infinity Reference 6.5 component speakers or the Kappas given that they are 2.5 or 3 ohms and seem to have a high sensitivity. That leaves the knee panel speakers and knee panel. I can live with those being stock, right? LOL

Wet Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
FWIW --- the speakers got much less "bright" after a couple weeks of breaking them in. I also noticed that everything was being double EQ'd. I use Android Auto, and things were being EQ'd through You Tube Music and then by the head unit. Simply killing the eq on the app improved things tremendously.

Also, I wasn't a big fan of cutting up the sound bar, and stumbled on these:

https://www.morris4x4center.com/jljt-pods-18-21-jeep-wrangler-jl-enclosures-only-pair-1.html

Supposedly it will allow for a 6.5 and tweeter like the other adapters without hacking things up. I was looking at the Infinity Reference 6.5 component speakers or the Kappas given that they are 2.5 or 3 ohms and seem to have a high sensitivity. That leaves the knee panel speakers and knee panel. I can live with those being stock, right? LOL
I like that pod option. I really want to start my upgrade with the soundbar since that's where my Alpine system sounds the worst, very buzzy and annoying. Are you planning on adding an amp?
Sponsored