tsailor1

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manager
JTR 8.4Uconnect. I swapped both upper front dash and both soundbar 3.5" speakers with four Kenwood eXcelon KFC-X3C 3.5" Mid Range Speakers for Chrysler/Toyota/Others, 50 RMS Max Power (Pair) using the metra 72-7902 adapters. The sound is noticeably crisper with more depth from the front than with the factory 3.5".

Sharing a couple of things I learned if it helps anybody. The metra adapter wiring (polarity) was aligned correctly with my factory wiring harness in the dash and in the soundbar, meaning I did not need to flip the wires in the metra adapter (as is the case for many JL/JT owners) to maintain the existing polarity. Here's a wiring diagram I created, keep in mind the 8.4Uconnect uses a different factory wiring harness with differently colored wires than the other system levels.

wiring.jpg
Did you use the crossover that came attached to each speaker or did you remove it and direct wire without it?
Sponsored

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Are you’re only sound upgraded the alpine kit and those kenwood upper dash did you do anything else?

The kenwoods came with the crossover and you initially removed, but then put back in?

i have the alpine kit and i also upgrade the smaller soundbar speakers with the dart ones—deciding if i want to upgrade the larger ones to the 4” kickers that are almost plug and play and/or if i want to change out the upper dash tweeters as well.

also you have the 7” uconnect?

Yep, mine came with the 7" U-Connect and no alpine package. Added the Alpine PSS-23WRA underseat woofer / amplifier / dash tweeter kit, then replaced the dash tweeters with the KFC-X3C`s.

I did originally install the kenwoods without the crossovers, but in my case the performance was awful, so I reinstalled them and im really happy with the system now. Can easily hear the music on the freeway with the top off and dont even have to turn it all the way up.

JWGladiator

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2020 BMW X7; 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Did you use the crossover that came attached to each speaker or did you remove it and direct wire without it?
I did this over the weekend and did not use the crossover. Worked fine. Overall it's a nice upgrade over the stock speakers.

Discount Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2021 jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Electrician at FCA
The Kenwood kfc speakers are the ones to buy. I bought a pair of them and a pair of the dart speakers ended up returning the dart ones crap compared to the Kenwoods.Now im thinking of upgrading the sound bar to 6.5 inch.

it_trailblzr

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO
Occupation
Social Extrovert
There are better quality speaker on the market then kicker and alpine.. If Im looking to do this, I'm going Focal and JL audio
Or Memphis....
Edit:
had to add a link to this: Serious Sound

Last edited:

Sponsored

go0001

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland Sting Gray
Occupation
Technology
Can anyone confirm if a 4” driver will fit on the top of the dash? I’m considering going 3-way full active up front (tweeters on A-Pillar, 4” on dash, 6.5” mods on bottom of dash) thanks!
I would say ‘no’ unless one starts cutting. When I tried a pair of Infinity 3-1/2” in the dash tweeter location that was already a tight fit (though an extremely easy install - with a 3-1/2" replacement one has to fiddle a bit with the orientation of the speaker and how to get the wiring connectors to the sides, away from the magnets, when getting the replacement speakers in).
I ended up returning them to Crutchfield because they were extremely bright reflecting off the windshield when I turned the volume up at highway speeds.
In my experience in other cars, the Infinity tweeters can be a bit bright, so I may attempt this dash replacement again with a different brand, e.g. Kenwood KFC X3C

Last edited:

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
Got these coming in today...

617IXxPxenL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Trying to see if I can bypass the crossover in the Alpine SPV-65-JLT...

g500SPV65JL-o_other0.jpg
Update on the Crossover Bypass

At first listen it did sound better over stock so I ran with it for three months. Then just for Shits & Giggles I checked all the polarities on all my speakers in my JT. Turns out the polarity on the Alpine tweeters in my upgraded soundbar was flipped in relation to the rest of my speakers. Not sure if bypassing the crossover caused the flip but it was easy to fix.

Cut Tweeter Wires
Flip Tweeter Wires
Crimp Tweeter Wires
Shrink Wrap Tweeter Wires
DONE

Now these speakers sound great.

Last edited:

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
I did the upgrade and used the Metra adapter to bypass the crossover. It works great. You'll be very happy with the improved sound.
Check the polarity on the tweeters. I had to flip my wires after bypassing the crossovers.

JeepRealtor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thekashatteam.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (Bright White), 2019 Ford Expedition Limited Stealth Package (Magnetic)
Occupation
Realtor
Get the upgrade pods to fit the 6.5" speakers for both the dash and soundbar. Night and day sound quality. The jl twin 10" sub below the seat is spectacular and retains the factory look.
20210218_135453.jpg

20210218_135317.jpg

20210218_135505.jpg

20210218_135446.jpg

20210218_135446.jpg

20210218_135505.jpg

20210218_135446.jpg

20210218_135317.jpg
Can you show where and how you mounted the amps?
I have the JL vxi 600 mono and 800/8 and the JL mounts for under the seats but I’m not sold on the location. Thinking I’d prefer them behind the back seats somehow.

Jeepmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 1968 Chevy C10
Check the polarity on the tweeters. I had to flip my wires after bypassing the crossovers.
Thanks. Yes, I did notice that the polarity was reversed. I couldn't tell the difference in sound quality after I changed it. Likely because the dash top speakers aren't low enough in frequency to be noticed when out of phase with the other speakers.

Sponsored

go0001

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland Sting Gray
Occupation
Technology
Thanks. Yes, I did notice that the polarity was reversed. I couldn't tell the difference in sound quality after I changed it. Likely because the dash top speakers aren't low enough in frequency to be noticed when out of phase with the other speakers.
I didn't even know polarity testing was a thing till I started following Five Star Car Audio last year
(Below 15min 18sec in, they use them a lot in their videos)

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't even know polarity testing was a thing till I started following Five Star Car Audio last year
(Below 15min 18sec in, they use them a lot in their videos)

There's a App for that =)

I use Speaker Pop for iOS

Last edited:

freebird_78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
After the replacement speakers not sounding quite right and after reading your post, I went back and double checked. Sure enough, the Metra adapters were wired wrong, flipped. Swapped the pins in the connector by unlocking the catch with a pick. I should have caught that at install, but didn't.

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Jeep Gladiator Speaker swap 20210503_181120

Replaced dash speakers. Definitely "brighter". Stopped by Crutchfield in Harrisonburg VA to pick them up. Had to bend the tabs to fit, tight fit for both sides especially left side.

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Mohave, '18 Jeep Renegade Trail Hawk
Occupation
Approaching Retirement
Jeep Gladiator Speaker swap 20210503_181120

Replaced dash speakers. Definitely "brighter". Stopped by Crutchfield in Harrisonburg VA to pick them up. Had to bend the tabs to fit, tight fit for both sides especially left side.
I had JBL home speakers many years ago and LOVED them, but I replaced my dash speakers with these last month and I am disappointed. Honestly, at this price point I should not have expected big results.

They are an improvement, and I agree with the "brighter" comment, but I was expecting more.
Sponsored