Sport S Max Tow DRL/Park Lights

Lo Tek

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Max Tow
Okay, scratching my head and wondering so hope somewhere here has an answer.

I have a Sport S w/Max Tow option that uses a front fender light setup equivalent to the "Base" Overland/Rubicon, i.e., one 7440NA single filament turn signal lamp and one dual filament 7443 DRL/Park lamp on each side (plus LED front side markers but not concerned with those since they seem to be working properly).

Wondering if the "Park" lamp works for anyone with a similar setup? While the DRL function works normally n my vehicle the "Park" doesn't. Ever. Either side. The side markers come on but the low filament in the DRL bulbs don't seem to be getting powered.

Thanks to any who can verify whether this function actually works on a similarly equipped vehicle.
Sponsored

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Mine works the same way as yours, if I'm reading it correctly. I replaced both bulbs with amber Leds from Oracle. I used the single terminal bulbs in both and it works just as it did before.

OP
OP
Lo Tek

Lo Tek

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply; I'm also attempting to use replacement LED's but would like to retain the "Park" function *IF* it actually works for anyone in the first place. Do I understand that yours didn't work in "Park" before you did the LED upgrade either?

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Mine uses a dual-element 7443 DRL bulb and the 7440NA for the signal. The high-output element illuminates for the DRL, and the dimmer element for the running/parking lights.
I tried to find a switchback lamp for the DRL, but can’t find one that has the lower-wattage element in amber.

So you’re saying you don’t have any running lights?

Kevin

OP
OP
Lo Tek

Lo Tek

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The high-output element illuminates for the DRL, and the dimmer element for the running/parking lights.

So you’re saying you don’t have any running lights?

Kevin
Correct - my high-output element illuminates for the DRL but the the dimmer element for the running/parking lights does not, even when "Park" is selected on the dash knob.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
^^ this is the same for me, and since I don't have actual "DRL"'s (base sport), my lights only come on when I turn the knob. I thought about rewiring them so both would come on like normal parking lights using the dimmer element, and both flash with the turn signal using the brighter element. But I think I'd need new bulb sockets, since I don't think both have 3 wires on them. (It would be like the non-Max Tow models then)

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Correct - my high-output element illuminates for the DRL but the the dimmer element for the running/parking lights does not, even when "Park" is selected on the dash knob.
If that's the case, you need to take it in for servicing: running lights are a US DOT requirement. It may be as simple as reprogramming the the fender lights. But as it is, it's illegal.

(It would be like the non-Max Tow models then)
The DRL fender lights are not a Max-Tow exclusive feature for the Sport/Sport S. I have them on my non-Max-Tow Sport S. I think it has more to do with painted or black fenders.

Kevin

OP
OP
Lo Tek

Lo Tek

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The DRL fender lights are not a Max-Tow exclusive feature for the Sport/Sport S. I have them on my non-Max-Tow Sport S. I think it has more to do with painted or black fenders.

Kevin
I believe that changed with the 2021's (and possibly very late 2020's that had the option for painted fenders, similar to Overlands). Previously the Sport S only got them with the Max Tow package, and what it actually got was the "base" Rubicon non-LED lights.

In any case, mine aren't "happy" and I'm trying to determine just exactly why before I decide what to do about it.

OP
OP
Lo Tek

Lo Tek

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So here's a followup - Sylvania ZEVO LED's provide hi/low functions as follows:

7443 - 1.7/0.7W White/White
7443A 1.5/0.4W Amber/Amber
7444 - 1.7/0.7W White/White
7444A - 2.5/0.5W Amber/Amber

All are 12.8v (reading from the packaging). Normally a 7444 will be brighter than 7443 but I'm not sure it's the case with these in white. The 7444A "should be" a significant improvement from the 7443A just looking at the numbers though.

The good side is that they work and provide both DRL and park light functions. The less good side is that they don't clock perfectly so leave a dark area in the corner of the reflectors.

A "cob" design would be better, and I'm wondering about trying one or another of the "switchback" style lamps for this, though it may need to be one that doesn't have an internal flasher/timer circuit.

garzilla

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Engineer
I believe that changed with the 2021's (and possibly very late 2020's that had the option for painted fenders, similar to Overlands). Previously the Sport S only got them with the Max Tow package, and what it actually got was the "base" Rubicon non-LED lights.

In any case, mine aren't "happy" and I'm trying to determine just exactly why before I decide what to do about it.
do you (or anyone) know which fender comes in the 2021 Sport S Max Tow that has color matched fenders?

edit - i found out. the body color fenders are the same as the overland so any solutions for that should work
Sponsored

Last edited: