Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Quick point.
It's a 4x4. You HAVE to run a same size spare if 4x4 is in use or risk damage to the spider gears.
You'll notice that all 4x4 and AWD cars come with a full-size spare. The only one I've ever seen come standard with a matching rim is the Wrangler. This is because you can see it.
I've never owned a truck with a matching rim for the spare and several of which actually had a different size rim than the main rims. Common practice in the automotive industry as 5 tire rotations aren't normal outside the Wrangler.
You can buy a 5th rim if you want but I've heard modification is necessary to the spare hoist to fit the rim or you can run a used tire on the factory rim underneath for a spare. It's a 17in rim underneath there for reference.
Ive got 5 km3 I'm going to run but only do 4 tire rotations. When that batch is worn out I'll buy 3 and keep the best used for a spare and swap that 5th in. If I cut one and need a new tire the new spare and a new tire will go on one axle and the slightly used other one becomes the spare. Tread depth side to side should be maintained as best as possible to avoid drive line strain.
Sponsored

OP
OP
STINGRAY92

STINGRAY92

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
Quick point.
It's a 4x4. You HAVE to run a same size spare if 4x4 is in use or risk damage to the spider gears.
You'll notice that all 4x4 and AWD cars come with a full-size spare. The only one I've ever seen come standard with a matching rim is the Wrangler. This is because you can see it.
I've never owned a truck with a matching rim for the spare and several of which actually had a different size rim than the main rims. Common practice in the automotive industry as 5 tire rotations aren't normal outside the Wrangler.
You can buy a 5th rim if you want but I've heard modification is necessary to the spare hoist to fit the rim or you can run a used tire on the factory rim underneath for a spare. It's a 17in rim underneath there for reference.
Ive got 5 km3 I'm going to run but only do 4 tire rotations. When that batch is worn out I'll buy 3 and keep the best used for a spare and swap that 5th in. If I cut one and need a new tire the new spare and a new tire will go on one axle and the slightly used other one becomes the spare. Tread depth side to side should be maintained as best as possible to avoid drive line strain.
Thanks for the response. Agree that a full size spare is needed when running 4x4. I should have clarified the spare is full size and (I believe) matches the stock tire outer diameter. I am doing the same thing with the matching wheel spare.

I’ve done five tire rotations in the past with trucks without too much problem, just needed to specify upfront. Hopefully I don’t run into any issues.

I am picking up the spare tomorrow so I can report back with how it fits. I didn’t see any reports that modifications are needed for a full size spare, so hopefully that isn’t the case. If so, I’ll have to find another solution.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Thanks for the response. Agree that a full size spare is needed when running 4x4. I should have clarified the spare is full size and (I believe) matches the stock tire outer diameter. I am doing the same thing with the matching wheel spare.

I’ve done five tire rotations in the past with trucks without too much problem, just needed to specify upfront. Hopefully I don’t run into any issues.

I am picking up the spare tomorrow so I can report back with how it fits. I didn’t see any reports that modifications are needed for a full size spare, so hopefully that isn’t the case. If so, I’ll have to find another solution.
I think it's the hanger. The steel spare had a larger inner hole than the other tires so it might not fit the pully.

OP
OP
STINGRAY92

STINGRAY92

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
I think it's the hanger. The steel spare had a larger inner hole than the other tires so it might not fit the pully.
Got it, thanks for clarifying, that makes sense. I’ll see how it goes! I’ll report back with any issues when I pick it up tomorrow.

Sponsored

OP
OP
STINGRAY92

STINGRAY92

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
So what's the verdict?
No verdict yet! TPMS sensor arrived later than expected. Arrived around 5PM today.

Handed rim and sensor off to the shop to set up fifth wheel over the weekend and will pick up Monday. Will report back when I pick it up.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
I’m not too familiar with the TPMS system. If you were to do a five tire rotation, how will the vehicle know to start reading the “new” sensor now that you’ve brought it down from the spare location to a moving wheel? Further, on a Rubicon, how does the tire fill alert system work when you’ve introduced a new sensor?

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I’m not too familiar with the TPMS system. If you were to do a five tire rotation, how will the vehicle know to start reading the “new” sensor now that you’ve brought it down from the spare location to a moving wheel? Further, on a Rubicon, how does the tire fill alert system work when you’ve introduced a new sensor?
Motion. The sytem reas the moving tires just like JL and JK did

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR

Sponsored

OP
OP
STINGRAY92

STINGRAY92

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
No verdict yet! TPMS sensor arrived later than expected. Arrived around 5PM today.

Handed rim and sensor off to the shop to set up fifth wheel over the weekend and will pick up Monday. Will report back when I pick it up.
Alright, picked up the spare with TPMS from the shop and had no issues installing the tire / OEM wheel in the spare tire slot. The spare carrier was a little snug fitting through the center of the wheel, but it made it through with no issues.

D196D180-6666-428C-85C2-A6D2C19E997E.jpeg

AF87C567-EF33-4B8F-9700-A5BFDE552BEE.jpeg

065D17AF-8C40-4381-840F-241F815FB928.jpeg

OP
OP
STINGRAY92

STINGRAY92

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
After the ceramic coating last week for the windshield and body, I waited 7 days and washed the car with CarPro Reset and applied CarPro’s Reload to the body of the vehicle as well as the wheels. I also applied ECH2O on all glass.

Forgot to take pics but it’s looking great now! I plan to repeat this with Reload monthly for the next three months and then once every three months after (will still wash with Reset but then follow up detail all surfaces with ECH2O every two to three weeks, as well as undercarriage wash).

Here’s a little more information on my process below:

Pre rinse vehicle
Reset on body and wheels (1.5 oz to 3 gal)
Reload on body (normal spray)
ECH2O on Glass (dilute 1:10 spray bottle mixed with 2 oz of Reload)
Reload on wheels (normal spray)
Sponsored