Sponsored

Stock airbox or stick with river raider snorkel system

Sruss915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 jeep wrangler
I have been going back and forth on whether or not to worry about my change to the river raider snorkel system. I installed the Hauk river raider system on my JT and it comes with an oiled gauze filter. I cant stop wondering if this filter type will be enough to keep the desert out of my engine so i ordered an afe 5r cone filter. My question is should I just leave it at that or undo this snorkel and just run stock airbox and filter?
Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have been going back and forth on whether or not to worry about my change to the river raider snorkel system. I installed the Hauk river raider system on my JT and it comes with an oiled gauze filter. I cant stop wondering if this filter type will be enough to keep the desert out of my engine so i ordered an afe 5r cone filter. My question is should I just leave it at that or undo this snorkel and just run stock airbox and filter?
Just my opinion, but I do believe snorkels do have their benefits and going above the dust line is one of those, as long as a quality filter is used and any factory air inlets (like the one behind the grill) are eliminated.

OP
OP
Sruss915

Sruss915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 jeep wrangler
So you say just stick with the afe confilter ? I have checked it after a few thousand miles and its catching the dust and thr inside of the filter looks brand new. I get the dust line part but the river raider sits a little over hood height right at the window so im not sure if it helps much with the dust.

OP
OP
Sruss915

Sruss915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 jeep wrangler
I took some pictures to give an idea of what im talking about.

20191229_161930.jpg

20191229_112017.jpg

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So you say just stick with the afe confilter ? I have checked it after a few thousand miles and its catching the dust and thr inside of the filter looks brand new. I get the dust line part but the river raider sits a little over hood height right at the window so im not sure if it helps much with the dust.
Since you already own it and if you like the way it looks, I would stay with the river raider and cone or stock filter. It is better than pulling air from behind the front grill. Just FYI, I do not judge a filter by looking at it but by inspecting the inlet tube after the filter
Sponsored