First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GMC Acadia 2012 GMC Sierra 1954 Chevy BelAir
Occupation
retired
I will be storing my Gladiator in a heated garage for a few months. Can I put a trickle charger on it instead of disconnecting the negative battery cables?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I will be storing my Gladiator in a heated garage for a few months. Can I put a trickle charger on it instead of disconnecting the negative battery cables?
Put on something like a 1500 mA BatteryMinder and it would be fine. Those charge the battery and then maintain at a voltage of something like 13.2
I use them on my classic cars for long-term storage, and even on my JT if I want to make sure the batteries are totally up when sitting for a few days. Works great.

These work great.

Jeep Gladiator Storing Jeep for a few months? 1700005920776

Tom C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude Diesel
Also, when storing for a prolonged period of time, put it on jack stands so your tires don’t develop flat spots.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Also, when storing for a prolonged period of time, put it on jack stands so your tires don’t develop flat spots.
Or just inflate the tires to their max pressure listed on the sidewall. Just don’t forget to adjust the pressure before driving off.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've done things both ways - up on stands, or over-inflated tires, on my cars that sit. Depends on my mood. Luckily the tires on my Javelin don't really flat spot easily even sitting for 2 years, but others I've had did.
I don't like hanging suspension so I always support under the axles on the rear and on IFS vehicles, under the outer ends of the lower control arms near the ball joints. For solid front axles - stands go under the axles. That's why I have some cheap HF small stands - good enough for storage without raising anything way up high.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
I don't like hanging suspension
Same here. I usually will get the axle up just far enough where the tire are barely touching the ground, if I'm storing for a long time.

Those of us Military guys who deployed and had the .Gov store our vehicles know good and well if not done proper, problems will await you upon your return.

KevinC

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Get some peppermint tea bags to place in the cab to maybe keep mice out… or get one of those electronic ultrasonic anti-rodent devices…

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Get some peppermint tea bags to place in the cab to maybe keep mice out… or get one of those electronic ultrasonic anti-rodent devices…
I used peppermint oil on cotton balls under the hood of my WJ - you need to keep it refreshed, though.
No faith in the electronic devices.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
When I store my BMW for 5 to 6 months in an unheated garage, I use a CarBag, which is basically a giant closeable tarp bag. Keeps out rodents and excessive moisture, it's been fantastic for the 5 years I've had it.
Sponsored