Sponsored

First Jeep - a few questions

TinyTink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S with Max Tow
Hello all, first time Jeep owner here. Just got a Gladiator Sport S with Max Tow. Granite metallic with a spray in bedliner, freedom top, etc.

You all know the amazing things about it (I give it 4 stars), so I'll stick with the few gripes I have to see if anyone has any solutions:

1. How the heck does it have push start, remote start, but no passive entry?!? Based on my research it seems that I can't get this added aftermarket. If I can, please let me know. I will gladly pay mega bucks so I don't have to root around in my purse every time I get in the car.

2. Interior space is a bit small. I'm 5'1" and still think it's cramped. No place to put my purse when my boyfriend is in the passenger seat. With all the cool mods available I figured someone has come up with a solution to the interior storage problem. I know there is a good amount of storage under the back seats but I mean "easily accessible storage".

3. I'm short, so I knew I would need running boards and aftermarket is the way to go. I didn't take into account the fact that my dog is 15. He was the first to ride in the front seat (much to my boyfriend's chagrin) so you know he's spoiled. But I had to pick him up and 40 lbs. is a bit too much for me. I wanted some really cool looking running boards, but have to settle for something an old dog can easily use. Any suggestions?

4. I specifically got the Sport S with Max Tow so I can tow a trailer. Gonna be at the beach all summer long with the roof off. Tow capacity is 7650 lbs. with a payload of 1560. I see a lot of trailers with a dry weight of 5300 that I really like. I think they will work since I don't have a lot of gear and will be using it at campsites so won't have fully loaded tanks. I see in the forum that a lot of you are towing stuff way smaller, but I also know the Rubicon and anything without the max tow has a much lower capacity. For those of you with the Sport S with Max Tow (highest tow capacity on a Jeep), what is the max weight you are comfortably towing at highway speeds of 65 or 70 mph? I will be driving 1-2 hours to all of my destinations.
Sponsored

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
Hello all, first time Jeep owner here...
1. I don't think it can be added after the fact because it's so integrated in with other systems that it would be cheaper to trade your current in for a loss and buy a new one.

2. Make your boyfriend hold your purse.

3. I've a set of Ace engineering Rock Sliders on my Wrangler for several years and i love them. I've got a set on order for my JT as well. I'm short too and the Ace sliders make great steps, i use them (I'm short too), my wife uses them and my kids use them. I have no idea if your dog will be able to use them.

4. No comment on towing.

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
With just you, one passenger, a dog, and not a lot of gear you'll be fine with 5300lbs towing. About 530lbs on the tongue leaves you with a thousand pounds of payload for hauling yourselves and gear. It might not be the best thing for a trailer that heavy but you are well within spec. The Gladiator has more passenger room than the Wrangler. I don't know of anything that will significantly increase front interior space though I haven't personally found it a problem on our Jeeps so I haven't looked into it. Jeep doesn't offer Sports with proximity so they can increase higher trim sales. A Sport S is a more basic model they save the high end options for the upper trims kind of a bummer but I don't think you can add it afterwards. If I couldn't pick up my pup and put him in the Jeep I'd probably make a ramp for him and toss it in the bed. Will be easiest on his old joints and the cheapest solution for you albeit a little bit of a hassle. Good luck Jeeps are super fun you won't be disappointed.

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
1. Yes. There are plenty of universal kits out there for this. A quick Google search yielded several results. Instead of a kit with hand sensors on the door, maybe there is a kit that you can use your cell phone to unlock your door with? I’d be more into that myself.

2. I’m not sure how big your purse is, but there is a bed if it’s so big you don’t have room for it in the cab.....but seriously, I can’t help you with that. Throw it in the back seat? Better yet, make BF sit in the back.:LOL:

3. If you need a nice wide running board I personally would look at the factory Overland running boards. They tuck up nice and have a wide platform.

4. I’m not a towing guru. Good luck.:like:

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
dry weight of 5300
Dry weight and actual weight of campers are usually very very different. Add in the extra gear in the truck and camper; it adds up fast. Research what 'dry weights' leave out; it's a LOT. And travel trailers tend to be tongue weight heavy, as compared to other types of trailers. The tall frontage also works against you at highway speeds. Just my thoughts.

I don't yet own a JT, but I've towed quite a bit over the years, usually in the 3500 - 7000 lb range. I own a 2015 Micro Lite 25 KS that I personally would consider about the max for most JTs.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Hello all, first time Jeep owner here. Just got a Gladiator Sport S with Max Tow. Granite metallic with a spray in bedliner, freedom top, etc.

You all know the amazing things about it (I give it 4 stars), so I'll stick with the few gripes I have to see if anyone has any solutions:

1. How the heck does it have push start, remote start, but no passive entry?!? Based on my research it seems that I can't get this added aftermarket. If I can, please let me know. I will gladly pay mega bucks so I don't have to root around in my purse every time I get in the car.

2. Interior space is a bit small. I'm 5'1" and still think it's cramped. No place to put my purse when my boyfriend is in the passenger seat. With all the cool mods available I figured someone has come up with a solution to the interior storage problem. I know there is a good amount of storage under the back seats but I mean "easily accessible storage".

3. I'm short, so I knew I would need running boards and aftermarket is the way to go. I didn't take into account the fact that my dog is 15. He was the first to ride in the front seat (much to my boyfriend's chagrin) so you know he's spoiled. But I had to pick him up and 40 lbs. is a bit too much for me. I wanted some really cool looking running boards, but have to settle for something an old dog can easily use. Any suggestions?

4. I specifically got the Sport S with Max Tow so I can tow a trailer. Gonna be at the beach all summer long with the roof off. Tow capacity is 7650 lbs. with a payload of 1560. I see a lot of trailers with a dry weight of 5300 that I really like. I think they will work since I don't have a lot of gear and will be using it at campsites so won't have fully loaded tanks. I see in the forum that a lot of you are towing stuff way smaller, but I also know the Rubicon and anything without the max tow has a much lower capacity. For those of you with the Sport S with Max Tow (highest tow capacity on a Jeep), what is the max weight you are comfortably towing at highway speeds of 65 or 70 mph? I will be driving 1-2 hours to all of my destinations.
1. You have discovered the great mystery. Nobody knows why the heck FCA did this, nor do we know why they changed the name of the option. On every other FCA vehicle it's called "Keyless Enter-N-Go". Also, when the JL Wranglers came out, the window stickers ALL erroneously listed this option, even though most of them didn't have it. Some guys filed a class action lawsuit over that. It's been a real cluster. Anyhow, you can add it. Some guys on the JL side of the forum have done it. It requires new door handles and dealer programming as well. Not a simple project but it can be done.

2. Try being 6'3" 220. The JK was narrow. FCA in their wisdom decided it wasn't narrow enough, so they shaved 1.7" more inches of hip and shoulder room out of the JL/JT. Again, nobody knows why they did this. Stupidity? Trying to shave weight for MPGs? Who knows. My wife throws her purse in the floorboard. Easy to reach and somewhat out of sight.

3. The MOPAR step rails are my favorite. They are lighter, safer, protect your paint better, and provide more surface area to step on. I haven't seen many aftermarket options yet that are superior to the factory offering.

4. I towed 6,300 lbs. last summer and it was fine. Truck did an amazing job IF you have experience towing and understand the physics involved and the way it changes the driving dynamic. I assume you are comfortable with that. DEFINITELY make sure you have a trailer brake controller installed though. That's the critical point with a midsize truck...you have to be able to stop that trailer in a controlled fashion. Otherwise, you'll be fine.

jlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport-S Max Tow, Punkin Metallic
My son's GF has hooks that attach to the posts of the headrests, and hang over the BACK of the front seats -- she hangs her purse/backback from that (NOT a Jeep, but ...) -- Look on amazon for "headrest hooks for purses"

OP
OP

TinyTink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S with Max Tow
Thanks guys! I found the purse hooks so that solves that problem. Currently looking at the running boards recommended. Going to try and find a travel trailer that's 4500 lbs. or less at dry weight just to be safe (similar weight to the Micro Lite mentioned). I've decided the "passive entry" isn't that important. I got used to having it on my last car, but after a few days I realized it's really not a big deal, especially since I pull the key fob out to use the remote start a lot more than I thought I would. Instead, I'm going to spend my money on good running boards, a doggie ramp, trailer brake installation, and the best sway bar and WDH money can buy. Thanks for all the help! This is my first Jeep and I'm loving it more every day.

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
Thanks guys! I found the purse hooks so that solves that problem. Currently looking at the running boards recommended. Going to try and find a travel trailer that's 4500 lbs. or less at dry weight just to be safe (similar weight to the Micro Lite mentioned). I've decided the "passive entry" isn't that important. I got used to having it on my last car, but after a few days I realized it's really not a big deal, especially since I pull the key fob out to use the remote start a lot more than I thought I would. Instead, I'm going to spend my money on good running boards, a doggie ramp, trailer brake installation, and the best sway bar and WDH money can buy. Thanks for all the help! This is my first Jeep and I'm loving it more every day.
You might want to look at Trailmanor for a trailer. They make really nice small trailers that function as bigger trailers. They have recently started producing again, and they are pretty sweet.

Clarkr32

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
My son's GF has hooks that attach to the posts of the headrests, and hang over the BACK of the front seats -- she hangs her purse/backback from that (NOT a Jeep, but ...) -- Look on amazon for "headrest hooks for purses"
I have these for my wife and was going to post exactly this but wife never uses it either ha

Sponsored

Clarkr32

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Wow from 2020 my apologies but hey how did it all end up lol

loganjeeps

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon, 96 Chevy 3500, 89 XJ (project)
#1 Passive Entry. Just to be clear it is an option, maybe it's not on the Sport, but it's on the Rubicons. As noted by people commenting on the breakage of it https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ive-entry-stopped-working.73328/#post-1197052

Glad you decided you don't need it though, I'm sure a dealer would charge you an arm and a leg to add it on ;) .

Congrats on the buy though. You'll love it. If you're already adding accessories you were meant to be a Jeep owner.
Sponsored