Sponsored

Sun Shades: J Tops v Spiderweb Shade

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Wanting to add a sun shade to my JT. My criteria is that it has to fit well and be able to stay installed semi permanently, IOW allow the hard top and freedom panels to be installed while in place and allow full functionality of the FP. Seems J Tops and Spiderweb are the 2 main suppliers with J Tops being a site sponsor so they are my primary options but if thereā€™s another manufacturers that has flown below my radar by all means I will consider others. Iā€™ve watched a bunch of videos of both with their respective owners appearing satisfied with their purchase but obviously none have experience with the other product so first hand knowledge of both products is missing. I guess that means both are solid products, which is a good thing. Iā€™m wondering if anyone has experience to the contrary of would go in a different direction if they had to do it again?
Sponsored

HighGround

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
I too strongly considered J-tops, but it just seemed like too much money for something I wasnā€™t sure I would enjoy.

So, I opted for the Rugged Ridge Eclipse Sunshade for a lot less, just to try the whole sun shade thing out.

I have the version that doesnā€™t have holes for the 3 horizontal latches on the Freedom Tops (per side). It does have a hole for the vertical latch. Initially, I found I could operate the latches through the screen as itā€™s very heavy duty. However, I ended up just using a very sharp knife to cut access exactly where I wanted it and itā€™s much easier.

Cutting the screen hasnā€™t caused any change to the tension or made it fray. Like I said, the screen is very heavy duty. It doesnā€™t flop at highway speeds or stretch with use and I take my panels off pretty frequently.

Now that I know I really enjoy the sunshade, I would feel comfortable spending the money on the J-tops, but only if I could see one in person. Iā€™m not convinced it could really be that much better since the RR stays put and keeps the UV off me. Plus I donā€™t have to fiddle with the header thing.

Hope that helps

Hothead Headliners

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 1989 YJ
Occupation
Jeep Headliners
Please keep us in mind for our Hothead Sunshades that will be coming out soon!

-Mark

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Iā€™ve owned two Spiderwebshades. They are top notch quality and can stay on permanently with hard or soft top. I think they make an option for the Sunrider too. I love mine.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I just liked the connection that JTops has better. I've had bikini tops for years and they can kind of suck if they don't have good attachments. It wasn't that much more expensive than the Spiderwebshades, like what $50? They just seemed very well thought out. When I have to cut stuff to make it work, I wonder who did the engineering, you know?

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Well shoot I wish I'd known about this. However, with Summer coming up and already having a sunburn from Spring, I needed something sooner than later - might make another Mojave run in April.

I will keep an eye out!

Please keep us in mind for our Hothead Sunshades that will be coming out soon!

-Mark

JeffInFLA

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Gladiator Willys
Vehicle Showcase
I too strongly considered J-tops, but it just seemed like too much money for something I wasnā€™t sure I would enjoy.

So, I opted for the Rugged Ridge Eclipse Sunshade for a lot less, just to try the whole sun shade thing out.

I have the version that doesnā€™t have holes for the 3 horizontal latches on the Freedom Tops (per side). It does have a hole for the vertical latch. Initially, I found I could operate the latches through the screen as itā€™s very heavy duty. However, I ended up just using a very sharp knife to cut access exactly where I wanted it and itā€™s much easier.

Cutting the screen hasnā€™t caused any change to the tension or made it fray. Like I said, the screen is very heavy duty. It doesnā€™t flop at highway speeds or stretch with use and I take my panels off pretty frequently.

Now that I know I really enjoy the sunshade, I would feel comfortable spending the money on the J-tops, but only if I could see one in person. Iā€™m not convinced it could really be that much better since the RR stays put and keeps the UV off me. Plus I donā€™t have to fiddle with the header thing.

Hope that helps
I have two separate sunshades. The front one I got from Amazon, and I like it... the back ine I just got from shadeidea... not pleased with it.

I figure it was probably a good time to do a YouTub/forum search and found some great vids... welp... looks like Iā€˜m gonna upgrade!

Last edited:

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link