Superchips Flashcal+ Initial Review

Snapper692

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
If I had to pick a word to describe this right now, that word would be 'clunky'. Feels more like a beta release...And I'll tell you why.

In general:
  1. Some features have to be done with the engine running, some without.
  2. Some features that have to be changed with the engine running require you to restart the engine for them to take effect.
  3. You have no idea what the requirements are till you try and save them.
  4. Can't clear DTCs with the engine running. You can pull them with the engine running, but not clear them. Maybe that's normal for jeep?
  5. After the first couple changes I made, the dash seemed to shut down normally after exiting the vehicle. After making a few more, it became rather delayed. I gave up after waiting 5 min and just removed the module. Haven't checked the shutdown time yet but will shortly. If it changes with it removed, Ill update this post.
Gauges:
  1. Clunky. If you're using the analog gauges, you should be able to view 2 at a time without scrolling. Gauges need to be closer together.
  2. If using digital gauges, you should be able to see 3 items. This is easily doing as this is just a spacing issue.
  3. Not enough supported PIDs! There shouldn't be an issue supporting the basics, like oil temp, trans temp or engine timing. These need to be supported!
Crawl:
  1. Super clunky! You shouldn't have to hit 'ok' 4 times to lock an axle!
  2. If you want to lock the front axle (after the rear is already locked) you have to unlock the rear, then lock them both toghether....again with clicking 'ok' 4 times (5, technically). This HAS to change.
  3. Same goes for the sway bar...Having to click 'ok' 4 time is too much.
  4. You're already providing visual updates when changing things, no need to acknowledge everything.....multiple times.
Needs (I'd say immediate...):
  1. Need to add the ability to disable traction control, preferably from the crawl screen.
  2. Need the ability to activate the rear camera at any time or any speed while in drive.
  3. Add the ability to enable the proximity sensor module. That's a popular add on that steers a lot of people to the Tazer.
  4. Need a 'reset all' feature. So far, I have to reset every option manually to go back to stock.
    1. This has done something funky to my BCM, and of course my Tazer has now captured these funky settings as my defaults. For example, my default stock gearing is now 4.099, and when I update to my gears, its 5.139. Notice the extra '9'? My default stock tire size is now 38.87. No idea where that's coming from....
  5. You have to get rid of having to send this in to unmarry from a vehicle. This is so 20 years ago...lol.
While I love the direction you're going with the Flashcal+, it still needs work! I'll probably end up going back to my Tazer till this is a little more mature.

In addition, I now have dash lights as my ACC and FCW need servicing......No idea what's going on with this one! :-/
Sponsored

OP
OP
Snapper692

Snapper692

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Another interesting finding....The Flashcal allows for module resets. I tried the ABS reset, and it locks up the app and throws DTCs for ABS. Tried running it about 6 times, it locked up all but once. Now I have another DTC to try and figure out how to remedy. The other module resets 'seem' to work, but I don't have much faith since I now have 4 DTC from just the ABS reset. :-/

Soldots

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2017 GCTH (Hemi), 2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Health IT
I installed this about two weeks ago and I would echo your opinions. The ability to auto adjust the tire size crashes the app - it has never worked. The ESS disable only works around 80% of the time - and it requires leaving the module plugged in. For what this costs, it very much feels like a beta product.

cheitz9600

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
If I had to pick a word to describe this right now, that word would be 'clunky'. Feels more like a beta release...And I'll tell you why.

In general:
  1. Some features have to be done with the engine running, some without.
  2. Some features that have to be changed with the engine running require you to restart the engine for them to take effect.
  3. You have no idea what the requirements are till you try and save them.
  4. Can't clear DTCs with the engine running. You can pull them with the engine running, but not clear them. Maybe that's normal for jeep?
  5. After the first couple changes I made, the dash seemed to shut down normally after exiting the vehicle. After making a few more, it became rather delayed. I gave up after waiting 5 min and just removed the module. Haven't checked the shutdown time yet but will shortly. If it changes with it removed, Ill update this post.
Gauges:
  1. Clunky. If you're using the analog gauges, you should be able to view 2 at a time without scrolling. Gauges need to be closer together.
  2. If using digital gauges, you should be able to see 3 items. This is easily doing as this is just a spacing issue.
  3. Not enough supported PIDs! There shouldn't be an issue supporting the basics, like oil temp, trans temp or engine timing. These need to be supported!
Crawl:
  1. Super clunky! You shouldn't have to hit 'ok' 4 times to lock an axle!
  2. If you want to lock the front axle (after the rear is already locked) you have to unlock the rear, then lock them both toghether....again with clicking 'ok' 4 times (5, technically). This HAS to change.
  3. Same goes for the sway bar...Having to click 'ok' 4 time is too much.
  4. You're already providing visual updates when changing things, no need to acknowledge everything.....multiple times.
Needs (I'd say immediate...):
  1. Need to add the ability to disable traction control, preferably from the crawl screen.
  2. Need the ability to activate the rear camera at any time or any speed while in drive.
  3. Add the ability to enable the proximity sensor module. That's a popular add on that steers a lot of people to the Tazer.
  4. Need a 'reset all' feature. So far, I have to reset every option manually to go back to stock.
    1. This has done something funky to my BCM, and of course my Tazer has now captured these funky settings as my defaults. For example, my default stock gearing is now 4.099, and when I update to my gears, its 5.139. Notice the extra '9'? My default stock tire size is now 38.87. No idea where that's coming from....
  5. You have to get rid of having to send this in to unmarry from a vehicle. This is so 20 years ago...lol.
While I love the direction you're going with the Flashcal+, it still needs work! I'll probably end up going back to my Tazer till this is a little more mature.

In addition, I now have dash lights as my ACC and FCW need servicing......No idea what's going on with this one! :-/
Did you ever find a solution for the issue with the ACC / FCW? Just installed this last night and now having the same issue on my ā€˜21 JT and after an hour and a half on the phone with Holley with no resolution the phone call was disconnectedā€¦

Puch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Electronics technician
Did you ever find a solution for the issue with the ACC / FCW? Just installed this last night and now having the same issue on my ā€˜21 JT and after an hour and a half on the phone with Holley with no resolution the phone call was disconnectedā€¦
Just curious, did you run the update agent for product updates?

Sponsored

cheitz9600

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
Just curious, did you run the update agent for product updates?
I did not, this is my first experience with a product like this and unfortunately it came with no instructions other than a few 45 second videos on the smartphone app it connects with. Maybe Iā€™m missing something but itā€™s just a Bluetooth dongle that plugs into the obd port so Iā€™m not even sure how I would go about updating (canā€™t plug it into a computer etc.)? Any help is appreciated!

Puch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Electronics technician
I did not, this is my first experience with a product like this and unfortunately it came with no instructions other than a few 45 second videos on the smartphone app it connects with. Maybe Iā€™m missing something but itā€™s just a Bluetooth dongle that plugs into the obd port so Iā€™m not even sure how I would go about updating (canā€™t plug it into a computer etc.)? Any help is appreciated!
I have the flashcal F5 on my 2020 JT not Flashcal +. My mistake. Sorry about that.

cheitz9600

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
I have the flashcal F5 on my 2020 JT not Flashcal +. My mistake. Sorry about that.
No worries thank you for clarifying, hindsight wish I would have just spent a little more and got the Flashcal F5 lol.

Puch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Electronics technician
No worries thank you for clarifying, hindsight wish I would have just spent a little more and got the Flashcal F5 lol.
The F5 has its issues too, but still like it better than the tazer.

BigLizzard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
I make people bigger brighter and louder
I picked up the trail dash 3, an it feels a bit clunky and slow. I got it mostly for the tuning, but still. They could have installed a custom rom on a cell phone that would have had better performance than the hardware they're selling. Im glad the features they have as buttons don't take 4 button presses for the td3. They need to really improve some hardware imo though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Snapper692

Snapper692

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
yes, the dealership had to reprogram the forward collision module as it had been completely wiped.

OP
OP
Snapper692

Snapper692

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
I picked up the trail dash 3, an it feels a bit clunky and slow. I got it mostly for the tuning, but still. They could have installed a custom rom on a cell phone that would have had better performance than the hardware they're selling. Im glad the features they have as buttons don't take 4 button presses for the td3. They need to really improve some hardware imo though.
Did they ever update it so it would show trans/oil temps?

BigLizzard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
I make people bigger brighter and louder
Did they ever update it so it would show trans/oil temps?
I checked today and could not find anything that shows those values. I may not know what the sensor name is if its actually there, but there is no sensors labeled trans temp or oil temp.
Sponsored