Tailgate Camera Blackout Color Match?

Wizard5980

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; TJ
Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question or has already covered in another post; I tried to search for it but couldn't find it.

I have a Gobi and just ordered a matte black blackout tailgate kit for the tailgate. I want to color match the camera bezel so it doesn't stand out. I know many others have done the same thing but haven't seen anything on how they color matched it. Is there a separate vinyl kit for the camera I'm missing? Are people order a whole role of extra vinyl just for the camera? Or are they just painting them matte black? I looked to see if there was a way to replace just the bezel but don't see that as an option. This has been driving me crazier than I already am!
Sponsored

c4nuck

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JT
Occupation
Engineer
I wrapped my bezel with leftover vinyl, not the easiest. I was hoping to be able to separate the camera from the bezel and paint it, but it appears the camera body is some sort of rivet holding it to the bezel. I didn't want to push my luck at risk of breaking something and not being able to get it back together. Another option I looked at was ordering a new camera in black, way too expensive of an option IMO.

Looks pretty crappy up close, but not bad from far. Much better than an orange bezel over the blackout.

Jeep Gladiator Tailgate Camera Blackout Color Match? 20210130_185957

Jeep Gladiator Tailgate Camera Blackout Color Match? 20210130_212448

OP
OP
Wizard5980

Wizard5980

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; TJ
Thanks & I'm right there with you that it's way too much buy a black one. I've looked at some salvage yards to see if they had any. None in black and still $100-$150 bucks.

You hit the nail on the head with my concern with vinyl too. This would be my first time working with it and odds are I'll screw t up and my OCD would kick in.

I just found these in my search last night:
Carbon Fiber ABS Rear Door Tailgate Camera Hole Trim For Jeep Gladiator JT18-20 | eBay

Not the color I need but I'd rather paint the plastic cover over the camera itself. Unless I get other suggestions I'll probably give this a try and hit it with some black plastic dip over matte paint. See how it goes.

Thanks again!

c4nuck

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JT
Occupation
Engineer
Let me know how that bezel works out, I considered that option as well, but wasnt sure how much it actually covered.

These days my tailgate is covered in snow anyways so it doesn't bother me much. Once spring hits I'll have to find a way to clean up my camera wrap job.

OP
OP
Wizard5980

Wizard5980

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; TJ
Wrapped the tailgate and put it back together. Absolutely happy with the result!
$20 for the camera bezel; hit it with 4 coats of plastic dip. Not a perfect match but I think it looks great and a lot easier than trying to wrap the camera. Will have to wait to see how well it holds up but so far so good!

Jeep Gladiator Tailgate Camera Blackout Color Match? 20210311_114506
Jeep Gladiator Tailgate Camera Blackout Color Match? 20210311_121507

Sponsored

Hank_

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Mojave, 1941 Willys
Occupation
Ford and Jeep warranty claim analyst.
That turned out great. What wrap kit did you order? Does your wrap around the taillamps too?

Hank

OP
OP
Wizard5980

Wizard5980

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; TJ
That turned out great. What wrap kit did you order? Does your wrap around the taillamps too?

Hank

Thanks Hank. Really happy with how it turned out. I ordered my kit from Brendan at L&B Design Works. He has an Etsy store here:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LBdesignworks?ref=search_shop_redirect

The kit does include the pieces to wrap around the taillamps and also some small pieces to wrap the camera if you want to try. This was my first go at applying. The tailgate piece was pretty easy.
The taillamps... well they were a pain in the @@s! Between the wrap around the corner and step down for where the light sits you really need to work with it. I actually messed them up on the first go and had to have Brendan cut me replacements. He was really good about it; didn't kill me on the price and gave me two sets in case I had a problem again...hahaha. Looking to get them on this weekend hopefully. I Will be using the heat gun more to help mold the wrap; think that was my issue the first go around.

The pieces for the camera are just squares. Since the camera has so many angles you will need to really work with it and then cut the whole out for the lens. For me, the bezel worked out much better as I probably would have gotten frustrated and ended up throwing the camera across the room.

Chris

cgm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Rubicon
i'll be doing this once my decals come in from pixel decals... i got the red and black topo hood, vents and rear tailgate decals. in the mean time, i have been watching a couple of videos to plan out the install.

This one from underground graphics shows how they do the back up camera wrap at 33:30 ish in the video. i havn;t done it yet, but it looks doable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So1x0Eg_vao

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
They aren't actually rivets, they're just super tiny torx screws that hold the camera to the bezel, if you look up camera replacement videos it takes all of about 2 minutes to get the bezel free.

pixeldecals

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pixeldecals.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
A real easy way I have accomplished it is to heat the vinyl you want to wrap it with and then have someone shove the camera into the heated material while you hold it. Then you carefully trim out the camera with an exacto blade.
Sponsored