First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Deputy Fire Chief
I couldn't find a post that closely related to my issue, so I'm hoping a new topic might give me some insight.

I've been using a Tazer JL mini on my 2021 Jeep Gladiator for a few weeks now and noticed that my fuel economy has gotten progressively worse after changing my tire size. I only went from the stock tires to my 285/75R17 tires. I made the change with the Tazer to ensure my speed was correct, but now I notice that I rarely see 8th gear, much less 7th gear during highway driving.

This is my second Gladiator, my first having been recently bought back by FCA for electrical problems. I ran the same exact wheel/tire combo on the first Gladiator with tire programming done via use of J-Scan. With my old Gladiator programmed via J-Scan I was consistently seeing 7th gear, and often 8th but also I was also getting 15-17 mpg vs the 13-14 I'm getting now with Tazer JL programming. Both vehicles are otherwise identically equipped for engine and drive-train. I also would not consider myself an aggressive driver, and even using greatly reduced highway speeds the vehicle seems to stay in 6th gear at over 3000 rpm.

I'm wondering if it's possible that I've made an incorrect setting to cause this discrepancy? Admittedly I have not updated the firmware since receiving the unit a few weeks ago, so that will likely be my first course of action. A lot of the other benefits of the Tazer vs. J-Scan seems to make it a superior product, so I'm hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
It doesn't matter how you set the tire size, it just changes a preset parameter in the computer. In this respect, neither jscan nor tazer will be superior, because it's not really doing anything but accessing a hidden menu item that's already there. I'd start by making sure you picked the right tire size. Should be very close to 33.83", depending on the tire itself.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is strange. I just finished driving up to my place in NH and on a 110 mile trip up it was in 8th the vast majority of the time. My truck is a stock Mojave on 285s with 4.10 axles. Which as I'm typing this I realize probably makes a difference.

OP
OP
911brad

911brad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Deputy Fire Chief
It doesn't matter how you set the tire size, it just changes a preset parameter in the computer. In this respect, neither jscan nor tazer will be superior, because it's not really doing anything but accessing a hidden menu item that's already there. I'd start by making sure you picked the right tire size. Should be very close to 33.83", depending on the tire itself.
This seems to have made the difference. I went with the actual measured height instead of the computed. I instantly see that I've now going from 13.5 mpg to over 18 average. My MPH seems to be a tad off, but it shows that I'm going about 1 MPH slower than the speedometer shows, so the mpg probably isn't completely accurate, but I'm sure I'll quickly tell a difference when I'm filling up less often.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Brad
Sponsored