Sponsored

TFL got a JTR Eco Diesel... 1st video review.

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
Cost has almost nothing to do with the decision for me. I can gear it for free since I have take out gears on the shelf..... I have also re-geared all of the Jeep platforms over the past 30 years......you don't get any power back, its just more usable in the range of cruise speeds.

I've been building on a JT for a client so I have a fair amount of seat time......enough to know as soon as I hit the hills with a trailer I'm not going to be happy.
my post was for Mac in response to him saying perceived differences. If it’s not for you it’s not for you but there’s a definitive difference between the two motors that shouldn’t be dismissed. I’m glad they offered it cause IF it stays reliable it’s a great solution. I would struggle to own the gasser.
Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Then factor in the 3% loss of power per 1,000 ft of elevation gain with the 3.6 vs the turbo charged eco that should not occur assuming charger/tuning are correct. We regularly travel 4-7000'!

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
my post was for Mac in response to him saying perceived differences. If it’s not for you it’s not for you but there’s a definitive difference between the two motors that shouldn’t be dismissed. I’m glad they offered it cause IF it stays reliable it’s a great solution. I would struggle to own the gasser.
Yes, the reliability wildcard!

I'm selling my super clean modded reliable tow beast, 2006 Dodge 3500 cause I just dont need a truck that big anymore. Been flipping on selling for 5 years since its kinda irreplaceable......

Wish the eco could be as simple and reliable......would be worth it at an even higher upcharge!

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
Then factor in the 3% loss of power per 1,000 ft of elevation gain with the 3.6 vs the turbo charged eco that should not occur assuming charger/tuning are correct. We regularly travel 4-7000'!
It’s not a 3% difference, na loses power too. You can justify it how you want. I’ve seen jl’ son the dyno at elevation and in 37’s and they rarely hit over 140hp and similar tq to the wheels . That’s pathetic.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I put a lot more weight in reliability than performance. The JT is the perfect platform for how I use a vehicle. I don’t disagree the diesel will out perform the gas engine but it comes at a heavy cost. This is the third iteration of this motor, the previous two versions have a pretty poor track record, I could almost tolerate reliability problems if the dealer network was good and could support the problems but sadly from first hand experience, the dealer’s service centers are under staffed, under trained and don’t care about the customer. Call the 3.6 a slow minivan motor, at least it is proven and fairly simple. The diesel is incredibly complex due to emissions requirements, the olden times lure of the slow turning run for a million miles diesels ended many years ago, high rpm, 30k psi rail pressure and complex emissions turned the current diesels into a temperamental unreliable mess.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I put a lot more weight in reliability than performance. The JT is the perfect platform for how I use a vehicle. I don’t disagree the diesel will out perform the gas engine but it comes at a heavy cost. This is the third iteration of this motor, the previous two versions have a pretty poor track record, I could almost tolerate reliability problems if the dealer network was good and could support the problems but sadly from first hand experience, the dealer’s service centers are under staffed, under trained and don’t care about the customer. Call the 3.6 a slow minivan motor, at least it is proven and fairly simple. The diesel is incredibly complex due to emissions requirements, the olden times lure of the slow turning run for a million miles diesels ended many years ago, high rpm, 30k psi rail pressure and complex emissions turned the current diesels into a temperamental unreliable mess.
I don't consider the 3.6 reliable by any stretch, but it is simple and cheaper in comparison to the eco. EVERY 3.6 JK and one Charger I've had in the shop has had somewhat major problems that required at least minor disassembly of the engine due to oil pump, cylinder head, camshaft, or rocker arm issues. Also the early ones had the heater cores plug up with sand.....so there's a nightmare fix. Add insult to injury, none of these issues were fixed with a single trip to the dealer......Many trips and runarounds till they got ironed out.

I read a forum member's comment to the 3rd gen eco's 80% new parts.......It's 20% shit and 80% unproven, so that's an improvement? Then in my mind I think the 3.6 in this particular vehicle platform is 100% proven shit by not enough power therefore needs to be beat on regularly and the failures I have seen. It WILL most certainly fail or have a short life when it lives at 6000+ rpm for 40% of it's life it I were to have one.

I'm considering that I should just pass on the Jeep "upgrade" due to the unknowns and just build a stroker for my YJ and install the A/C kit I have already till we know more. Maybe within 2 years, the 6.4 will be available! I can buy a lot of gas for the old trusty 4.0 platform for the cost of an $80K JT build!
Sponsored

Last edited: