First Name
Romina
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thinskinz.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hi Guys. Sorry we've been a MIA lately as we've been working on some R&D... so this may be a bit of a long post.

We've gotten a number of requests for a matte finish on the Skinz so we've been trying find the best method to achieve that surface. Some of the guys on the forum have suggested chemical surface treatments to take down the shine... or covering it with some kind of coating.

If you've seen earlier threads, we initially wanted the finish to look more like the original door during development. We tried different formulations and additives to achieve a matte finish that was impregnated in the ABS material but our former couldn't keep the shine down after heating and forming. We actually held back our initial launch by months but had to finally make the decision to go ahead with the finish we have because people's doors were getting destroyed.

So over the past few weeks we looked at a chemical bath to etch the surface but most of the electroplating shops in southern California only do metal and wouldn't mix plastic into their tanks. We did eventually find one electroplater that did try but he said it didn't work out (no other details).

We did however come across a super helpful guy in northern California who offered to blast the surface. Even though he thought that he wouldn't be able to help us with a run because his shop is slammed with work and even suggested we find a shop local to us to do the actual run, he asked us to send him a sample to try anyway. Unbelievably great guy and so grateful to him for his help.

Sample arrived last week and we think the result is Amazing! Take a look at the photos below and let us know what you think...

Jeep Gladiator ThinSkinz - New Satin Finish !!! TS-Photos-Finishes1-20211015

Jeep Gladiator ThinSkinz - New Satin Finish !!! ThinSkinz-Satin_and_Standard Finish 1
Jeep Gladiator ThinSkinz - New Satin Finish !!! ThinSkinz-Satin_and_Standard Finish 2

We know the finish is very important to a lot of people and understandably so. Beyond matching the shape and providing superior performance, they want the Skinz to match the finish of the original door and we feel the same. However, it's going to be an extra charge that we're trying very hard to keep down. It'll be a manual process performed by an experienced person at a local shop in SoCal. He'll be using fine grit aluminum oxide media at low pressure and taking a lot of light passes to take down the shine. After that we are applying a layer of M40 vinyl conditioner to bring back some of the color and achieve the satin smooth finish.

Between handling, delivery, setup, blasting and cleanup we're looking at about an extra $30 per set. So the final price for a pair of Skinz with blasted matte finish will be $159. Can anyone help us to determine if this is still a good value that we can start offering?

Your input would be immensely appreciated before we commit to a run of blasted parts. Thanks in advance!

Romina @ ThinSkinz
Sponsored

Last edited:

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I think this is a great idea. I haven't purchased thinskinz yet, but it's on my list. Because I keep bumping the door panel taking my daughter's car seat in and out.

AmosMoses01

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Technology
Wow that looks fantastic - I'm both happy and sad I literally ordered last weekend! If I'd seen these I probably would have waited - ha! Question though: The satin finish looks great, but have you "Golden Retriever" tested it? Will dog nails show scratches on the satin finish?

CG32

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S with Max Tow
Occupation
Audio visual production sales
Wow! I say yes, the extra cost is worth it. I wish I had these a month ago when I moved my dogs 200 miles to our new house. The golden retriever test is a legit test of durability!

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
That’s WAY better! That looks really nice.

Sponsored

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
Son of a bitch! Mine are like a month old, now I’m gonna have to buy another set.

OP
OP
ThinSkinz

ThinSkinz

First Name
Romina
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thinskinz.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Wow that looks fantastic - I'm both happy and sad I literally ordered last weekend! If I'd seen these I probably would have waited - ha! Question though: The satin finish looks great, but have you "Golden Retriever" tested it? Will dog nails show scratches on the satin finish?
Great question...no we haven't done a "Golden Retriever" test yet but unless it's a deep scratch we think some M40 conditioner should get rid of those light scratches.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
I got mine about 2 weeks ago and my wife hated the shine. Told me to sand them or paint them. Not sure what I’ll do.

Sponsored

Jimmij

First Name
Jimmij
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator overland, 2004 Honda s2000
I would definitely buy a set

CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave JT; 2016 Cherokee
Hi Guys. Sorry we've been a MIA lately as we've been working on some R&D... so this may be a bit of a long post.

We've gotten a number of requests for a matte finish on the Skinz so we've been trying find the best method to achieve that surface. Some of the guys on the forum have suggested chemical surface treatments to take down the shine... or covering it with some kind of coating.

If you've seen earlier threads, we initially wanted the finish to look more like the original door during development. We tried different formulations and additives to achieve a matte finish that was impregnated in the ABS material but our former couldn't keep the shine down after heating and forming. We actually held back our initial launch by months but had to finally make the decision to go ahead with the finish we have because people's doors were getting destroyed.

So over the past few weeks we looked at a chemical bath to etch the surface but most of the electroplating shops in southern California only do metal and wouldn't mix plastic into their tanks. We did eventually find one electroplater that did try but he said it didn't work out (no other details).

We did however come across a super helpful guy in northern California who offered to blast the surface. Even though he thought that he wouldn't be able to help us with a run because his shop is slammed with work and even suggested we find a shop local to us to do the actual run, he asked us to send him a sample to try anyway. Unbelievably great guy and so grateful to him for his help.

Sample arrived last week and we think the result is Amazing! Take a look at the photos below and let us know what you think...

Jeep Gladiator ThinSkinz - New Satin Finish !!! ThinSkinz-Satin_and_Standard Finish 2

We know the finish is very important to a lot of people and understandably so. Beyond matching the shape and providing superior performance, they want the Skinz to match the finish of the original door and we feel the same. However, it's going to be an extra charge that we're trying very hard to keep down. It'll be a manual process performed by an experienced person at a local shop in SoCal. He'll be using fine grit aluminum oxide media at low pressure and taking a lot of light passes to take down the shine. After that we are applying a layer of M40 vinyl conditioner to bring back some of the color and achieve the satin smooth finish.

Between handling, delivery, setup, blasting and cleanup we're looking at about an extra $30 per set. So the final price for a pair of Skinz with blasted matte finish will be $159. Can anyone help us to determine if this is still a good value that we can start offering?

Your input would be immensely appreciated before we commit to a run of blasted parts. Thanks in advance!

Romina @ ThinSkinz
Color option would push me into a buyer. Especially if body colors (like Sarge) were an option. Lacking that, how paintable are Skinz? Could I easily buy and paint my preferred color? Thanks!

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
I like the satin look a lot more. Wish I had held out on my original purchase!

Status
Not open for further replies.