Sponsored

Thoughts from a new Gladiator (and Jeep) owner after a 1100 mile drive home.

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
The worst thing about Apple Car Play sucking so bad is that I now need to figure out a mount for the phone. I originally thought I'd just stow it in the center glove box.
67 Designs make awesome phone and other gadget mounts.
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
I don't mind Google maps on a computer or tablet or the phone but it just doesn't translate well to the Jeep's screen. It's a lot harder to get addresses plugged into.
I've stopped trying to use Google crap and use Waze any time I need nav in the JT now. Superior. Blows Google craps away.
I can't figure out hot to get Google craps on the screen to allow EASY plugging in of an address - I usually do that on the phone and then connect it to the truck. Google is really lame in that area, IMO.
I found with a high-end USB C to C cable I've gotten better reliability in connections. I bought one that has a 90 degree angle on one end so instead if the cable dropping down across the dash when my phone is up in the mount, it goes off to the right side and down, not in the way of any other controls. Love that cable.
I think Android Auto works extremely will in the Gladiator. Some of the software updates to android auto also helped with some of the quirks.

My suggestion would be first and foremost to customize android auto on your smart device.

When inputting an address I find the most convenient way to is using the voice recognition system in the vehicle. If I don't do it that way then, I do what you do and use the phone then connect.

Using the voice button on the steering wheel (do a long press as a short press activates Uconnect commands)l to enter my destinations when inside the vehicle. I find this way easier than inputing though the screen. Voice recognition works pretty well even when the vehicle is in motion.

when replying to text, I speak and google captures and sends. Safe and easy IMO.

Hopefully this helps with the experience.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I think Android Auto works extremely will in the Gladiator. Some of the software updates to android auto also helped with some of the quirks.

My suggestion would be first and foremost to customize android auto on your smart device.

When inputting an address I find the most convenient way to is using the voice recognition system in the vehicle. If I don't do it that way then, I do what you do and use the phone then connect.

Using the voice button on the steering wheel (do a long press as a short press activates Uconnect commands)l to enter my destinations when inside the vehicle. I find this way easier than inputing though the screen. Voice recognition works pretty well even when the vehicle is in motion.

when replying to text, I speak and google captures and sends. Safe and easy IMO.

Hopefully this helps with the experience.
Thanks will take that into consideration. I have been using Waze over Google maps as the screen is better, get better/more info and it's more accurate (not to mention totally current locations of stalled vehicles, accidents and police activity) I've not tried Waze with voice.
I did do voice one time (can't recall the app I was using) but it was amazing as it took the command exactly as a human might give it or address an envelope, Plain English instead of working backwards state, city, address, street. I voiced in address, street, city and state. Loved it.

jefflaur1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Oberland
Congrats on your new toy 👍 👍 👍

I don't use the Andriod connect. I have the factory navigation system which fills my needs perfectly as does Sirius.

Fuel economy...I'm guessing the 4PT setting does drag down economy a bit but, that much? I had the 4PT in my GC's (two of them were QD II so it was like 4PT all the time) and would use it a LOT in winter and didn't notice any significant reduction in fuel economy. I'm guessing it's a break in thing? I typically drive (on long trips where allowed) 70-75 mph and get over 23 mpg with mine. Granted I don't have the Selec-trac system (2H, 4FT, 4PT, N, 4Lo) so it's always 2H but still...when I first got mine, I drove from home (West Chester, PA) to Boston that very weekend and averaged over 23 mpg the whole trip on a vehicle that arrived with only 6 miles on the odometer. That included my wife driving some of it and she's a bit of a lead foot Louise :LOL::LOL::LOL:
Ditto..we have two Gladiators and the Overland consistently gets us 23-24mpg in interstates..the Willys stays around 19-20mpg but it has more aggressive tires. pretty darn good for a Jeep 6cyl and. either one has the 4WD auto..just the standard 2H/4H/N/4L

Sponsored

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
Did you come from a Ford by chance? My fusion acted the way you described. It would light the AC light if it was actually using it, and I could turn it off but leave it in auto mode, telling it basically, do what you have to do, just don't use the ac.

Auto Mode in these trucks, if it's in auto it's not going to tell you when it is or isn't using ac, and there seems to be no way to prohibit it. If I want to know if AC is being used, I hit the auto button to turn it auto off, and if it was using AC, the AC light will then light up. I can turn the AC off at that point, but then turning it back to "Auto" it seems to just do what it wants in regards to using AC or not.
I'm coming from a Honda that behaved as above, and I also really liked it. Sometimes, I just don't need the AC, but can otherwise leave the auto on to use vent or heat as appropriate. This is actually my #1 gripe with the gladiator (so, not saying much, eh?). I just turn off auto and turn up the fan.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm coming from a Honda that behaved as above, and I also really liked it. Sometimes, I just don't need the AC, but can otherwise leave the auto on to use vent or heat as appropriate. This is actually my #1 gripe with the gladiator (so, not saying much, eh?). I just turn off auto and turn up the fan.
My Volvo was this way. Unless I needed to defog the windshield, I spent the whole winter in Auto with the AC turned off.

It did what it needed to do to keep the temp in line. AC was never needed when it was winter.

I wrote that way back in January.

Since then I've found I switch between Auto and manual selection of what vent to use about 50-50.

I'll start in Auto and then select floor, then turn off AC if it needs to happen. It works fine. I'd still like to be able to use auto with the AC forced off. In the winter, with my old car, I could literally go weeks without touching the HVAC controls.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My Volvo was this way. Unless I needed to defog the windshield, I spent the whole winter in Auto with the AC turned off.

It did what it needed to do to keep the temp in line. AC was never needed when it was winter.

I wrote that way back in January.

Since then I've found I switch between Auto and manual selection of what vent to use about 50-50.

I'll start in Auto and then select floor, then turn off AC if it needs to happen. It works fine. I'd still like to be able to use auto with the AC forced off. In the winter, with my old car, I could literally go weeks without touching the HVAC controls.
Last time I had to touch the HVAC controls was when the dealer had the electric apart charging and checking the batteries, otherwise the only time I touch the HVAC is if I really need windshield defrost and that's not often. I bet I can go 10 months without messing with HVAC at all. Set it and forget it.

Casmojave

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
That is great. I'm at 1600 miles and I'm getting 13 mpg max. I have 35s but still thought I'd see 16 on the road. I'm in East Texas which is a little hilly and windy this time of year. Hoping it is break in and winter blend. Maybe this summer I'll hit 15.
I have right at 3k miles and getting 18 mpg running 70 on I 45 stock Mojave.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last time I had to touch the HVAC controls was when the dealer had the electric apart charging and checking the batteries, otherwise the only time I touch the HVAC is if I really need windshield defrost and that's not often. I bet I can go 10 months without messing with HVAC at all. Set it and forget it.
Mine works that way also. But in the winter, I would like to know that the AC compressor is not running. There's no point in burning the extra fuel.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mine works that way also. But in the winter, I would like to know that the AC compressor is not running. There's no point in burning the extra fuel.
They've used the AC for at least 45 years to defog in cool humid weather. If I didn't allow the AC to run, I'd never see out the windows here in Iowa and I'm not kidding. You get drastic temp and humidity changes, pull out of a warm garage and hit a cold draw near the river, then back up where the air is about 10 degrees warmer and more humid.............. need that AC.
We can go from 90% humidity and 74 degrees to 34 and 90% in a few hours. And some of the air in the low areas between hills, near creeks and ponds hasn't gotten the message - the glass instantly fogs - inside and outside.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They've used the AC for at least 45 years to defog in cool humid weather. If I didn't allow the AC to run, I'd never see out the windows here in Iowa and I'm not kidding. You get drastic temp and humidity changes, pull out of a warm garage and hit a cold draw near the river, then back up where the air is about 10 degrees warmer and more humid.............. need that AC.
We can go from 90% humidity and 74 degrees to 34 and 90% in a few hours. And some of the air in the low areas between hills, near creeks and ponds hasn't gotten the message - the glass instantly fogs - inside and outside.
That may be the case where you live.

But in MA and NH, I can run for weeks with my other car on Auto and the AC forced off. It works great and helps fuel economy a bit. I'd simply like the option. I don't in the Jeep unless I want to go to manual control of the HVAC system.
Sponsored