Sponsored

Anyone have thoughts on going from a truck and wrangler to a Gladiator?

Robieman

First Name
Robie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford F150; '20 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
I traded an F-150 & a 2 door JL for my Gladiator. Best of both worlds in one vehicle. Only thing I miss is the big gas tank on the F-150. Past that, no regrets.
Sponsored

Yogi "53

First Name
Vern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GladiatorMojave,x7,330ci,530,66vette,74vette,75TA
Occupation
self employed
Hey all,

A little background to go with that question.. I have a low mileage 2 door rust free JK and a hi-mileage honda Ridgeline that runs flawlessly. I traded in my ram and sold my hemi jku. To get my wife a new vehicle and clear up some bills. I could not be happier with my 07 jk with 4.10 and 33's . Its fun to drive , It's a mall crawler and my summer convertible. I need the RL as a midsize truck, and it does everything I need. Tow's my boat , hauls stuff and rides pretty darn nice. I was chatting with the wife when we were on vacation and she saw her first Gladiator. She knows me as a jeep guy, I generally do not go a year or 2 without one and she likes them too.

Her comment was why not get rid of the jk and RL in a year or 2 and pick up a Gladiator it should do everything you need. And to lessen some of the maintenance/ burden of owning 2 older vehicles. I must admit I've almost always had a 2nd vehicle because I've almost always rocked a 10yr old+ vehicle. And I will most likely have some sort of project vehicle on the side..

Is anyone else in this position ? It' almost like the JT was built for people like me??

I would be either doing a Sport S, with the cold weather group, 7" stereo and max tow or depending on the deal I could get a Rubi/Mojav.

Thanks,

bob

1598525579342.png

Yogi "53

First Name
Vern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GladiatorMojave,x7,330ci,530,66vette,74vette,75TA
Occupation
self employed
I sold my 21016 Silverado and my 2011 Wangler and purchased a Gladiator Mojave. . . . . Need a truck but have always had a Jeep. . . . The Gladiator is the perfect vehicle . . . .

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I was looking at a Canyon/Colorado as an alternative to the JT and keeping the JK. How was the Chevy? I really like the ZR1 package as it reminds me of my old Avalanche.
I had a 2wd Canyon. HP and speed were great, along with overall fit and finish(but the fit and finish on the Gladiator is very comparable). My Gladiator rides WAY better, isn’t tail happy in the rain, is 4wd, is a Jeep, much better aftermarket support, is a Jeep...

Overall, I would not go with another truck other than the Jeep, unless I needed to do serious truck work with it. (Heavy hauling/towing)

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also vertically challenged and it is nice to have a truck i can reach over the side of the bed without standing on the tire.
You can fix that with bigger tires and a lift. I too suffer from the same affliction though.

:LOL:

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
A 2dr Jeep will do things and go places you cannot go in a 4dr, let alone a JT. Sounds like your JK suits you to your toes. I can't see ever letting my YJ go, rust free California is good to old Jeeps.

The JTR has been way better than I expected over the last 5000 miles, does many things well and yet is still very much a Jeep. I can't see going past 6+ rated trails in it, though, and 8's are the limit for my skills in the YJ.

I like driving to the Famer's Market in a Jeep, and it's almost always the YJ. It's in the parking lot of a mall, perfect place for an old Jeep!

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I inherited a 2006 Honda Pilot that I daily drove along with my not always reliable 2003 TJ Rubicon. I owned a '94 4WD Ford Ranger prior to buying the 2003 TJ Rubicon. I always missed not having a pickup after selling the Ranger, and now with my Gladiator, I can take care of projects around the house, go 'wheeling in the mountains or desert and enjoy the comfort of the Rubicon package. 15k miles and I'm so happy with my Gladiator.

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Hey all,

A little background to go with that question.. I have a low mileage 2 door rust free JK and a hi-mileage honda Ridgeline that runs flawlessly. I traded in my ram and sold my hemi jku. To get my wife a new vehicle and clear up some bills. I could not be happier with my 07 jk with 4.10 and 33's . Its fun to drive , It's a mall crawler and my summer convertible. I need the RL as a midsize truck, and it does everything I need. Tow's my boat , hauls stuff and rides pretty darn nice. I was chatting with the wife when we were on vacation and she saw her first Gladiator. She knows me as a jeep guy, I generally do not go a year or 2 without one and she likes them too.

Her comment was why not get rid of the jk and RL in a year or 2 and pick up a Gladiator it should do everything you need. And to lessen some of the maintenance/ burden of owning 2 older vehicles. I must admit I've almost always had a 2nd vehicle because I've almost always rocked a 10yr old+ vehicle. And I will most likely have some sort of project vehicle on the side..

Is anyone else in this position ? It' almost like the JT was built for people like me??

I would be either doing a Sport S, with the cold weather group, 7" stereo and max tow or depending on the deal I could get a Rubi/Mojav.

Thanks,

bob

1598525579342.png
I came from a 2014 2 door jk and was blown away at how nice the jl/jt's are in terms of upgrades over the jk. I suggest you go test drive a Gladiator like we did. The wife preferred the size of the unlimited but everyone has one of those and like another poster said, its a truck and jeep! Iam getting 17.5-20 mpg's city/highway on 35's and 3.73 gears and the 8 speed. The dana 44 axles are pretty beefy on ALL gladiators. Axle tube thickness is .390". I could go on and on.

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Sold my JK and my Silverado and got my Max Tow JT. Tows my camper and boat and hauls anything I need to haul—along with my trailer. Could not be happier!

Sponsored

#HuckleberryJeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flowcode.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 5.7 Hemi, '21 JLUR 392, '84 CJ7, '69 CJ5
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Realtor
Easy decision for me.

I didn't need a heavy, workhouse truck anymore, but still need a bed, so the transition from Ford Super Duty and Wrangler to the JT was a no-brainer and saved me a ton of cash.

Mr. Manners

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GC Overland
Occupation
Professional Babysitter
I’m going from a loaded Ram 1500 to a new JT (estimated delivery 9/16). I wanted a Wrangler but need a truck. This is my compromise. I am looking forward to this more than any other vehicle I have considered buying. I figured the cost of having two vehicles, the fact I only have one garage spot for my vehicle and insurance etc., this make more sense.

I wish the Gladiator had more ”tech” options (please don’t add your comments about its a Jeep...) but can live without some of the options the Ram has.

tmcarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Several years ago, my perfect setup was a 3500 Silverado single cab, single rear wheel gasser (deisel added too much weight), Lance 3800# slide-in camper and 22' Bay Boat. Wife and I averaged 66 days a year camping and on the water and we both had full time jobs. Equipment and we got older and slide-in became a chore. Sold slide-in and decided a Class C to tow a Jeep or boat would now be what we need. Bought a new JLUS in '18 (before we bought the Class C). Then found a Jayco Hummingbird 16MRB that the JL could tow. However, I had to keep the 3500, because the boat was too heavy for the JL. Enter 2020 JT. Everything I needed, a drop-top, removable door toy that would tow the camper or the boat. Sold the 3500. JT handles towing like a breeze and the mileage difference in the 3500 is much appreciated. Smaller size, easier to maneuver and I can haul firewood in the bed. For me, right now, zero complaints. (Well, I may have to pay Lowe's to deliver, next time I need 50 sheets of plywood)

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
I went from a F250 crew with an 8 1/2 foot bed to a Chevy 1500 crew 5 1/2 foot bed to the JT. I thought I liked the hauling capacity of the Super Duty. Now I realize a 5’ bed full of mulch is ALL I want to unload at a time. And with a small bed, nobody asks me to pick up crap from Costco for them or wants me to help the move. I’m loving the Gladiator! It does all I ask of it and is fun to drive.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I went resto on an old J series. Best decision ever. Oddly, I miss the old square box Jeep more now that I have an older long bed truck. They go together. So for me, the Jeep/Truck thing is opposite - I'm thinking both is better
Sponsored