Sponsored

Anyone have a JKU and a Gladiator - i am thinking of going back

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
My Dad has the final year JKU, no way I'd go back to that as anything other than a trail only rig. The JT and JL are just so much nicer to live with every day in all aspects.
Sponsored

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 gladiator rubicon
Actually like having both to be honest with you the JKU that I have seems more raw and easier for hitting the trails. I also like the look of the more metal on the body. But really it's just like having a couple different cars. Mine is a 2017 so right near the changeover and bought that when it was new. So I guess if you don't mind buying second hand that's also a consideration since you don't know what they've done to it. The other guys have mentioned the big changes though. The Gladiator is better for daily driving with the better handling and transmission. And also having more modern amenities.
So like I said I'd rather have one of each. But wouldn't ever trade out a gladiator for the JK.
When we hit the trails usually the Gladiator gets parked and becomes a home base while the JK gets to hit the obstacles.

Oh and another thing is on my JK I never had to deal with bubbling paint on the hood and hinges....what a pain.

20230304_114419.jpg

20230304_114345.jpg

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Do what makes you happy dude. There is no wrong answer.
I concur with that statement.

I have a JLUR and my JTM.......... I love my JTM better. More function for me needs and the Fox 2.5 shocks from the factory make it ride like a Cadillac compared to my JLUR.

Dick

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Juliet Tango Romeo
Occupation
Living rent free in Bill's head
We've had 1 YJ, 1 TJ, 8 JKU's, 3 JLU's and 3 JT's. I think the current JL/JT's are the best by long margin.

slmcmackin

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I still have my 09 JK with 240,000+ on it as well as my 23 Gladiator Sport. The kids take turns with the JK...

Sponsored

coalcracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2007 2-door Wrangler X
Itā€™s up to you. Do what makes you happy!

I kept my ā€˜07 JK and I bought a ā€˜21 JTR back in January. I still enjoy driving the JK around town and occasionally take it out on the trail, but the JTR is pretty much better for me in every other way. If I got into a situation where I couldnā€™t keep both and had to choose between the two of them (and as much as it pains me to say this as I love the JK), Iā€™d choose the JTR.

13A5S5W

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Military
I have a 2012 JKU Rubicon and a 2022 JT Rubicon. In my experience it seems the JKU shifts better and has more power at lower RPMs and the JT has a better overall ride but the shifting points suck and seems to have less power. The JT is definitely more luxurious with all the bells and whistles that are available now, compared to the trim packages available for the JKUs.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Everyone,

I picked up a 20' Gladiator overland for a trip with an airstream i did this summer. It did pretty well and on trips is great - its got lots of bells and whistles and the truck bed is handy but daily driving it now i keep having this itch to get another JKU. Crazy? The gladiator is much more luxurious than the JKU i had and the build quality seems higher, but the width on country roads and the length and breakover angle are useful but annoying at times. Anyone still have a JKU - am i romantically looking back or did the JT/JL become a bit bloated and less nimble? I feel like i am driving a cadillac sometimes.

Thank you all!
You are comparing a truck with truck rear suspension and extra length to a JKU?
Different generations - the JLU and the JT match pretty closely - depending on the level you choose.
You'd compare a JLU Sahara to a JT Overland, for example. You'd compare a JLU Rubicon to a JT Rubicon.

As far as the JT/JL "becoming less nimble" - the JT is LONGER and is a truck so of course it's less nimble than a JL or JK.
But the JLU would see to me to be just as nimble as any like-for-like comparison with prior Jeeps.
You are comparing truck with long frame and RAM rear suspension (because it IS a truck) to a prior generation Wrangler. Seems unfair to me.
I'd bet my wife's JLU Rubicon could go any place a similarly equipped JKU could go but I'd be killed for taking HER Jeep out in the rough and trails.

Sponsored

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Actually like having both to be honest with you the JKU that I have seems more raw and easier for hitting the trails. I also like the look of the more metal on the body. But really it's just like having a couple different cars. Mine is a 2017 so right near the changeover and bought that when it was new. So I guess if you don't mind buying second hand that's also a consideration since you don't know what they've done to it. The other guys have mentioned the big changes though. The Gladiator is better for daily driving with the better handling and transmission. And also having more modern amenities.
So like I said I'd rather have one of each. But wouldn't ever trade out a gladiator for the JK.
When we hit the trails usually the Gladiator gets parked and becomes a home base while the JK gets to hit the obstacles.

Oh and another thing is on my JK I never had to deal with bubbling paint on the hood and hinges....what a pain.

Jeep Gladiator Anyone have a JKU and a Gladiator - i am thinking of going back 20230304_114345

Jeep Gladiator Anyone have a JKU and a Gladiator - i am thinking of going back 20230304_114345
South west Nevada?

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
As others have mentioned, do whatcha like. But I have to ask, you've had the JK and moved onto a JT for a reason. Do you really want to date your ex-wife? :beer: :LOL:

Bantam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Iā€™ve grown too attached to the bed to go back. Loved my JKU, it treated me well, but this JT is just an overall better fit for me - Extra emphasis on those last 2 words.

OP
OP

Compton

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Thanks to everyone for input - i have had jeeps from cjs on up. I guess the bigger (wider)and more comfortable they get i start looking back at older models longingly. I think i need to drive a JLU and a JKU again. I actually went JKU to xterra pro4x and JT overland.

OP
OP

Compton

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
As others have mentioned, do whatcha like. But I have to ask, you've had the JK and moved onto a JT for a reason. Do you really want to date your ex-wife? :beer: :LOL:
I don't want to date my soon to be ex wife but i sometimes miss a girlfriend i had! I got rid of the JKU as i moved overseas, got a pro4x xterra i love and bought the gladiator recently but miss my JKU - cruder yes but maybe more character.
Sponsored