Sponsored

Thule Xsporter Pro?

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
I looked over this thread before I bought a rack. I tow a 20' travel trailer and I wanted the rack to be above my cab so my 8' and 10' Kayaks I carry didn't extend past my tailgate towards the trailer behind. I decided to go with the Xsporter Pro. I ordered the XK48 Xsporter Pro Adapters to mount to the cargo rail system inside the Gladiator bed. I saw the bit about modifying the feet, but after playing with it for a few hours I decided to return the adpators and use the C-Clamps that came with base rack package.
The alterations I had to make were:
1. Take off the two cargo rails from each side of the truck bed.
2. Drill a 3/8" hole through the bottom chord of both cargo rails at 10-3/8" from the front end.
3. Drill a 3/8" hole through the bottom chord of both cargo rails at 17-1/2" from the front end.
4. Drill a 3/8" hole through the bottom chord of both cargo rails at 29-5/16" from the front end.
5. Drill a 3/8" hole through the bottom chord of both cargo rails at 36-9/16" from the front end.
6. Reinstall both cargo rails to the truck bed.
7. The C-Clamps wouldn't fit (shims were too thick) using the Rubber Shims (Part P from the Thule directions) under the Base Assembly (Part E from the Thule directions), so I bought 1/8" thick by 4" wide neopreme rubber strip grade 65A from Amazon for $19.00 and cut them to match the same size of the stock model with an exacto knife.
8. I then placed the Base Assembly over the 1/8" rubber shim I built and slipped the (2) C-Clamps on each. The bottom of the C-Clamp slips inside of the cargo rail. I then pushed the 3" button head cap screws throught the holes I drilled in the bottom sides of the rails and turned them into the C-Clamps factory treaded hole in the center of the clamps.
9. Before I cranked these tight, I took the factory shims that were too thick and cut them into 10-1/4" by 1-9/16" pieces.
10. I sprayed both side of the rubber lightly with WD-40 and slipped them into the space above the top of the cargo rail and the bottom of the factory plastic bed rail cap. This acted as a washer to keep these two surfaces from squeezing together and warping when I tightened the cap screws down with a ratchet and hex tip from below.
11. I cut the crossbars down to 63" which is about the width of the cab.

The Thule system is definantly not cheap but niether is the Gladiator. It took more time then Thule stock parts to mount to the Jeep cargo rail system but in June thiis wasn't an option (still dont know if it is). The other parts I used to mount the Kayaks were : Thule 834 Hull-a-Port J style & Hull-a-Port T-Track Adaptor KIT. Theres no wind noise from the rack (empty or loaded with kayaks) with or without my trailer in tow. I'm very happy with it and I'm glad I bought the adjustable model.

001 Cargo Rail Removed.jpg

002 Drilling Cargo Rail.jpg

003 Cargo Rail with holes drilled.jpg

004 Cargo Rail with clamp.jpg

005 .125in thick rubber shim.jpg

006 Driver Side installed.jpg

007 Passenger Side installed.jpg

008 Tightening C Clamps.jpg

009 Complete Install.jpg

View attachment 34787

View attachment 34788
Wow, kudos for getting it on there. However, that's way more work than modifying the feet for the trail rail setup. With an angle grinder it took about 30 seconds per foot (they're aluminum and cut really easily) and no modifications needed to the truck. That plus you can still adjust the bar spacing if you want.
Sponsored

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Updating with my experience with the Thule Xsporter Pro.
I bought I set of these off Craigslist and they installed with the standard clamps without issue as indicated elsewhere in this thread.
My Gladiator did not come with the Bed rails from the factory but I purchased the BuiltRight "Jeep Gladiator Utility Rail System"
As noted in the thread the standard clamps do not fit with the rails without modifications.

I ordered from Amazon: "Thule Xsporter Pro Adapter XK4" clamps. (note there is a similar looking to the XK3 version that will not fit)
Using the BuiltRight rails I did not have to make any changes to the clamps and they installed without issue. (No grinding was required)

As noted the front will not adjust all the way into the bed. The pictures attached are at the lowest level possible "19" but the cross beam is below the roof level of the cab. They will go high enough to support loading a ladder or kayak over the cab.

Thule1.jpg

Thule2.jpg

Thule3.jpg

Thule4.jpg

JustScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Unlimited Sahara
Hey everyone. I bought the xsporter and it will be here next week. Do i need to have the trail rails system? I didnt get them with my sahara. Thanks so much!

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Hey everyone. I bought the xsporter and it will be here next week. Do i need to have the trail rails system? I didnt get them with my sahara. Thanks so much!
Sahara? There is no Sahara Gladiator. IF you have a Gladiator without the Trail Rail system you should be fine. The standard kit works on most truck beds out of the box. You need to purchase something additional if you have the Trail Rail or similar system like on the Tacoma.

Sponsored

JustScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Unlimited Sahara
Sahara? There is no Sahara Gladiator. IF you have a Gladiator without the Trail Rail system you should be fine. The standard kit works on most truck beds out of the box. You need to purchase something additional if you have the Trail Rail or similar system like on the Tacoma.
Definitely meant Overland btw.

RiderDad27

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Another xsporter pro install.
I’m working on putting the bed rail back with the xk4 bracket.
Also I will me modifying the bed cover to have it open and close with the bed rack on.
Now you can have the stock cover installed and just keep the xsporter adapter tied to the bed!
Jeep Gladiator Thule Xsporter Pro? 1B8D6B96-7D5E-4832-ACE3-740EEEC1FB0C
Jeep Gladiator Thule Xsporter Pro? 0B7648C2-E669-4AF5-9CB7-00DF0589CAAE
Sponsored