Sponsored

Torque spec 8 roof bolts (the T50 bolts)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What's the torque spec for the 8 torx bolts that hold the top/roof on the JT?
I can't believe it's "tighten until it quits moving" when this top is not even a metal of any sort - it's more like plastic or fiberglass or resin.
When you have gaskets and seals involved, if you tighten down too much you distort things - you squish out the gasket and warp mounting points.
Not tight enough and then you have other issues - leaks, rattles, moving/shifting/wearing parts.

Jeep in Ohio must have had some spec they told employees to apply to those - any ideas?
Sponsored

Nuttall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR ,2023 Grand Cherokee ,2011 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Construction
Looks like the owner’s manual says about 13 ft-lb. Seems to be just over hand tight.
Jeep Gladiator Torque spec 8 roof bolts (the T50 bolts) D6C7A05B-885B-4A97-8959-0878BD8939C2

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S “sold”, 2022 JTR
Occupation
Gov
Going to have to check mine out for sure. My top has began creaking an awful lot this past month or so, figured it was these 110+ heat index days we are having everyday....

I removed it once and that was to install the Hotheads back in Feb/March timeframe.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have the PDF copy of the manual and looked but OBVIOUSLY, I missed that entry. Didn't feel like digging out the print version that came with the truck as I figured if I didn't find it in the PDF - then the print version, a rev older, wouldn't be better. Guess that was wrong, too!
OK, thanks - I'll get out my inch/lb wrench. Out to the shop to get my torque wrench, back to the garage to finish putting it back together.
My winch and lift setup worked great - piece of cake lowering it back down while I held one corner to make sure things lined up. Took seconds to have the top sitting back in place.

I hear ya on the 100+ degree days - we're looking at a couple of days even worse than the last two weeks. The last couple of weeks just standing in the garage arranging things sweat was rolling into my eyes - a gallon of tea in a day. And I don't sweat easily. Drought here - grass burning up.
One reason the top is going back on - 95 degrees with humidity to match, not a fun drive.

Nuttall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR ,2023 Grand Cherokee ,2011 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Construction
I had honestly never thought about what the actual torque should have been until I read your post and looked it up.

It's a great point about possible leaks and or damage if done incorrectly, especially over time. Going to pull out my torque wrench as well to get an actual feel on how tight they should be!

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I know when I removed them I thought - these are pretty tight...... and putting them back, it's pretty tight, but then they give a huge +/- 22 inch/lbs.

Lest anyone think I was joking, I did pull out my Snap-On inch/pound torque wrench ;-)
It's a necessity when doing transmission and certain other work. I think it's time for calibration, though, or else my hands need re-calibrating. I used to be able to tighten certain things and others would check me with a torque wrench and I was usually pretty darned close. These days, not so much.

Jeep Gladiator Torque spec 8 roof bolts (the T50 bolts) 20200718_104343
Sponsored