First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Which rock sliders are you replacing the stock rails with?
I put on LoD rock slider steps but I didn't realize that I didn't need to take these bolts loose until it was too late.:facepalm:
So now I'd prefer to just tighten the few turns it has left and never touch it again. But it's really difficult to tighten or loosen. I'm not a pussy either. The nut/wing whatever I think is fine but I think the threads are just trashed.
Jeep Gladiator Body mount bolts 20210502_095528
Sponsored

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator-Willys /18 Wrangler JLU-Rubicon
The bolts are coated steel, not aluminum. I turned out all 6 of my body mount bolts with a ratchet, greased the threads of the replacement bolts so I would not have to contend with residual loctite on the threads of the nuts.
are they? Weird coating, never seen any steel like the ones on my 18 JL. That thing snapped and it was light as a feather and looked odd inside. I wonder what they actually are. I replaced with a steel bolt and it was at least a third heavier. But hey maybe you know more than I do about it.

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put on LoD rock slider steps but I didn't realize that I didn't need to take these bolts loose until it was too late.:facepalm:
So now I'd prefer to just tighten the few turns it has left and never touch it again. But it's really difficult to tighten or loosen. I'm not a pussy either. The nut/wing whatever I think is fine but I think the threads are just trashed.
nice truck.

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took out a total of 3 body bolts but this 4th one is f'd. I did the tighten/loosen deal with it and it just isn't right. It's close to the top but no way on earth I'll get it out without snapping it off. I think it was cross threaded from the factory. I only need 1 full turn or less and it will be where it started. It's just loose enough for that body washer (orwhatever it is) to rattle a touch.
DO IT! chicken... :) Just kidding, try having a shop do it maybe.

Sponsored

Lod Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
That there is a good looking truck! :like:

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
20210502_095528.jpg
I don't want to ruin your day but it looks like you have them on the wrong sides. The bigger step opening should be on the fronts to match the larger door opening...see the LOD pics for this. Not sure if this is contributing to your problem

1620063156865.png

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I don't want to ruin your day but it looks like you have them on the wrong sides. The bigger step opening should be on the fronts to match the larger door opening...see the LOD pics for this. Not sure if this is contributing to your problem

1620063156865.png
Lol
I think you are right. Luckily I think I can swap them easy tomorrow. Stubby ratchet wrench for the win.
:facepalm::CWL:

Ridgeline

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Intellectual Property Attorney
It's not broken but I cant tighten it back, it is very difficult to spin.
My right rear bolt required over 100 ft-lbs of torque to turn with over an inch of thread still exposed..... I just could not figure out the logic of that that was happen. Perhaps a cross-thread. I stayed with it and it eventually seated. Never in my wildest dreams did I image pulling and pushing six bolts would take two hours and leave me sore the next day... :LOL:

Sponsored

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
My right rear bolt required over 100 ft-lbs of torque to turn with over an inch of thread still exposed..... I just could not figure out the logic of that that was happen. Perhaps a cross-thread. I stayed with it and it eventually seated. Never in my wildest dreams did I image pulling and pushing six bolts would take two hours and leave me sore the next day... :LOL:
I finally got that front one tight today. I kept putting it off for fear I'd just get mad and break it. It got really tight then loosened way up, I figured I broke whatever was inside. It went from can barely turn it to being able to use one finger. Then it just snugged up like normal and I'll never touch the dammed thing again.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
The body nuts are tack welded on. There are many here in the first run of Gladiators that had these nuts break loose. Some got it covered under warranty because the nuts should be welded on more secure and should not break free because of the red locktite. If you have found that a nut has broken free, you should try to get it covered under warranty. If you search through this forum from 2019, 2020, you will see people with this problem.
And 2022
Sponsored