Poll: If you removed body bolts did any break

Body Bolts, If you removed some and they did or did not break

• Total voters

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I cheated and used a Induction Heater. Came out with little fuss.

20201109_172858.jpg

20201109_131914.jpg
Did you heat them all and for how long on each?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I heated them all, each for about 30 seconds. They get hot quick.
I'll bet they did.
It reminds me of a school science demonstration where an aluminum ring was placed on an electro-magnet and a momentary switch was literally just pressed and released. The ring shot into the air was was so hot it couldn't be touched or picked up.
That form of heating is efficient as heck, fast.

I need to get one of those heaters as I run into stuck pole shoe screws constantly in my restoration business. Sometimes I drill things out but what a waste - and the time it takes.

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
I wanted to report that I installed the sliders without breaking any(I just voted). I used my ratchet and a pipe helper. The retaining clips that hold the bolts after they are unthreaded suck cause they cause frustration reinstalling a new bolt. I pulled one out along with a bolt. On my 2021 the front bolts are red Loctited, rear blue, middle didn't seem to have any. The bolt that gave me a fight was the middle drivers side, as it seemed bound up the entire way. Front drivers was easiest.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I watched the ACE Engineering video and bought a much bigger breaker bar from Harbor Freight. It was well worth it, leverage is good. That, and tightening back up to clear the threads.

Sponsored

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I removed and reinstalled without a breaker bar but patience. Some of them took forever to go out and back in as it fells like they are just hanging midway. I have 8 months now with the ACE sliders and everything is tight and quiet. I only used hand powered tools

teamblkdog

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
christykintzel.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Alu-Cab Canopy Camper
Occupation
visual designer
I wanted to report that I installed the sliders without breaking any(I just voted). I used my ratchet and a pipe helper. The retaining clips that hold the bolts after they are unthreaded suck cause they cause frustration reinstalling a new bolt. I pulled one out along with a bolt. On my 2021 the front bolts are red Loctited, rear blue, middle didn't seem to have any. The bolt that gave me a fight was the middle drivers side, as it seemed bound up the entire way. Front drivers was easiest.
How did you resolve getting the bolt threaded past the retaining clips? I'm having trouble with this as well, on the middle bolts on each side, driver/passenger. Sigh.

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
How did you resolve getting the bolt threaded past the retaining clips? I'm having trouble with this as well, on the middle bolts on each side, driver/passenger. Sigh.
Well I think the alignment was slightly off on the slider. I tried loosing the other ones and then went back to that one. On one side I gave up with new bolts and reinstalled a factory bolt as it has a tapered end. Also use a shallow socket so as to be able to push upward on bolt pretty hard.

Edit: I know it's too late really as you must have it nearly on but seems like on at least one hole it would be easy to reach up in there with needlenose pliers and pull it out. Seems the front(?) has a puck spacer that can be removed allowing you to do that.

teamblkdog

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
christykintzel.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Alu-Cab Canopy Camper
Occupation
visual designer
Well I think the alignment was slightly off on the slider. I tried loosing the other ones and then went back to that one. On one side I gave up with new bolts and reinstalled a factory bolt as it has a tapered end. Also use a shallow socket so as to be able to push upward on bolt pretty hard.

Edit: I know it's too late really as you must have it nearly on but seems like on at least one hole it would be easy to reach up in there with needlenose pliers and pull it out. Seems the front(?) has a puck spacer that can be removed allowing you to do that.
Thanks, I'll keep trying. Mine are the center bolts, and I can see up through the hole that something is loose and not cooperating up there. I can poke a screwdriver up and move it around, just having trouble getting the bolt past it into the nut.

Sponsored

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
It’s a thin little Metal clip. Reach up there with some needle nose pliers and jerk it out.

Mitoni

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Developer
I watched the ACE Engineering video and bought a much bigger breaker bar from Harbor Freight. It was well worth it, leverage is good. That, and tightening back up to clear the threads.
I think I am gonna do the same. Tried it with my 1/2" breaker bar with a 3" extension, and i was putting almost my full weight into pulling it (feet against my front tire) and it didn't budge more than an turn or so. I need a longer bar, or a piece of 3/4" galvanized pipe for an extension.
Sponsored