Sponsored

Who hasn't removed their door bolts yet, and why?

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ford bronco, 2020 jeep gladiator overland
Occupation
Retired C-141/C-130 FE. now, 9th grade math instr
i will chime in to this and say that i have taken the doors off and the roof off and played on the beach with it as well as the jeep plant in Toledo

Jeep Gladiator Who hasn't removed their door bolts yet, and why? 20200714_155213

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Hmmm - does it specify WHERE they must be "affixed" ?
Can you strap them onto the hood, or in the back, or onto the roll cage? They'd still be affixed, right?
Now that’s an American response to a Canadian problem if I’ve ever heard one. Our rebellious spirit kicks ass lol

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Have you considered that 95% of Jeep vehicles don’t every even see an unpaved road?
To be fair I took my doors off first weekend, never left the road either. Loved the experience.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
They do. It’s called any other SUV.
Really? FANTASTIC!
Quick, point me toward the one that has solid axles, factory lockers rear and front, and can fit 35" tires without any mods.

I'll wait...

Sheesh... People who think the main reason to buy a Wrangler/JT is "removable doors"... :CWL:

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Hmmm - does it specify WHERE they must be "affixed" ?
Can you strap them onto the hood, or in the back, or onto the roll cage? They'd still be affixed, right?
Lol...well, my wording was not accurate. Here's the actual bulletin:

Jeep Gladiator Who hasn't removed their door bolts yet, and why? Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 6.29.16 PM

Such a dumb nanny-state rule. :mad::headbang:

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I had planned to finally take my doors off this week and next but of course the weather had to turn crappy and expecting a good bit of rain every day till the end of the weekend. Maybe next week if the rain passes

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Lol...well, my wording was not accurate. Here's the actual bulletin:

Jeep Gladiator Who hasn't removed their door bolts yet, and why? Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 6.29.16 PM

Such a dumb nanny-state rule. :mad::headbang:
That bit about any any hinge, latch or handle.... would take half the cars in Iowa off the road!
Broken door handles, mirrors dangling by the wires or cables, hinge pins word to the point of being only half there, you name it.

J-GriffsGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Geologist
I haven't only because toddlers in the rear and I'm vain (just front doors off looks silly IMO). This is my 5th jeep and I always took doors (+ top) off during the summer. Love the freedom panels though. So easy to remove and place in that padded carrier in the bed.

PS you guys who don't take the top off are crazy. Such a fun drive (assuming you don't live in a hot, humid fly over state of course). You're missing out!

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
I have no plans to remove the doors, or back piece. I only remove the freedom panels.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Had the top off a few times but have not removed the doors yet. I have however loosened the door pins and tightened them back up. About every oil change I do this because a buddy of mine didn't remove his doors for about 4yrs on his Jk and had a Heck of a time getting the pins loose once he tried to take them off. They will seize up over time if they aren't loosened. I suggest if you plan on dropping the windshield ever to do the same to those pins as well.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
On my last Jeep, I went a pretty extended period of time without removing the doors again because I thought it would be a great idea to spray white lithium grease into the hinges before putting the doors back on.

While it did a great job of keeping everything moving, it was a giant mess. I kept thinking if I threw enough mud on the side of the rig and washed it off enough, it'd clean up. I was wrong.
Bel-Ray makes salt water proof grease that lubes most excellently, lasts forever and can be used sparingly. Control levers' pivot bolts on all of the motorcycles here love it.

Gobistick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landrover 110 and Gladiator Sport S
I was pulled over once in British Columbia while driving my 1987 YJ. This was sometime around 1990 and before the bulletin posted in this thread. The RCMP cop was going to give me a "no door" ticket even back then. I pointed out to the cop the sticker from the factory that read something to the effect of "Caution-doors on this vehicle are not intended to protect occupants in the event of an accident". He was confused about what to do. After some discussion with me and with someone on his car radio, he decided to let me go. Jeep's sticker saved me that day, thanks Jeep. Obviously Jeep lawyers were just trying to cover their corporate asses but in those days it worked as a nice loophole for me.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I was pulled over once in British Columbia while driving my 1987 YJ. This was sometime around 1990 and before the bulletin posted in this thread. The RCMP cop was going to give me a "no door" ticket even back then. I pointed out to the cop the sticker from the factory that read something to the effect of "Caution-doors on this vehicle are not intended to protect occupants in the event of an accident". He was confused about what to do. After some discussion with me and with someone on his car radio, he decided to let me go. Jeep's sticker saved me that day, thanks Jeep. Obviously Jeep lawyers were just trying to cover their corporate asses but in those days it worked as a nice loophole for me.
Nice! I know there have been a lot of people using that sticker as a reason to argue that the law is stupid. Sadly, it doesn’t work...most officers will not bother pulling you over unless you are doing something else illegal, but all it takes is that one cop who is having a bad day or is still trying to impress their supervisor.
Sponsored