Sponsored

Tow package and Max tow package are NOT the same!

Brraaapp

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Hvac
Suspension - springs
Unsprung weight - Sport S is lighter as it has lighter tires/wheels, no skid plates, etc. This allows it to tow more as the alternator, cooling, gears, and axles are the same. More weight = engine working harder to begin with.

At the end of the day, you need to come to terms that the Rubi will not tow as much as a Sport S Max Tow. It's that simple I do not understand why this is something to argue about. If you're just confused, i get it. But thats just how it is.

@ShadowsPapa is completely correct in what he has been saying this entire thread. Although the Rubi comes with MOST of what the max tow package has, the weight and spring difference are what make up the additional capacity of the Sport S.
no not arguing just confused, I thought that if you didn’t have max tow there were key identifiers like having a standard alt and smaller fan
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
no not arguing just confused, I thought that if you didn’t have max tow there were key identifiers like having a standard alt and smaller fan
There are three alternators - 180, 220 and 240.
Towing package and max tow get the 240 IF I recall correctly. I believe Overland without towing gets the 220. (due to the other electric options for the Overland)
Base Sport gets 180. Certain options get the 220 - I'd have to look now, my books and folders are in the house, I'm outside trying to make more space in the garage.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
When I was looking on dealers' lots to buy a JT, I searched out the max tow Sports by checking the fender flares for the added lip.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We were at the Ankeny Jeep dealership this AM waiting on my wife's GC to get the whole nav/radio unit replaced.
I went out and looked at all of the JTs they had in stock.
Every single one of them, all 8, were SPORT with "tow package". All of them. Not a single Rubicon, not a single Overland, nothing with max tow.
The only one that was very different had 35" tires, aftermarket wheels and a MOPAR 2" lift.
Also every one of them had something about theft assurance or whatever on them - in short, there was a big sticker on the windshield that indicated the dealer installed that GPS dongle so they could sell you theft prevention.
So if you want anything other than a Sport with the basic tow package, they'd have to order it for you.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Typically, dealers are almost clueless about HD options. They know bling sells but to them any towing option is the same as any other. Few buyers understand, and salesmen are quick to assure them that the koolaid is correct.

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
For me, the max tow option is amazing and a great way to get heavy duty stuff at a low price. As I was shopping, I raced through the lots looking at the fenders, knowing that only the model and option I sought would have them.

Reactions: Mac
OP
OP
GreenMountainBillyGoat

GreenMountainBillyGoat

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.VermontBackcountryCottages.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
goat roper
You will be maxed out quick with the weight of the JD plus implement.

What are you going to do for a brake controller?
[Quickly looks up brake controller.] I hadn't got there yet...

OP
OP
GreenMountainBillyGoat

GreenMountainBillyGoat

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.VermontBackcountryCottages.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
goat roper
I can understand why it would be sickening to expect the higher capacity and get something less. I would definitely see what the dealer can do to help. You never know 'till you ask.

That said, it sounds like you're pretty close to your capacity. That capacity should take into account driving up and down hills, mountains, curves, highway speeds, etc., all for extended amounts of time. Driving a few miles down a country road just a few times a year wouldn't concern me all that much, even if you're at your maximum capacity.

Don't take this to mean I condone exceding the capacity - I don't like getting even close to it because I sometimes tow a trailer across several states. What it sounds like to me is that it's possible that you'd be right on the capacity, and a few easy miles just a few times a year at capacity should be okay. I wouldn't take it out on the highway for a trip, but that doesn't sound at all like what your intent is.
I just need to be able to tow about 7 miles...but there is a big hill to go up.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Towing capacity is well known and defined on these and found in the owners manual, Jeep dot com, and their sales brochures.

This is found in the OWNER MANUAL, this is from my own owner manual -
Jeep Gladiator Tow package and Max tow package are NOT the same! 1641861648249

Jeep Gladiator Tow package and Max tow package are NOT the same! 1641861690729
Sponsored