Trail damage... Issue or non-issue?

NJKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Hey all, I was out yesterday and coming out of a water crossing I slid out of my line. Unfortunately, nailed a boulder at the peak. Should have gotten control arm bracket skid plates but hindsight’s 20/20.

Regardless, look at this pics and let me know what you think please. Drove the Jeep home at 80mph no problem with wandering, vibrations or anything.

Jeep Gladiator Trail damage... Issue or non-issue? C004937C-3DAC-4C82-A94E-A8EEAF50764C

Jeep Gladiator Trail damage... Issue or non-issue? 88F4D6E1-401F-4CA6-BCFF-9ED392F6E39C

Jeep Gladiator Trail damage... Issue or non-issue? 3703D9EF-750F-43D5-9AA2-847D38C582BD

Jeep Gladiator Trail damage... Issue or non-issue? D56E8A57-0AF1-41B4-B1F4-7F5C588FEF58

Jeep Gladiator Trail damage... Issue or non-issue? 836C3341-CBD0-4FFD-BB83-BB6164FCBBCB
Sponsored

Last edited:

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
Ah a little black spray paint and it will look good as new and it doesn’t look like anything is broke jeeps are made for that stuff

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
It bashed the reinforcement pretty good, but the integrity and arm position look solid. Probably felt like the Boulder was coming through the floor! Would have scared the crap out of me!

I think you are fine, but you will know for sure the next time you get it aligned. I would proceed with the knowledge that your Jeep earned some trail rash and shrugged it off.

OP
OP
NJKen

NJKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Probably felt like the Boulder was coming through the floor! Would have scared the crap out of me!
I have a video and I hear myself say "ouch," it was really loud. I wasn't going fast since I was in 4L but after watching I also misjudged the break-over angle.

Battle scars

Edit: I think this is where it happened...

Last edited:

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I have a video and I hear myself say "ouch," it was really loud. I wasn't going fast since I was in 4L but after watching I also misjudged the break-over angle.

Battle scars
You can also put on these Control arm sliders from Rusty's offroad. They will hide the damage and also provide future protection. Note: The front hole did not line up with the stock bracket, so, I had to oblong the front hole on the slider. Here are some pics.

Jeep Gladiator Trail damage... Issue or non-issue? 1afrzG

Jeep Gladiator Trail damage... Issue or non-issue? h5uFas

Jeep Gladiator Trail damage... Issue or non-issue? I60RNu

Jeep Gladiator Trail damage... Issue or non-issue? 0CNct3

Sponsored

OP
OP
NJKen

NJKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can also put on these Control arm sliders from Rusty's offroad. They will hide the damage and also provide future protection. Note: The front hole did not line up with the stock bracket, so, I had to oblong the front hole on the slider.
Great idea, thank you gonna order them now!

BrightWhiteGladiator

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing - Planning & Research

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Great idea, thank you gonna order them now!
Yea, in your video, you could see it coming.... Now you know.. Next time, turn right or left and go over the top more sideways --- this will really help the break over angle.

Regarding the sliders..., it is not that easy to oblong that one hole. Most people just mount the other bolts and drill the bracket hole out to match the off center hole in the slider.... I did not want to do that because if I ever took the slider off, you would see an oblong hole in the bracket... Either way, it is going to work... good luck with your install.

Rebornfungus

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know of anything similar for the front side on the frame mount? I already have the lowers/shock mount well protected with the Rock Hard and ordering the Rusty’s for the rear.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Yes, Rock Hard Engineering skids for the rest of the control arms and shocks. Rusty's for the rear frame control arm. Here is a link of my installation.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...belly-while-off-road-lifted.31324/post-522893
Those are great, but there’s nothing out there yet that I know of for the front frame-side lower control arm brackets. I’ve bent and cracked one of mine and had to have it welded back. The shape of the brackets is going to make it hard to just slap on a skid plate. Maybe one day I’ll go long-arm and just remove them.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Those are great, but there’s nothing out there yet that I know of for the front frame-side lower control arm brackets. I’ve bent and cracked one of mine and had to have it welded back. The shape of the brackets is going to make it hard to just slap on a skid plate. Maybe one day I’ll go long-arm and just remove them.
Ok, I get it. Can you imagine if you had those drop brackets people are using now ? You would have destroyed them... lol..

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Ok, I get it. Can you imagine if you had those drop brackets people are using now ? You would have destroyed them... lol..
Yes, and that’s why I wouldn’t run them. If I had a Jeep which was almost 100% on road and never saw rocks, I might consider them.

Rebornfungus

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. I already have the rockhards on the front and back they shared. This weekend I racked my driver front frame side pretty good. misshaped it and ripped some steal off. no crack - whew. hopefully I can avoid next time. I know what I did, came down too fast over a boulder. still, I like the insurance and peace of mind. They are a funky shape. I was hoping at least to find weld-onable ones. Maybe time to create some myself :).
Sponsored