Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave,Range Rover HSE,BMW M3
Occupation
Branding & Design, Online Marketing
Vehicle Showcase
In my search for a canopy/cap for my Jeep Gladiator, I found quite a few different options online (SmartCap looked the nicest, but there were out of stock everywhere and there were some mixed reviews). I even visited a couple showrooms to look at a few of the options in person (Alu-Cab Contour Canopy and Alu-Cab Camper- though I wasn't in the market for a full camper). And every time I saw a truck cap equipped Gladiator parked in a lot somewhere I'd always stop to take a closer look (ARE, Leer, Softopper and Bestop mostly).

My primary considerations when deciding on a cap were:

1. I wanted it to be lightweight - reasonably easy to take off with with a maximum of two people.
  2. I wanted it to be able to carry a decent load on top (i.e. roof top tent, etc.)
  3. I wanted it to look decent, but a little more rugged and modern than flashy and slick
What I ended up buying was what I believe to be an incredible bargain (though I had budgeted for 3X the cost of what I ended up spending). I ended up choosing this Wild Top Truck Cap for my 2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, and I'm quite satisfied.

Here's a link to an overview video I created on the Wild Top Truck Cap:

Sponsored

1stXMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Great choice. I have a Softopper and wish I had load bars. Next stop is probably a Gofast shell for me, but it's tempting to switch to this Wild Top.

LBL Chief

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lamhbatalann.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel Red
Occupation
Martial arts instructor
I'd prefer hard sides and back. What would your choice have been for that?

OP
OP
HNTR

HNTR

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Great choice. I have a Softopper and wish I had load bars. Next stop is probably a Gofast shell for me, but it's tempting to switch to this Wild Top.
I've seen a few different options for exoskeleton type rack systems to go over the top of the soft toppers. And since you have already purchased a cap, that might be a good avenue. But the fact is, the Wild Top will probably be about the same price as an exoskeleton and you might be able to sell the Softopper. I ran to Home Depot today and did 80mph in a 70mph zone on the freeway with all of the sides up safari style. What I really like about this Wild Top is that I can have my dogs in crate in the back, the sides of the canvas up Safari style, and give them some shade and airflow. I freaking love this more and more everyday.
Jeep Gladiator Truck Cap for the Jeep Gladiator IMG_0601

PW45

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Dad, Veteran, Electrical Engineer
gratuitous starbucks coffee mug flash for the PNWers

Sponsored

1stXMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
I've seen a few different options for exoskeleton type rack systems to go over the top of the soft toppers. And since you have already purchased a cap, that might be a good avenue. But the fact is, the Wild Top will probably be about the same price as an exoskeleton and you might be able to sell the Softopper. I ran to Home Depot today and did 80mph in a 70mph zone on the freeway with all of the sides up safari style. What I really like about this Wild Top is that I can have my dogs in crate in the back, the sides of the canvas up Safari style, and give them some shade and airflow. I freaking love this more and more everyday.
Jeep Gladiator Truck Cap for the Jeep Gladiator IMG_0601

Oh you're tempting me. That safari mode looks way cleaner than a Softopper's.

IMG_5862.jpeg

OP
OP
HNTR

HNTR

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'd prefer hard sides and back. What would your choice have been for that?
I had a Leer on an F-150 back in the day, which is a lot like an ATE, and I just didn't like being so married to it. Meaning, if you don't always have it on, you have an upside down boat to deal with. Plus, they are a little outdated looking IMO (large fiberglass caps have been around along time). If I was going with a hard cap, I really like the looks of SmartCap. I probably would have bought one if they were in stock. I looked everywhere for one and couldn't find one. They're quite a bit more money though (around $4k ish), and I've still heard about problems with them leaking at their seals. Alu-Cab and RSI have some decent ones, but I didn't care for the exterior welds on the Alu-Cab Contour when seeing them in person (quality welds, but looked a little funky where they were positioned and exposed). Also, the way the Alu-Cab windows are installed is terrible IMO. No rubber seals, just seamsealer or epoxy caulked around and pressed against the structure. The finish looked like crap, like a messy seamsealer job. Haven't seen the RSI in person, and couldn't quite get with the two tone look. For my needs, I'm quite happy with this Wild Top.

Twizzler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Great video! One thing I see in the instructions on their website is that the problematic front clip is not shown at all. However, the instructions clearly say "Ranger 2.0" in my browser tab but the truck shown is Gladiator. I wonder if they had a design change recently?

ToJTornottoJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1997 Jeep XJ
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser/Broker
I heard that Caravan Campers out of Reno was retooling their Gladiator cap. Caravan Campers makes the caps for the Border Patrol and many other government groups. They are top notch, but their Gladiator design looks terrible.

https://caravancampershells.com/jeep-camper-shell-gallery/

Jeep Gladiator Truck Cap for the Jeep Gladiator 1692631044985

Jeep Gladiator Truck Cap for the Jeep Gladiator 1692631095307
Sponsored