Trying to build lightest wheel/tire set up

Robicon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Just curious... if picking the right lightweight combo of 37 where it’s roughly the same weight as stock, would it be possible to never need the regear from 4.10?

Am looking to get tires and rims soon and ride on them with no lift for a while and hoping to avoid the pricey regear.
Sponsored

adbeck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator JTR
Just curious... if picking the right lightweight combo of 37 where it’s roughly the same weight as stock, would it be possible to never need the regear from 4.10?

Am looking to get tires and rims soon and ride on them with no lift for a while and hoping to avoid the pricey regear.
I’m no expert but I believe the reason for re-gearing is to bring the engine RPMs back to near stock for a given speed. Not specifically due to the weight difference.

Robicon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I’m no expert but I believe the reason for re-gearing is to bring the engine RPMs back to near stock for a given speed. Not specifically due to the weight difference.
Ah that makes more sense haha

So if some owners are struggling to keep it in 8th gear on the highway with 37's and 4.10's... what happens if they manually select 8th? Will it just automatically drop back to 7th?

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Ah that makes more sense haha

So if some owners are struggling to keep it in 8th gear on the highway with 37's and 4.10's... what happens if they manually select 8th? Will it just automatically drop back to 7th?
I really don’t understand why people worry whether it’s in 7th or 8th gear on the highway if it pulls ok otherwise. Whether you’re in 8th gear with 4.88, or 7th gear with 4.10 gears really doesn’t change much other than a little fuel mileage.

Robicon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I really don’t understand why people worry whether it’s in 7th or 8th gear on the highway if it pulls ok otherwise. Whether you’re in 8th gear with 4.88, or 7th gear with 4.10 gears really doesn’t change much other than a little fuel mileage.
Well not sure about others, but I do a lot of highway driving and usually drive across the country every second year or so. That mileage adds up. I know I didn’t get a JT to be fuel efficient... just trying to control it where I can.

Sponsored

GladiatorCruzen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Elevator Superintendent
Good thread. I’m also interested in not increasing unsprung weight by much. Adding a single pound of unsprung weight to a vehicle has the same effect as adding 2-3lbs to the body. I’ve been considering the SCS Wheels option for Jeeps. Only 25lbs. Not sure on tires yet.

Frenzyrider

First Name
Ess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Svc
I really like Method wheels but most are 0 offset. Does anyone know if 313 or 305 will poke? I want minimal poke and also planning to run 35s initially.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Just my opinion but 7 pounds is nothing...get what works...don’t go cheap just to save a minimal amount of weight.

dont overthink it...
Listen to this guy.
It's a freakin' JEEP, not some high-performance, curve-hugging super car where unsprung weight WILL make a difference.
You've been reading too many magazines...

Kevin
Sponsored