Sponsored

Turkey Day Smoker Style

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
15.5 pound bird. Dry brine rub under skin and over skin. One stick of butter cut into pats and laid under skin. Smoked at 180* for 3 hours, turned up to 250* for remainder which was 3 more hours. It came in earlier than I thought.

Jeep Gladiator Turkey Day Smoker Style Bird 2021
Jeep Gladiator Turkey Day Smoker Style Bird 2021 2
Jeep Gladiator Turkey Day Smoker Style Bird 2021 3
Jeep Gladiator Turkey Day Smoker Style Bird 2021 4

I didn't buy the bird, didn't know the wife was buying one, so it wasn't the optimum size and was already injected with salt. So with that said, had to ditch all that gorgeous, delicious skin because it was too salty. The meat is fine and even after resting for 30 minutes the juices were still flowing out of it.
Sponsored

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
We normally do this every year. So Good! Looks great!

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Iam doing a 13.5 pound bird, spatchcocked and brined for 24 hours. I just got it dry and rubbed it with a simple homemade rub and just got done putting it on my kamado drill. Iam using lump charcoal and a chunk of apple wood. I'll cook 2-3 hours at 320-350.

Iam going to try a balsamic fig jam glaze for after it's cut up and plated. You fry some red onion in some olive oil till soft. Then poor in a couple tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. Then add a couple tbsp of fig jam, a teaspoon of concentrated chicken stock and 1/4 cup of water. Simmer until thick and then add tablespoon of butter. It's great to spread like syrup over pork and chicken but I want to see how it works with turkey.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I quit cooking anything but duck or goose without spatchcocking. Chicken, capon, turkey - they're all better off split for smoking. That sauce looks interesting, thanks!

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I quit cooking anything but duck or goose without spatchcocking. Chicken, capon, turkey - they're all better off split for smoking. That sauce looks interesting, thanks!
Your welcome. The original recipe has you fry your chicken breast and when done, you add oil and fry the onion in the same pan without cleaning. The balsamic vinegar gets all of those bits up and incorporates that flavor into the sauce. This is also for two breaststroke of chicken so I will double for my turkey.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I smoked turkey last year and it was great; much better than deep frying. This year my wife oven baked since I was in the hospital with C19.
Sponsored