Uconnect 5 retrofit

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I’m definitely jumping the gun here, but I wanted to get a thread going about the new uconnect 5 (not the 5” base model uconnect 4) coming out this year. I imagine this system will eventually make it to the JL/JT platforms and fingers crossed it would be plug and play into current models.
However in the meantime, I’m curious if anyone else will be trying to swap this unit in.
The new system is android based too, so I’m curious how much freedom 3rd parties will have to develop for it. If any at all...
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I’m definitely jumping the gun here, but I wanted to get a thread going about the new uconnect 5 (not the 5” base model uconnect 4) coming out this year. I imagine this system will eventually make it to the JL/JT platforms and fingers crossed it would be plug and play into current models.
However in the meantime, I’m curious if anyone else will be trying to swap this unit in.
The new system is android based too, so I’m curious how much freedom 3rd parties will have to develop for it. If any at all...
FCA is not likely to allow installation from outside sources, due to security issues. That's what Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are for.

CookieSoup

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Ill be looking into it whenever the Jeeps get a Uconnect 5 system i just want Bluetooth Apple Car play don't care about anything else.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
It was in a different thread but FCA already said there is no backwards compatibility with the current systems. So an OS only upgrade is already dead in the water.

That being said im sure fca will find a way to make it hard to just swap units.

Speedy_12139

First Name
Kenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500, 2011 BMW 335i, (Potental) '21 Rubicon
Occupation
Construction & Renovations
I've been waiting, and waiting, and waiting, for this to be a factory option, but seeing as how it's slowly just being introduced now in new vehicles (I think the new updated Pacifica has it, and these new Wagoneer's, and Grand Cherokee. Will be the first to get it, I'm afraid it'll have to be an even longer wait...

The JL platform is still relatively new (2018), so, it would need to see a mid cycle refresh, to see any major updates, which I would almost assume, would be 2-3 years out from now. Right after Stellantis revamps/updates the rest of the Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep lineup like it so desperately needs...

Shoving hellcat engines into every outdated platform you produce, is starting to get real boring now.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I've been waiting, and waiting, and waiting, for this to be a factory option, but seeing as how it's slowly just being introduced now in new vehicles (I think the new updated Pacifica has it, and these new Wagoneer's, and Grand Cherokee. Will be the first to get it, I'm afraid it'll have to be an even longer wait...
I see your point - but with the exception of the launch (Pacifica) aren't those all 2022s? I will officially panic when the 2022 guide comes out and it's still missing.
Sponsored