Uconnect 5 to 8.4 Issues

redline61

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Having trouble finding solutions and looking for help.

2020 Gladiator with base 5". I bought a used 8.4 from a 2020 Gladiator (68417861AH)

Plugs in, most things work, but backup camera doesn't work and the unit itself is insanely laggy. I know I will need to add a GPS antenna, heater controls, and the auto temp sensor to gain full functionality. From what I saw, I believe the unit should have functioned correctly for the base features though.

I did see a lot of the places selling them indicate that the unit's they sell are "programed for your vin" but cannot find concrete evidence that this is needed but wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong. I found a lot of people that had swapped units from other used vehicles with no problems. Not sure, and would love some help on this one.
Sponsored

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I've read a few threads where people had issues with the 8.4". I had a Cherokee rental and I hated it. Really laggy and the interface was cumbersome.

I also thought I read that they were tied to the Vin or needed a code.

Good Luck. đź‘Ť

OP
OP
redline61

redline61

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Ok, so here is what I figured out. I hope this helps someone.

Tying to vin is bs from what I see. I could be wrong, but I believe as long as you have the security code and the correct screen, the head unit has the ability to adapt.

plug the radio in, and give the car the entire night to adapt. I believe the chipset in the head unit reads the Jeep it is in and updates itself to the new vehicle. This morning, the unit works really well. Backup camera is great, the heater controls have even changed to my base heater. Dual zone is gone, and the temp scale follows my single zone setup perfectly. If I had a volume and power knob this would be excellent. The unit even has a bunch more settings screens and different layout than last night.

very little lag, and what I believe factory installs should feel like. My unit has been in two previous jeeps as well. This is pretty much worse case for a head unit to go through. Haha
As I add the heater controls and gps antenna I will update this thread.

C5C7A4C6-6E34-4942-B743-9CC7861A7288.jpeg

904288EA-D242-4F9A-9A48-3671D87A2F18.jpeg

jeep1

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2024 JLURX
Having done this myself back in the spring ... one potential "gotcha" is the auto-temp sensor.

Installing the controls is easy enough but needs a tazer to enable. It's very likely you are missing the wiring to connect the auto-temp sensor and sun sensor to the BCM and you'll need to splice in the power as well. You probably also need the bezel for the sun sensor.

If you knew this then disregard my ramblings. If not, the folks at NisMopar built the custom harness for me as part of the package.

https://nismopar.com/jeep-gladiator-jt-hvac-control

OP
OP
redline61

redline61

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Thanks @jeep1

I have the sun sensor but don't have the auto climate sensor. Still need to get some odds and ends but wanted to figure out if the big screen had better auto play for Bluetooth streaming. If the little 5" would automatically start streaming my music after a restart, I probably wouldn't have upgraded. I was so happy that when I started the jeep this morning, my music started playing without me having to hit three buttons!

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
One thing people need to understand about radio swaps, adaptations (such as adding passive entry settings) and other changes - it can take up to 24 hours and/or multiple start cycles (opening and closing the door between) to have things "learn" and adapt.
Very little is "plug it in and it works right now".

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Some wiring you can’t buy at the parts counter. You’ll likely want to start looking at salvage companies for wiring bundles.

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Glad you got it all worked out. I actually prefer the manual A/C controls.

I have the a 22' Willys Sport XR Wrangler and the new temp controls are annoying. They're buttons instead of the knobs. No Dual Zone either.
Sponsored