Sponsored

Unusual Noise at 40-50 mph

GreenMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
For those of you playing along at home ...

I think I may have found the Some electrical component that would be active without the engine running and would change based on road speed (???) that I was wondering about.

The electric power steering pump. I believe that the pump motor speed is based on steering input angle and road speed. That would certainly explain why the noise sounds like an electric motor running, and it would also explain why the sound is not constant.

Now I just need to find a way to mount my gopro near the motor to see if I can record it making any noise. Or, like I've said before, I could just keep the radio on.
I have the same noise and it bothers me! This is my 4th Jeep and never experienced it. There was an article on here somewhere showing the bolts/bracket holding bottom of windshield being slightly to one side creating a small air gap. I can’t find it anywhere.
Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know the temperature there but if it's hot the radiator cooling fan could be running

OP
OP
jac04

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
I have the same noise and it bothers me! This is my 4th Jeep and never experienced it. There was an article on here somewhere showing the bolts/bracket holding bottom of windshield being slightly to one side creating a small air gap. I can’t find it anywhere.
My noise doesn't appear to be wind noise. I've taped off every gap around the windshield and back of the hood and it has no impact on the noise. Plus, my windshield frame alignment is excellent. My noise happens at exactly the same speed all the time, and it is not impacted by windy conditions.

OP
OP
jac04

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know the temperature there but if it's hot the radiator cooling fan could be running
It makes the same noise no matter the temperature, although it may be very slightly quieter when it isn't fully warmed up. Also, the noise happens even with the engine shut off & coasting.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Does it sound like this?

Sponsored

GreenMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hahahaha! No.
thankfully not! I’ll try to record mine when the doors are back on. The noise happens every day of the year no matter the weather or temp. Always around 45-50mph and 65+ mph.

OP
OP
jac04

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I still think my sound is the power steering pump motor. The electric power steering pump is mounted on fairly 'squishy' rubber mounts. I shoved a little block of wood in between the bracket and the pump motor this afternoon, and I seemed to quiet it down a little. I removed the wood and put a piece of firm rubber in there to see if it makes a difference. I'd really like to unplug the ps motor to see if the noise goes away, but I'm worried what might happen ... CELs, limp mode, etc.

GreenMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a video clip. You can hear the static noise over the typical road noise come and go when I speed up/down.

OP
OP
jac04

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a video clip. You can hear the static noise over the typical road noise come and go when I speed up/down.
That's an interesting noise, but my noise is completely different. My noise sounds like an electric motor running, but very faint.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
That's an interesting noise, but my noise is completely different. My noise sounds like an electric motor running, but very faint.
Spitballing here but have you tried it in 4WD to see if there is any difference?

OP
OP
jac04

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spitballing here but have you tried it in 4WD to see if there is any difference?
Yeah, I've tried everything I can think of. My noise does not seem to be impacted by any of the following, it always happens at the same speed:
2WD / 4Auto / 4HI
AC on/off
Dash display screen on/off
Fan speed / fan off
Recirc. on/off
Radio on/off
Transmission gear
Engine RPM
Engine running / shut off (coasting)
On / off throttle
On / off of brakes

Last edited:

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I feel for you as I work on aircraft and when the obvious does not pan out, you have to troubleshoot to find the problem by what is not the problem sometimes. Sound complaints are the worst since sounds have a habit of project where one thinks they are at and will totally be from somewhere else. Troubleshooting through the internet and not putting eyes and ears in person does not help.

Another spitballing thing I would try if me is maybe look at the electric steering pump. I know it is a commanded demand system based on operational parameters. I have heard the steering is a bitch to steer with the pump off but if possible, I would pull the fuse to the steering motor pump and see if you can dublicate or not to eliminate that.

OP
OP
jac04

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another spitballing thing I would try if me is maybe look at the electric steering pump. I know it is a commanded demand system based on operational parameters. I have heard the steering is a bitch to steer with the pump off but if possible, I would pull the fuse to the steering motor pump and see if you can dublicate or not to eliminate that.
Update:
I disconnected the power steering pump motor by disconnecting both plugs at the motor.

ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGE IN THE NOISE. Tough to steer, and got a 'service PS system' message, but no change in the noise.

Hmmmm...........

Wheel bearing, front or rear? Lightly dragging parking brake shoe (or something inside the parking brake)? I just don't know.

OP
OP
jac04

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another Update:

In my garage, I put the rear on jackstands, shut off ESC, and slowly ran it up to the speed that it typically makes the most noise - 46-47mph. With the windows down, I could hear the rear end, but it didn't sound 'bad', and the noise didn't get noticeably louder at 46-47mph like I have noticed previosly with the windows closed. So, I figured the noise must be coming from the front end. However, with the windows closed, I could definitely hear the noise and it 'spiked' at 46-47mph. So, the noise is related to the transmission/driveshaft/rear end.

I had my son ramp up speed while I used my mechanics stethoscope on the rear end, driveshaft center bearing, and transmission output. It seems to be the input pinion bearing making the noise, but it is fairly consistent. So, outside the vehicle 'by ear' or with the stethosope the rear end noise sounds fairly normal, although slightly higher frequency than I would expect, and it varies drectly with speed - no spikes in volume. Driving down the road with the windows open, I can't hear anything abnormal sounding at all - even when next to a jersey barrier or going under an overpass at the critical 46-47mph speed.

So, I can only notice the noise with all the windows shut and the radio off, and it seems to have a resonance at 46-47mph and again at 58mph.

Next step is to look at the parking brake cables, since they are attached to the rear diff via a metal bracket almost directly above the pinion bearing area.
Sponsored