Urea smell

Granitelvr

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Has anyone been smelling urea coming through the AC or into the cab? I have had a couple instances where it is noticeably present and I can’t figure out what scenario is particularly causing it.
Sponsored

GibbonsMonkey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator; 2020 Ford F350
Never. I did smell it all over my shoes this weekend while doing a fill though!

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Never through the vent. Only on my hand while filling and spilled some.

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
It's probably the cabin air filter behind the glove box. It's in the user manual.

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator HA Diesel, 21 Silverado LT Diesel
Occupation
CTO
Nope. No issues with that at all.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Granitelvr

Granitelvr

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
When you say it’s the cabin air filter, you mean what? I am a pretty daft hand at this vehicle stuff. I am aware of what and where cabin filters are and what they accomplish. However, I’ve never had one smell like urea. I have had condensation build up from the AC smell in other vehicles, yes. Smelling exactly like the BS I have to dump in my tank, no. I just wanted to start this thread so when others have this occur we can track it down and have a fix for it. Every vehicle has its quirks and shortcomings, communities like this help get these fixed, especially when dealerships and parent companies plead ignorance to widespread issues.

GibbonsMonkey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator; 2020 Ford F350
…especially when dealerships and parent companies plead ignorance to widespread issues.
I would be very surprised if this is one of those widespread issues you reference.

OP
OP
Granitelvr

Granitelvr

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
So, a question, do people smell urea outside the vehicle at any given time? When driving? Start up? Under load? Maybe after a fill and spill and it seeps in between the wheel fender and gets on something hot after you drive off? If I smell it in the cab through the HVAC then it’s coming from outside the vehicle. I just haven’t smelled it after turn off or windows rolled down driving. Granted it’s hovering around 100 degrees in these parts right now, so not a lot of window down time. I am burning 2.5 gallons of DEF approximately every 1500-2500 miles depending on passes and towing.

OP
OP
Granitelvr

Granitelvr

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
So, I just did a 170 mile max tow. I am definitely subtly smelling Urea through the vents when pulling sustained grades. Which correlates to my Urea gauge declining at an increased pace.just an update. Also, did a remote start, I can’t smell urea coming from the exhaust at all. I will keep posting my findings.
Sponsored