First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Director
Looking at adding either 67 Designs or Bulletproof phone mount up on the dash but don't want the USB cable for charging/Android Auto hanging across the center stack.

Does anyone know if the USB on the back of the media center ports on the dash could be split behind the dash and a USB run up to come out the top of the dash in the little tray up there? I have not had a chance to tear into my dash yet so figured I would see what others have seen in there before I got too crazy.

I'm a little OCD with cables and would love to have a clean(er) install for this. Thanks!
Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
While I love the clean look if its for the porpose of charging multiple devices then I would look for a different solution. USB from most devices such as the head units provide very little amperage. I would look for something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Ginsco-Charger-Socket-Outlet-2-1Aļ¼ˆ4-2Aļ¼‰/dp/B01N6S2SNM/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=auto+usb&qid=1602810970&sr=8-7

Unless your specifically needing the USB to interface with the head unit (like android auto or apple carplay) I would avoid using that USB.

Also using something like that above you can grab power really easily with this & not have to cut any factory wiring.

https://www.amazon.com/Royalo-Adapt...ds=jeep+gladiator+power&qid=1602811187&sr=8-3

OP
OP
Daddio319

Daddio319

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
For my use, its just for Android Auto interface to the factory radio and charging for my primary phone.

Didnt know if it would be an easy USB A style plug split or something else. I did something similar on my Silverado pickup with a cheap USB splitter.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For my use, its just for Android Auto interface to the factory radio and charging for my primary phone.

Didnt know if it would be an easy USB A style plug split or something else. I did something similar on my Silverado pickup with a cheap USB splitter.
You can always try a cheap USB hub, but the power is split.. So if the head unit is putting out 500mah & you have 2 devices its cutting down to 250mah per device. Some modern phones are capable of charging using over 5a (5000mah). So while the quick charge isnt really necessary if your using GPS with display on & maybe a cellular connection as well 250mah may not even be enough to keep the device from slowly draining while using it.

Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Very true @bastage

Thinking about a simple splitter like This, to support a single phone
Yeah thats a simple non powered hub. If your good with possibly having to do it again then try it & see if it works. It wont hurt anything to try. So worst case scenario you waste 9 bucks & do it again later with a solution that provides more power.

BuckeyeJeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Finance
I saw Honda and some others (Chrysler) announced wireless CarPlay today. Iā€™m wondering if our Gladiators will be upgradable to this???

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I saw Honda and some others (Chrysler) announced wireless CarPlay today. Iā€™m wondering if our Gladiators will be upgradable to this???
Not likely. If I read right there is a slight hardware change to enable wireless carplay. You can use an adapter like cplay2air to get it though. I bought one & put it in the center console & used some velcro tape to stick it to the side. So its out of site, out of mind. I just get in & it works.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I did this
Jeep Gladiator USB split behind dash? FCD4404C-4126-4AAC-B2EA-BAB2532393BD

If you pull everything up behind the screen, itā€™s easy to cut it.

Iā€™ve been slowly making progress on a printable plate to fill in the hole.
Thats Clean... I like your implementation there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Daddio319

Daddio319

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
Agreed, very clean! Would love to have 3D printing capability at home. I have access to one at work but am not able to use it for personal projects.

I have not had a chance to tear into my dash yet- do the USB and aux cables unplug from the back of that Media Center plate? I am assuming they do and usb is a standard USB type a cable end?

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Not likely. If I read right there is a slight hardware change to enable wireless carplay. You can use an adapter like cplay2air to get it though. I bought one & put it in the center console & used some velcro tape to stick it to the side. So its out of site, out of mind. I just get in & it works.
Uconnect 5 will have wireless CarPlay. I thought Iā€™d read all new hardware was needed for Uconnect 5, as it is a rebuilt from the ground up Android system; so no upgrades for those vehicles with Uconnect 4. Maybe the 2022 models will have it?

cplay2air or a new head unit would be needed for current JT owners.

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
Agreed, very clean! Would love to have 3D printing capability at home. I have access to one at work but am not able to use it for personal projects.

I have not had a chance to tear into my dash yet- do the USB and aux cables unplug from the back of that Media Center plate? I am assuming they do and usb is a standard USB type a cable end?
Everything unplugs from the back. it takes a little untangling of the harness to get the distance you need, but no major modifications.

This is the back of the media center in the location I moved it to.

Jeep Gladiator USB split behind dash? 9F7DB731-CE86-4CBC-A56C-40FC6229EA56

OP
OP
Daddio319

Daddio319

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
Everything unplugs from the back. it takes a little untangling of the harness to get the distance you need, but no major modifications.

This is the back of the media center in the location I moved it to.

Jeep Gladiator USB split behind dash? 9F7DB731-CE86-4CBC-A56C-40FC6229EA56
Perfect! Thanks for the picture of that

UncleChanBlake

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport
Occupation
Education
I have the 12volt socket in my dash. I just added a charging port and cable there. Apparently , two of the usb ports in the rear of the center console are charging only. Might snake a cable from back there instead.
Sponsored