First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator eco diesel overland
Occupation
Retired Army
Ok I have not seen any post on this yet. Wondering about these nice little vent caps placed on the very short vent tube on transfer case: are they a one way only style cap. It sits right above transfer reach over from right side and you will feel it. Or use snake camera. Most everything you read tells us to move all vents to higher position for deep water. I have done this on most all past 4x4s (heavy chevys) however there is no room to work on the new jeeps. I also watched video on the older gladiators and they had same kinda vent cap and the guy said ”even thought the cap is one way” he moved it anyway. I can’t get mine off lol. So I leaning on the fact that jeep so called engineers would have made both the transmission (can’t even find it’s vent tube) and transfer case vent caps a one way only. Does the transfer and trans have enough gas pressure to keep water out anyway?? help please you most wonderful gear heads 😁😁😁
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Does the transfer and trans have enough gas pressure to keep water out anyway??
What happens is your transfer case or transmission or differentials are warm. You hit cold water and the air inside contracts and you get a lower pressure.
These special vents should maintain some pressure as they aren't a free flowing type of vent like the old days (which were only sort of one-way)

They are supposed to allow air but not water to flow is the idea behind the new vents.

OP
OP
Little diesel

Little diesel

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Army
What happens is your transfer case or transmission or differentials are warm. You hit cold water and the air inside contracts and you get a lower pressure.
These special vents should maintain some pressure as they aren't a free flowing type of vent like the old days (which were only sort of one-way)

They are supposed to allow air but not water to flow is the idea behind the new vents.
Thanks I was thinking it was more advanced and no need to move to higher locations

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
Ok I have not seen any post on this yet. Wondering about these nice little vent caps placed on the very short vent tube on transfer case: are they a one way only style cap. It sits right above transfer reach over from right side and you will feel it. Or use snake camera. Most everything you read tells us to move all vents to higher position for deep water. I have done this on most all past 4x4s (heavy chevys) however there is no room to work on the new jeeps. I also watched video on the older gladiators and they had same kinda vent cap and the guy said ”even thought the cap is one way” he moved it anyway. I can’t get mine off lol. So I leaning on the fact that jeep so called engineers would have made both the transmission (can’t even find it’s vent tube) and transfer case vent caps a one way only. Does the transfer and trans have enough gas pressure to keep water out anyway?? help please you most wonderful gear heads 😁😁😁
These same great engineers put a massive hole in the manual transmission right above the clutch and throw out bearing. I tend to only give them some credit, but I think we know where their priorities are forced unfortunately.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Little diesel

Little diesel

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Army
These same great engineers put a massive hole in the manual transmission right above the clutch and throw out bearing. I tend to only give them some credit, but I think we know where their priorities are forced unfortunately.
Indeed, seems the corporation make so much money off the maintenance side they don’t want stuff to last forever and not even gonna get into the EPA/GOVERNMENT OVER REACH bologna lol

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
Indeed, seems the corporation make so much money off the maintenance side they don’t want stuff to last forever and not even gonna get into the EPA/GOVERNMENT OVER REACH bologna lol
The world we live in unfortunetly. The great depression (others debate it started elsewhere, still) introduced us and companies to planned obsolecense, and it has only gotten worse and average consumers love it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That's the self-cleaning feature. You are supposed to drive through deep water now and then to rinse the clutch off.

(please, no one actually do that!)
Sponsored