First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I live in Northern California, We have not had any measurable rain in over 8 months. We are currently on fire again. I envy any place that has rain.
I live in Northern California too. Not sure what this rain thing is. Sounds magical.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
not sure how yours doesnā€™t do this. Either you havenā€™t been out when itā€™s been raining enough or you are parking on an off angle surface. My garage is completely level and it evenly comes in both doors, right on the mat, not on the sil.

itā€™s to the point where if my wife and I are out and itā€™s pouring, we wait in the garage for 15-20 seconds to let the rain drain off the channels.
If you look closely at the drip rails on the freedom panels, painted vs. non-painted (body color vs. black) and the seal in the area adjacent to the front end of the drip rail you will likely find minor differences in the shape of the front end of the trough of the drip rail, the seal there and other body parts and shapes. Water tends to follow curves, for airplanes and kids' games, the effect would be the Coandă effect.
Water will follow the path of whatever it's flowing over until the weight of the water overcomes that effect and surface tension. So if a painted drip rail has a slightly different shape, the water will flow differently before dropping off. Similar for that seal at the front edge of the panel. Looking at several Jeeps on the dealer lot this am while waiting for my wife's GC to get a whole new nav/radio unit, I looked for differences in that area. But what I noticed about most of them is that while sitting perfectly level, if you hung a plumb bob from the front end of the drip rail, and IF the water followed that path, it wouldn't hit the mat inside in most cases.

Anyway, that Coandă effect could maybe? be used to your advantage - modify the shape of the area where the water exits the drip rail - even VERY SLIGHTLY - should have an impact on the path it takes. For black tops the solution could be as simple as some black silicone sealer. Perhaps a rat-tail file taken to the drip rail (unpainted tops)
There's a reason those fancy home rain gutters sometimes work, and that they put a drip edge on the outer edges of roofs - water will follow the surface it's on until the weight of the water overcomes surface tension and the effect to follow the curve of a surface.

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Silicone at the front of the drainage rails fixes this issue.
Just using silicone to block it ? Wouldn't it just back up over the edges

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You can also redirect some of it by not fully plugging the front end. Redirect it in a way.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
If you look closely at the drip rails on the freedom panels, painted vs. non-painted (body color vs. black) and the seal in the area adjacent to the front end of the drip rail you will likely find minor differences in the shape of the front end of the trough of the drip rail, the seal there and other body parts and shapes. Water tends to follow curves, for airplanes and kids' games, the effect would be the Coandă effect.
Water will follow the path of whatever it's flowing over until the weight of the water overcomes that effect and surface tension. So if a painted drip rail has a slightly different shape, the water will flow differently before dropping off. Similar for that seal at the front edge of the panel. Looking at several Jeeps on the dealer lot this am while waiting for my wife's GC to get a whole new nav/radio unit, I looked for differences in that area. But what I noticed about most of them is that while sitting perfectly level, if you hung a plumb bob from the front end of the drip rail, and IF the water followed that path, it wouldn't hit the mat inside in most cases.

Anyway, that Coandă effect could maybe? be used to your advantage - modify the shape of the area where the water exits the drip rail - even VERY SLIGHTLY - should have an impact on the path it takes. For black tops the solution could be as simple as some black silicone sealer. Perhaps a rat-tail file taken to the drip rail (unpainted tops)
There's a reason those fancy home rain gutters sometimes work, and that they put a drip edge on the outer edges of roofs - water will follow the surface it's on until the weight of the water overcomes surface tension and the effect to follow the curve of a surface.
so there must be a design difference in the hardtop and soft premium top. That channel on mine lands right on the mat!!

Reactions: BAT

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
We learned all these tricks when we rented a JLU in Kauai

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
so there must be a design difference in the hardtop and soft premium top. That channel on mine lands right on the mat!!
Of course there will be differences - even among the hard tops there will be minor differences. There are always tolerances, even in today's technology. There's also that freedom panel seal that I notice varies a tiny bit between vehicles, and if you take the panels off and put them back on you could change that seal position by just enough........... water follows surfaces, even UP a small amount at times. Any curve change, and you change the path for the water.
Why wouldn't the soft top channels and the hard top drip rails differ?
I can show differences even on cars as far as how the water runs.
Then you have folks who lift and level - and they are changing the behavior of that water a pretty fair amount. (for the better in many cases, I bet)

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Of course there will be differences - even among the hard tops there will be minor differences. There are always tolerances, even in today's technology. There's also that freedom panel seal that I notice varies a tiny bit between vehicles, and if you take the panels off and put them back on you could change that seal position by just enough........... water follows surfaces, even UP a small amount at times. Any curve change, and you change the path for the water.
Why wouldn't the soft top channels and the hard top drip rails differ?
I can show differences even on cars as far as how the water runs.
Then you have folks who lift and level - and they are changing the behavior of that water a pretty fair amount. (for the better in many cases, I bet)
you are right about the leveling ... I leveled my front and the rush of water isnā€™t as bad... it decreased the angle toward the front door , thus a little less rush of water when opening the door.

this should be a added point to the soft vs hard top Conversation... the premium soft top channel will leak all over you!

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
you are right about the leveling ... I leveled my front and the rush of water isnā€™t as bad... it decreased the angle toward the front door , thus a little less rush of water when opening the door.

this should be a added point to the soft vs hard top Conversation... the premium soft top channel will leak all over you!
I bet that's a big difference because from what I've seen looking at the Sports on the dealer lots with the soft tops, the very top seems to be a little bit less wide up there.
It only takes a slightly different shape or size to change the flow of water.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Fantastic suggestion for all you hydrophobics
You are suggesting any JT owner with rabies should silicone the front ends of their drip rails?