Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT-S/MT &'10 Wrangler JKU-S
Occupation
Retired (military & civil service)
Vehicle Showcase
Curious what the weight of the stock bumpers (i.e., weight of front bumper and weight of rear bumper) on a 2021 Gladiator Sport S would be?
Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I still have my whole plastic assembly downstairs. I will get you weights. I would guess 50 +/- all in.

OP
OP
PicklesJ

PicklesJ

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Don't go to too much trouble on my behalf! :)
When you say plastic, I assume you mean the steel bumper with the plastic covers?
I am close to pulling the trigger on a stubby front bumper that weighs under 70 lbs, and I'm curious how much extra weight I'd be adding (difference between stock bumper and "upgrade").

GladnotSad

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
VP Ops
The steel Mopar winch bumper weighs just under 70lbs. I just had one shipped to me.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Main bumper is 33.2
Metal skid is 2lb 9.3oz
Plastic skirt on top is 15.5oz see
Plastic skid is about 3lb

Last edited:

Sponsored

AllMoparParts.com

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT's!
Curious what the weight of the stock bumpers (i.e., weight of front bumper and weight of rear bumper) on a 2021 Gladiator Sport S would be?
I would not rely on the following if you are trying to arrange a shipment etc..

Since the bumpers are sold in pieces there is no total given. Mopar has the bumper itself at 11 lbs and the reinforcement at 6lbs.

- Benny

OP
OP
PicklesJ

PicklesJ

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Main bumper is 33.2
Merrell skid is 2lb 9.3oz
Plastic skirt on top is 15.5oz see
Plastic skid is about 3lb
Thanks much! So I'll be going from around 50 lbs to around 65 lbs, an increase of 15 or so. That is acceptable.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Thanks much! So I'll be going from around 50 lbs to around 65 lbs, an increase of 15 or so. That is acceptable.
It's 40 all in but yeah it's not a ton more if you go to an all steel stubby. It's the full width steelies that are super heavy.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
@j.o.y.ride has the same numbers as me (roughly) on the front... I took off about 38lbs with the stock Sport parts including all the extra bits and pieces.

Rear is quite a bit lighter than the front. If you're asking this because you want to replace and save weight, JCR rear is the way to go because you replace the hitch too that probably weighs 2-3x what the bumper weighs.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
@LostWoods the hitch only comes with the tow package. And there are after market bumpers that will let you keep the hitch.
Jeep Gladiator Weight of Stock Bumpers f333e738-3575-4d19-aed5-c683c172b086-jpe

The non-tow trucks still have 95% of the hitch assembly and from what the dealer tech told me, they are very similar in weight. The non-tow package hitch just hooks under the bumper at the rear so you can do a ball mount.

But also, as you can see, the bumper mounts to the hitch assembly, not the frame, and there's a lot of metal (and weight) to be lost but ditching the factory hitch. It also allows tucking the bumper much closer for that extra little bit of departure.

It's all about net weight and while almost everyone lets you keep the hitch, I personally don't intend to use this truck to tow more than is absolutely necessary so a 115lb JCR bumper weighs a lot less than a 75+lb bumper from someone else if it means retaining a 60+ lb hitch.

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
Jeep Gladiator Weight of Stock Bumpers f333e738-3575-4d19-aed5-c683c172b086-jpe

The non-tow trucks still have 95% of the hitch assembly and from what the dealer tech told me, they are very similar in weight. The non-tow package hitch just hooks under the bumper at the rear so you can do a ball mount.

But also, as you can see, the bumper mounts to the hitch assembly, not the frame, and there's a lot of metal (and weight) to be lost but ditching the factory hitch. It also allows tucking the bumper much closer for that extra little bit of departure.

It's all about net weight and while almost everyone lets you keep the hitch, I personally don't intend to use this truck to tow more than is absolutely necessary so a 115lb JCR bumper weighs a lot less than a 75+lb bumper from someone else if it means retaining a 60+ lb hitch.
On my truck my rule of thumb is I will not replace any factory part if the new part weighs more. I have a Mojave so lightness is key. This rule basically is preventing me from getting a new front bumper, but you’re saying the JCR Vanguard rear bumper is lighter than my stock bumper with factory tow hitch?

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
On my truck my rule of thumb is I will not replace any factory part if the new part weighs more. I have a Mojave so lightness is key. This rule basically is preventing me from getting a new front bumper, but you’re saying the JCR Vanguard rear bumper is lighter than my stock bumper with factory tow hitch?
No it does add some weight but it's much less than others. I don't know the weight of the rear steel bumper and rear rocker protection but I'd imagine it's not a huge amount added once it's all removed.

You definitely need to compromise because you're adding parts that didn't exist before and protection is important. I can do your homework for you on this one... Rock Hard mid-width aluminum front is a total wash to the factory bumper, Artec aluminum belly pan adds like 20lbs to factory, keep the factory sliders, and the JCR adds what I guess is about 20-30lbs to the steel rear bumper assuming you have the factory rocker protection too. That's basically my large beer cooler in weight for massively improved protection.

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
No it does add some weight but it's much less than others. I don't know the weight of the rear steel bumper and rear rocker protection but I'd imagine it's not a huge amount added once it's all removed.

You definitely need to compromise because you're adding parts that didn't exist before and protection is important. I can do your homework for you on this one... Rock Hard mid-width aluminum front is a total wash to the factory bumper, Artec aluminum belly pan adds like 20lbs to factory, keep the factory sliders, and the JCR adds what I guess is about 20-30lbs to the steel rear bumper assuming you have the factory rocker protection too. That's basically my large beer cooler in weight for massively improved protection.

Per JCR, the Vanguard rear bumper is 115lbs. Anyone know the combined weight of the stock rear plastic bumper and tow hitch?

I got my eye on the mid-width Rock Hard aluminum. If they’d have had a Black Friday sale I would have pounced.

My personal requirements are so specific I’m really limited. For instance on a front bumper, I do not want a winch so finding one that is light and not designed for a winch is rare. I think that RH fits the bill.

On the JCR, if the increased weight is minimal, I’d trade that off for the superior strength and greater departure angle. The factory tow hitch kills the departure angle.
Sponsored