Sponsored

Well here comes model year # 2 and still no E-Lockers from the "aftermarket".

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Uparms,
The shop near me (Trail Jeeps) has been putting Eaton E-lockers into aftermarket axles for the JT. The owner of the shop, Wes, told me that the Eaton E-lockers can be wired to the Rubicon switches, and then the switch gear works just like it did from the factory. Because they can use the factory switches, Eaton is now their preference over ARB air-lockers (no need for aftermarket switches and drilling into the dash). You could probably wire the ARB lockers to the factory Aux switches if you have them though.

P.S. I don't work for Trail Jeeps or Eaton. Just trying to pass on some info.
It’s just a solenoid for the arb’s.. Almost any switch would work. I’m using the factory aux switches.
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
What aftermarket axles? Like D60's? Or changing the axles in the D44 to a spline count the E-lockers use?

Hey Uparms,
The shop near me (Trail Jeeps) has been putting Eaton E-lockers into aftermarket axles for the JT. The owner of the shop, Wes, told me that the Eaton E-lockers can be wired to the Rubicon switches, and then the switch gear works just like it did from the factory. Because they can use the factory switches, Eaton is now their preference over ARB air-lockers (no need for aftermarket switches and drilling into the dash). You could probably wire the ARB lockers to the factory Aux switches if you have them though.

P.S. I don't work for Trail Jeeps or Eaton. Just trying to pass on some info.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What aftermarket axles? Like D60's? Or changing the axles in the D44 to a spline count the E-lockers use?
Pretty much EVERY aftermarket axle option can use an e-locker. The only ones I know of based on the dana 44 advantek are the mopar front's & they come with an e-locker (same as in the rubicon stock front). Everything else is using the older more common dana 44, 60, 80 & I Believe the Currie 9" is also available.

My shop also prefer's to install e-lockers over ARB's for most customers. They said it basically comes down to maintenance. They are a simpler solution and less to go wrong with customer's rig's. They made it clear the ARB's were typically preferred for hardcore use, but you gotta have a little better idea of whats going on to repair on the trail as there are 2 wires a switch & an airline driving each lockers instead of just 2 wires and a switch.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Sure, I was just curious what the shop was using for their conversion. I've seen a couple of references to 35 spline upgrades, wondered if that put an e-locker on the table. Swapping an entire axle assembly to get an e-locker seems excessive, but upgrading the axles themselves seems within reason.

Pretty much EVERY aftermarket axle option can use an e-locker. The only ones I know of based on the dana 44 advantek are the mopar front's & they come with an e-locker (same as in the rubicon stock front). Everything else is using the older more common dana 44, 60, 80 & I Believe the Currie 9" is also available.

My shop also prefer's to install e-lockers over ARB's for most customers. They said it basically comes down to maintenance. They are a simpler solution and less to go wrong with customer's rig's. They made it clear the ARB's were typically preferred for hardcore use, but you gotta have a little better idea of whats going on to repair on the trail as there are 2 wires a switch & an airline driving each lockers instead of just 2 wires and a switch.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sure, I was just curious what the shop was using for their conversion. I've seen a couple of references to 35 spline upgrades, wondered if that put an e-locker on the table. Swapping an entire axle assembly to get an e-locker seems excessive, but upgrading the axles themselves seems within reason.

No 35 spline doesn’t being an e locker into play. ARB made the regular 32 spline lockers (rd245) to work with everything but the rubicon specific axle shafts and only needed to change a couple of minor parts to allow bigger stronger 35 spline (rd246) axle shafts as well. From there Dutchman is making 35 spline rear shafts and rcv is making 35 spline fronts. I will have the 35 spline rear and rd246 locker in the next week or so. For the front I’m starting with the 32 spline stock shafts for now and will upgrade to the 32 spline rcv front shafts when I brag the stock ones or they can be had in a reasonable amount of time. May consider other after market front shafts if anything that fits (I’m on a max tow and only max tow specific front length shafts will work)
Sponsored